Left 4 Dead 2

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

More zombies, new characters, new settings, new campaigns, new healing items, new weapons, melee weapons!, new special infected, new play modes, etc.

Awesome just got better.

More zombies:
-There are a fuckload (that's the actual technical term) more zombies this time around. Both in variety and the sheer amount coming at you at any time.
-When the swarms hit at the end of levels...WOW! You've never seen anything like it in gaming.
-Zombie clowns. Not only do you hear their shoes honking as they walk or run, but you can hit them in the face with the butt of your gun and "honk" their nose.

New characters:
-No idea what their jobs were, with the exception of the football coach, but it's two white guys, a black guy (the coach), and a black girl.

New settings:
-You're down south.
-Some levels occur in the daytime.
-Roads, carnivals, rock concerts, malls, etc.

New campaigns:
-5 in all, and they make Left 4 Dead's campaigns seem dull in comparison.

New healing items:
-Adrenaline which makes you do things faster.
-A defibrillator for bringing back fallen companions.

New weapons:
-3 different military automatic rifles.
-2 different handguns
-2 different shotguns (maybe 3)
-toxin bombs
-Melee weapons (covered next)
And that's just what I've seen so far

Melee Weapons:
-a bat
-a cricket bat
-a katana
-a crowbar
-some other things I haven't seen yet
-Oh yeah, a chainsaw, which is badass.
(How this works is you have two slots for weapons. The big guns go into the first slot. handguns and melee weapons go into the second slot.)

New special infected:
-The jumper jumps on a character and takes control making them walk around randomly and unable to defend themselves.
-The spitter shoots toxins creating an area that damages all standing there.
-The charger is like a charging rhino until he hits something hard. Meaning being in his path is bad. After that he'll slam your body into the ground until someone saves you.

New play modes:
-"Realism" means expert difficulty level with few weapons lying about and less "video game" elements like other survivors' silhouettes and no respawning.
-Scavenge mode where survivors try to keep a generator running via gas cannisters spread around a level, while infected players try to stop them.

Etc.:
-Zombies are far more aggressive during the daylight.
-The campaigns tie into one another.
-All the special infected from the first one are back.
-In addition to the 3 new special infected, there are 5 "uncommon" infected.
-Incredible intro movie, just as good as L4D's
-Remember how I said L4D is the ultimate co-op game requiring more cooperation than any game in history? This game ups that.
-Remember the "Amazing Race" inspired gnome from Half-Life 2: Episode 2? He might be back...

Those of you who played the ultra buggy and boring Serious Sam 2 co-op should be ashamed of yourselves for not playing this...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

My Video Card died, and I'm waiting on a new one. I want to play more LFD2.

I sad :(

Edited By Troy on 1259614933
Troy

Post by Troy »

Fake edit!

4 Shotguns!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

This game requires teamwork in a massive way. Even the swarms at normal difficulty level take out two folk if you aren't paying attention.

Melee weapons are fucking awesome. At least half my kills come from the ax & katana. Brilliant way to conserve ammo & kill the undead when you can get them in narrow parts of the map.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:-Remember the "Amazing Race" inspired gnome from Half-Life 2: Episode 2? He might be back...
Oh god... the one you need to pick up at the beginning and carry through the entire game, and put it on the rocket?

Just the thought of attempting that achievement makes me shudder.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Oh god... the one you need to pick up at the beginning and carry through the entire game, and put it on the rocket?

It's fucking brutal. I didn't make it the one time I've tried so far.

Although, if one player gets in the rescue vehicle with it, all 4 players get the achievement, so that's cool.

I cannot stress enough to you how much faster and more insane this plays than the original. The waves of zombies are bigger, faster, and endless depending on certain factors.

This game requires teamwork in a massive way.

I think this is the pinnacle of co-op to date.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

The amount of required teamwork in certain parts of this game is almost overwhelming at first. It's great.

Playing as Survivors one time in versus we reached a part where we all had to jump down into sewer, and I decided that since I was the lowest health, I would pause for a second and give myself an adrenaline shot. Forgot to tell the rest of the team, and in the 5 seconds it took for me to grab it and use it, they all jumped down the sewer and a smoker grabbed me and killed me.

Even the smallest little actions that aren't working with the team can totally fuck you and everyone else up. In the earlier case, they got halfway through the sewer pipe and got jumped by three infected who neutralized everyone, with an extra survivor it wouldn't have been a big deal and I could have saved everyone.

Edited By Troy on 1259681906
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Indeed. If you can get four people within earshot all going via SysLink, that's the way to go. Used to have kick-ass Halo sessions that way.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:Indeed. If you can get four people within earshot all going via SysLink, that's the way to go. Used to have kick-ass Halo sessions that way.
Back in 1997 we were multi-ing Duke3D in an office with our phones speakered and teleconferenced so we could have voice.

We were way ahead of the voice curve.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

And I was the only one with a sound card, so I had to aim a speaker at my phone so that everyone could hear what I was hearing.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Those were good times.

Remember all the invisible trip mines and Lou Bruce, the human bullet catcher?

Troy and Malcolm, you guys have the PC version or 360 version? (My Steam ID is Leisher...just in case.)

I would love to get a dtman team going in L4D2. As it is, I'll probably wind up with strangers or friends from the TF2 server.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:Those were good times.

Remember all the invisible trip mines and Lou Bruce, the human bullet catcher?

Troy and Malcolm, you guys have the PC version or 360 version? (My Steam ID is Leisher...just in case.)

I would love to get a dtman team going in L4D2. As it is, I'll probably wind up with strangers or friends from the TF2 server.
PC... I'm out of commission until my new video card arrives though.

I think you're on my steam list.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

My buddy has the 360 version.
Troy

Post by Troy »

New vid card came in, played a lot last night.

LOVE THIS GAME. Got on a great team last night, actually doing coordinated attacks as infected, people were rage quitting left and right. It was glorious.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I'm allegedly getting a pay rise at work, so I'll be able to squirrel away enough to get a decent laptop.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

What the hell use are the shotguns? They take for-fucking-ever to reload.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Malcolm wrote:What the hell use are the shotguns? They take for-fucking-ever to reload.
1 shooting witches.

The autoshotguns are impressive for sheer crowd control and against SI in versus.

Regular shotguns do suck.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Troy wrote:
Malcolm wrote:What the hell use are the shotguns? They take for-fucking-ever to reload.
1 shooting witches.
My buddy packs shotty most of the time & I pick assault rifles or SMGs. I typically do more damage to the witch.

The auto-shotties do rock ass.
Troy

Post by Troy »

With a shotgun, you can go up behind the witch and one-shot her from point blank range.

I think the L4D term is "crowning".
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Troy wrote:With a shotgun, you can go up behind the witch and one-shot her from point blank range.

I think the L4D term is "crowning".
Chainsaw tears her a new asshole, too. Maybe my favourite new weapon.