Post by GORDON »

From here.

Being all scientifical and junk.

Edited By GORDON on 1120265779
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Paul

Post by Paul »

Did you get a Marines tattoo?

There are three major catagories of tattoos. One type, like military tattoos and Samoan tribal tattoos, show that you're part of a group. A second type is cosmetic (my aunt had a nipple tattoo'd on after surgerty for breast cancer).

The most popular type are the generic way of showing individuality... just like everybody else. These perminant tattoos are often done on a whim. That kind of person isn't going to assimilate into the standard work environment.

Really, the business world wants stability. They want business partners who look clean cut, dress nicely, and look stable. People who think, "Maybe I shouldn't get that Taz tattoo because my clients might see it, or maybe I'll regret it in 10 years" are going to be the kind of people who do well in business.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

I dress like a slob: shorts, no belt, shirt-tail hanging out, 3-days' growth of stubble. And that's at work.

I make up for it by talking like Gomer Pyle, though.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Did you get a Marines tattoo?
Negative.
69-1098720866

Post by 69-1098720866 »

I had to get a new license a few weeks ago. Lets see, I was wearing my Husker sweatshirt and pants, most likely flip flops, which means if someone wanted to examine my feet they might have seen a couple lines of ink on either side of my strap depending on the sandal. With little to no makeup on. And I have a cell phone, prolly got a call, don't really remember. I may not have looked in the middle to upper class but I ended up with a really decent license picture, so I'm happy.

And hey, it was early in the morning and I was leaving for a 13 hour car drive to Texas, was thinking more of comfort rather than getting dressed up.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I had something to add about the DMV thing. You said:
Disclaimer 2: It occurred to me that I wasn't seeing an objective subset of the population... but it was the DMV. As far as I know everyone needs to go there, eventually.

I'd like to point out that in many states (if not all), you can register your car, boat, and/or get new tags by mailing in a form and your payment or by doing it via the web.

So its likely that a scientific conclusion could be reached that more successful people don't go to the DMV. (More organized people who would do their business via the mail or the web in advance would tend to be more successful.)

That might be why you are seeing a specific subset of the population.

I'm betting we'll see legislation about cell phone usage before too long.

As for the tattoos, I hate 'em. Women should NOT get tattoos and I mean no offense to those who have them. Its just my opinion.

I heard a really good saying about tattoos: "They capture a moment forever." Think about it.

And this is from a guy who has a tattoo. In fact, my tattoo idea was stolen by the writers of Friends.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Was it licked on by kittens?
Vince

Post by Vince »

--Paul wrote:The most popular type are the generic way of showing individuality... just like everybody else. These perminant tattoos are often done on a whim. That kind of person isn't going to assimilate into the standard work environment.

I have two of those, but consciously placed it so it wouldn't show even with a short sleeved shirt.

Edited By TheCatt on 1242846861
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

--Vince wrote:
--Paul wrote:The most popular type are the generic way of showing individuality... just like everybody else. These perminant tattoos are often done on a whim. That kind of person isn't going to assimilate into the standard work environment.

I have two of those, but consciously placed it so it wouldn't show even with a short sleeved shirt.

I didn't even know you had tats until about 12 months after I was introduced to you.

But then we started hanging out naked together, so you know.

Edited By TheCatt on 1242846868
Paul

Post by Paul »

I remember Vince's dragon tattoo. What's the other one?
Vince

Post by Vince »

I remember Vince's dragon tattoo. What's the other one?
2nd smaller dragon emblem on my left deltoid
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Was it licked on by kittens?

I have the other one, and used the same line to describe it years before that episode.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Theresa

Post by Theresa »

You are impossible to email: the server bounces all the emails back to me??
Vince

Post by Vince »

You are impossible to email: the server bounces all the emails back to me??
That's because you're on "the list"
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

--Guest wrote:You are impossible to email: the server bounces all the emails back to me??

I get emails every day... what address you using? gordon2@dtman.com seems to work.

Edited By TheCatt on 1242851612
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Just came from an end-of-year preschool-party-thing.

TONS of single mothers with young children and tattoos (mothers with the tats, not the kids). What's the deal... does the pain of getting a tat temporarily deaden their emotional pain, or something?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ink is cool.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

It's like everyone that age. And I hate it. Tats are ugly.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Thanks for fixing the tables.
Vince

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote:Just came from an end-of-year preschool-party-thing.

TONS of single mothers with young children and tattoos (mothers with the tats, not the kids). What's the deal... does the pain of getting a tat temporarily deaden their emotional pain, or something?
You're not off the mark for some. Many assume cutters cut themselves because they want to feel something. They actually cut themselves to distract them from what they're feeling at the time.

For some, the ink is the same