Popeye's

Recipes, restaurants, food you should try, food you should avoid, etc.
GORDON
Site Admin

Popeye's chicken in Toledo needs to give up

Post by GORDON »

Popeye's is having their biggest viral fame ever, and one of the two Toledo stores is temporarily closed for a cockroach infestation.

I stand by this thread title.

https://www.toledoblade.com/business/re ... 0190826124
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

You can take the Popeye's out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the Popeye's.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Hahahaha. I did check, and all the Popeyes in our area are on the other side of town. Guess I'm sticking to Bojangles
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: You can take the Popeye's out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the Popeye's.
That was part of what mnade it amusing... this is the one in the better part of town.

We stopped going to the ghetto one. Consistently waiting 40 minutes in the drive through isn't fun. "We slow, we only 2 people"
Leisher
Site Admin

Popeye's

Post by Leisher »

My letter to their corporate office based on my most recent experiment:
First the good: The spicy chicken sandwich, spicy tenders, and the red beans and rice were delicious. So delicious that I would go to Popeye's far, far more often than I do if not for the bad...

Speaking of the bad: It starts immediately while ordering. The board has a sign over the chicken sandwiches saying they're out of stock. However, the first thing the lady says over the intercom is do I want to try one. A bit confusing. So I place my order and then spent the next 10-15 minutes in line playing games on my phone. Apparently the 3 cars ahead of me had massive orders (they didn't). When it was finally my turn Popeye's went out of their way to make me feel like a criminal with their turning, armored window. This is a nice neighborhood, why is this necessary? There's a McDonald's and a Chick-Fil-A within 100 yards each direction and neither have anything like that. Additionally, both are clean and well maintained while the Popeye's had debris all over and a parking lot full of pot holes. Anyway, I pay and the lady finally gives me my food. However, I realize she never gave me my sweet tea. Funny because I didn't even want it, but she said they didn't have unsweetened tea. Not sure if you realize, but up here in the North we typically drink it unsweetened. So I had to sit there and wait until I could finally get her attention through the darkened armored window that's impossible to see through. Thankfully, the speaker that goes with it had a low volume and you could barely understand anything with all the street noise. (I love sarcasm.) I got my sweet tea, which had zero ice and was room temperature. It also was not very good. I gave it to one of my kids who loves sweet tea and even she didn't finish it. Anyway, I went to leave, but the parking lot was blocked by traffic for the drive-thru. So I had to wait another 5 minutes for the drive-thru line to move enough so I could get out. Check this site on Google maps or something. It's a horrifically designed parking lot. It gets worse when the drive-thru line isn't moving because of slow service. I was finally freed from my Popeye's prison, got home, and then noticed they had also forgotten to put my blackened ranch in the bag.

So great food, but horrible experience.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Popeye's

Post by GORDON »

WHich location?
Leisher
Site Admin

Popeye's

Post by Leisher »

Secor.
GORDON
Site Admin

Popeye's

Post by GORDON »

Ahhh, the one shut down by the health department for cockroaches during the viral chicken sandwich marketing.
Leisher
Site Admin

Popeye's

Post by Leisher »

Yep. Total shit hole with ridiculously tasty food. It would look perfectly normal sitting in a war torn country, and insanely out of place where it currently sits.
Cakedaddy

Popeye's

Post by Cakedaddy »

You consider Secor and Central a nice neighborhood? Do you let your kids walk around in your current neighborhood after dark? Would you there?
GORDON
Site Admin

Popeye's

Post by GORDON »

That particular stretch of road is all nice and new and shiny, but I can't vouch for a block in either direction.

It really is too bad Popeye's can run an even half-decent store in toledo. We'd go there a lot more (stopped trying over a year ago).
Leisher
Site Admin

Popeye's

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: You consider Secor and Central a nice neighborhood? Do you let your kids walk around in your current neighborhood after dark? Would you there?
Yeah, it's crazy different than you probably remember. Massively built up now. Head North and it's just businesses and middle class residential. Head South and you're in Ottawa Hills. Head West and you're in Sylvania Township/Ottawa Hills. Head East and you're hitting that old residential area where all the professors and whatnot live.

The traffic there is the biggest issue. It's crazy busy. Possibly the busiest area of Toledo away from Franklin Park.
Leisher
Site Admin

Popeye's

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Popeye's

Post by TheCatt »

The chart tells me not to.

As they say, buy the rumor (last summer's hype), sell the truth (this quarter's results).
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Popeye's

Post by Leisher »

Clearly that chart is racist.