Gyros

Recipes, restaurants, food you should try, food you should avoid, etc.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by GORDON »

Was in a (richer) Toledo burb. Googled local places to get a gyro. One place came up with "best gyro I ever had!" reviews.

Went there. Tables all super far apart, all staff and customers (when not seated) wearing masks. Fine, whatever.

All their gyro plates/dinners came without the pita. I had to ask for one, and got this really thin... wrap or something... that couldn't even contain all the meats and vegetables without ripping.

Is that a fucking gyro? Or is that a pile of meat and cucumber sauce on a plate?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by TheCatt »

Gyro must have the pita. Otherwise, you just got a greek plate.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by GORDON »

I concur.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by Leisher »

I don't know where you went, but I want to know. I have noticed many Greek restaurants around here have gyro plates and gyro sandwiches. I also recently was disappointed by a restaurant in Northwood that gave me a fatoosh salad instead of the fatoosh I ordered.

Go to The Wing Station at Secor and Sylvania. They have the best gyros, and yes, it is meat, lettuce, onion, tomato, and tzatziki sauce wrapped in a pita that is portable.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: I also recently was disappointed by a restaurant in Northwood that gave me a fatoosh salad instead of the fatoosh I ordered.
I have an inquiry in to remind me of the name of the resturant.

Was the place in northwood the Coney Island?
Leisher
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:
Leisher wrote: I also recently was disappointed by a restaurant in Northwood that gave me a fatoosh salad instead of the fatoosh I ordered.
I have an inquiry in to remind me of the name of the resturant.

Was the place in northwood the Coney Island?
Yes sir. Only thing I've ever gotten there, so I will try it again, but I wanted fatoosh, not a fatoosh themed salad.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by GORDON »

I would think they'd know how to do middle eastern food correctly, there.....

My place was J&Gs in Sylvania. When I got there I realized it was mainly a pizzaria, and those looked to be hand tossed and smelled great. But I was on a gyro mission, and stayed on track. Regret it, now.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by GORDON »

And my garden is growing fatoosh ingredients like crazy this year, so my gfriend has made several.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I would think they'd know how to do middle eastern food correctly, there.....

My place was J&Gs in Sylvania. When I got there I realized it was mainly a pizzaria, and those looked to be hand tossed and smelled great. But I was on a gyro mission, and stayed on track. Regret it, now.
So did you get the "gyro sandwich" or the "gyro platter" cuz they have both. There's also the gyro dinner, which I would have assumed was a gyro sandwich with some sides or something.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by GORDON »

I asked, she said none of their "gyro" dishes come wrapped in a pita. But I could add some sort of wrap I can't remember the name of. And it was thin, and like most things , couldn't contain my meat.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I asked, she said none of their "gyro" dishes come wrapped in a pita. But I could add some sort of wrap I can't remember the name of. And it was thin, and like most things , couldn't contain my meat.
The god damned fuck?
GORDON
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by GORDON »

Exactly right.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by TheCatt »

A gyro or gyros (/ˈdʒaɪroʊ, ˈʒɪər-, ˈjɪər-, ˈɡɪər-/; Greek: γύρος, romanized: yíros/gyros, lit. 'turn', pronounced [ˈʝiros]) is a Greek dish made from meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie. Like shawarma and tacos al pastor, it is derived from the lamb-based doner kebab.[1][2] In Greece it is now most often pork or chicken, whilst beef, chicken, and lamb are common in other countries. It is typically served wrapped or stuffed in a pita, along with ingredients such as tomato, onion, and tzatziki sauce.
Wikipedia

I mean.. that leaves some wiggle room, but I feel like that means "by default"
Leisher
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: My place was J&Gs in Sylvania.
I lived in Sylvania. I went to high school there. My parents still live there. I have never, ever heard of someone getting a gyro at J&G. Hell, I didn't know they had anything but pizza. They are 100% wrong for a pita-less gyro, but you probably should accept some fault for ordering Greek in a pizzeria.

FYI: Sodbusters is right near there and they have good burgers and chicken chunks.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by GORDON »

I walked in and immediately you see two giant meat tornadoes spinning over the grill. I thought it was an excellent portent. And the very positive googled reviews.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by Leisher »

I don't dismiss your logic and research, but I'm never going to order a burger at KFC.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gyros

Post by GORDON »

Only one thing to order in a KFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgo7Bos-uIM