Metro Exodus

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

The next Metro game will be more of an open world.

I can't recommend the first two games enough. The world they built is so unique. I've rarely been so immersed in a FPS. Each can be found during Steam sales for $5. No excuse for not playing them if you're an FPS fan.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

Just became an Epic exclusive, but they'll honor Steam sales through Steam until it gets removed later today.

Steam has a message up on the store page essentially blasting this exclusivity bullshit.

Do I immediately buy it through Steam to show exclusivity sucks or do I boycott it? Not sure what to do.
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

Apparently this was not the developer's decision, but the publisher's. The developer is paid, but this increases the publisher's cut. Also, Epic is apparently offsetting some of the cost of each copy to try and get people to buy it on their store. ($10 a copy.)
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

"Will Metro Exodus ever return to Steam?
Yes - Metro Exodus will return to Steam and on other store fronts after 14th February 2020."
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

Still might pre-order it today because I love the franchise. Glad it'll be back on Steam in a year's time.
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy

Metro Exodus

Post by Cakedaddy »

Epic doesn't allow reviews? And when they do, the developer has to opt-in? They are REALLY about the developers. Which seems good, except, in this case, it prevents other users from warning people off of a shit product. "Our game is shitty. I think we'll sell more copies if nobody knows that." Because review bombing and other gaming the system is a real problem. Probably only for those that try to game the consumer.

As far as Metro being exclusive. . . I don't see a problem with that.
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: As far as Metro being exclusive. . . I don't see a problem with that.
Except for the whole lack of choice thing. Exclusivity isn't competition, it's the opposite. Currently Epic Games, who have a long history of EA-like business moves, is using exclusivity deals to try and make waves. They're doing this instead of working on their launcher and making it actually have features.
Cakedaddy

Metro Exodus

Post by Cakedaddy »

Ok, yes, they are making waves and it's part of a marketing plan. But, it IS saving consumers $10 right now. I feel like Epic existing IS creating competition where Steam used to be a monopoly.

That being said, I never felt ripped off by Steam. I have MANY games I've bought for what I think were basement clearance prices. So, did they need competition? Based on Epic's model, the developers are benefiting the most from this competition. Except for people who wanted Metro. They are benefiting right now as well. Will be interesting to see if/when it goes on sale. Will Epic sales be as good as Steam? On shared content, of course they will. On exclusives? We'll see.

But from purely the standpoint of exclusivity, I don't see a problem with it, as long as they don't use it to screw the consumer. Which this week, they are not. Lets see how evil they get.
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: I feel like Epic existing IS creating competition where Steam used to be a monopoly.
Steam is NOT a monopoly. They are simply the biggest fish in the pond. Origin, UPlay, MS Store, Apple store, Google Store, independent developers, GOG, Humble Bundle, etc. all sell the same games as Steam or even games Steam doesn't have. Thus, Steam is NOT a monopoly.
Cakedaddy wrote: That being said, I never felt ripped off by Steam. I have MANY games I've bought for what I think were basement clearance prices.
Ditto.
Cakedaddy wrote: So, did they need competition? Based on Epic's model, the developers are benefiting the most from this competition.
Yep, and there's a clear disdain for consumers. Remember, this is the company that said PCs were for Farmville. Although, be careful throwing around the word competition. Exclusivity deals aren't competition.
Cakedaddy wrote: Except for people who wanted Metro. They are benefiting right now as well.
And people who wanted The Division 2. Also, please explain how they're benefiting.
Cakedaddy wrote: But from purely the standpoint of exclusivity, I don't see a problem with it, as long as they don't use it to screw the consumer. Which this week, they are not. Lets see how evil they get.
Again, go do some research on Epic Games, and I think you'll see they're EA Jr. They have typically preferred consoles. They don't give a fuck about us or giving us features. They're simply going to try to buy the market instead of giving us features and good games. And yes, they are screwing the consumers. "Here's $10 off so you don't question us taking away your ability to choose." They could have easily asked for the game to be released on Epic AS WELL, and then offered it cheaper. They didn't. They overpaid to take it away from their competitor, consumers be damned. The additional $10 off is essentially a bribe.
Cakedaddy

Metro Exodus

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Steam is NOT a monopoly. They are simply the biggest fish in the pond. Origin, UPlay, MS Store, Apple store, Google Store, independent developers, GOG, Humble Bundle, etc. all sell the same games as Steam or even games Steam doesn't have. Thus, Steam is NOT a monopoly.
I know.
Leisher wrote: Exclusivity deals aren't competition.
They are between providers. And in this case, the consumers wins $10.
Leisher wrote: And people who wanted The Division 2. Also, please explain how they're benefiting.
Don't know anything about this one. I'm guessing it's Epic only and no discount. So, they aren't winning here. BUT, it would have been the same price on Steam. So, not winning, not losing. Unless Epic doesn't work for you.
Leisher wrote: Again, go do some research on Epic Games, and I think you'll see they're EA Jr. They have typically preferred consoles. They don't give a fuck about us or giving us features. They're simply going to try to buy the market instead of giving us features and good games. And yes, they are screwing the consumers. "Here's $10 off so you don't question us taking away your ability to choose." They could have easily asked for the game to be released on Epic AS WELL, and then offered it cheaper. They didn't. They overpaid to take it away from their competitor, consumers be damned. The additional $10 off is essentially a bribe.
I believe you.

But I'm not against exclusivity, unless it costs me more money. I already have multiple platforms I'm using (Steam, Humble, GOG, IndieGala, Blizzard). One more at this point isn't killing me. Plus I got a free game from them. So far GO EPIC!! But I'm not naive. I don't have high hopes for them thinking I'm awesome.
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

Epic is simply bribing companies and gamers to come to them. They aren't actually doing anything themselves aside from throwing money around.

Based upon their past history, it's unsettling. I know the other shoe is going to drop. It's just a matter of when.
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Epic doesn't allow reviews? And when they do, the developer has to opt-in? They are REALLY about the developers. Which seems good, except, in this case, it prevents other users from warning people off of a shit product. "Our game is shitty. I think we'll sell more copies if nobody knows that." Because review bombing and other gaming the system is a real problem. Probably only for those that try to game the consumer.

This is relevant. There is a curator on Steam called "FortniteCurator" whose profile is a direct link to Epic Games' website.

All 632 reviews this curator has posted is this:
NOT RECOMMENDED
"Not Fortnite. Why play it then? Don't play any game unless it is Fortnite."

Maybe there is a problem with the review system...
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

Just reported that curator account for fun.

Don't care if they're actually Epic or not, but they're actively recruiting other people to do the same. Fuck people who do that shit.
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

Member of the development team threatens PC gamers if there is a boycott.

Boycott is already under way, and this leans me towards canceling my pre-order on Steam.

Lots of conflicting messages coming out of the various entities of the developer and publisher. Some distancing themselves from this move, others saying "it was their call, but we'll support it", etc. There's also talk that lawsuits will be coming based on false advertising. All the advertising says "Steam" and a month prior they jump ship.

What a clusterfuck.
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

So I had decided to pre-order it on Steam before it was removed. That way I had two more weeks to decide.

Today I asked for a refund and cited the exclusivity deal as my reason why. I just can't reward that shit.

So instead I'm going to use that money to buy Subnautica and its expansion on Steam. People who develop good games and don't try to fuck consumers should be rewarded.
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

The writer of the Metro books has issued a video apology (only clip of it I could find is in the video below discussing it). Everyone is still asking the question: "Where are the apologies from Deep Silver and Koch Media who are behind the move to the Epic Store and the exclusivity?"

This could kill the franchise. Shouldn't the publisher be held responsible? Isn't it their job to market the game and distribute it?

Leisher
Site Admin

Metro Exodus

Post by Leisher »

The exclusivity deal seems to have some cracks.

Metro Exodus is now available on the MS Store (or X-Box store) for PC.