Homemade "Asian" food.

Recipes, restaurants, food you should try, food you should avoid, etc.
GORDON
Site Admin

Homemade "Asian" food.

Post by GORDON »

I'm learning slowly, this stuff is hard if you're trying to figure it out on your own.

One thing I've learned is that if you're making a chicken dish, don't use white/breast meat. Get boneless, skinless thighs. Much better taste.

The kid and I have been working our way through "simmer sauces" from Walmart and Kroger. You brown the chicken and then simmer in the sauce for 10 minutes, be it sweet chili, butter chicken, general tso's, whatever. You add whatever vegetable you're in the mood for, I've done onions, bell peppers, and broccoli. They're all good, and then serve with rice.

Sweet chili is my kid's fave, so far. I still add a little hot pepper flakes, because we like spicy.

But use the dark meat. It's better for these dishes.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Homemade "Asian" food.

Post by TheCatt »

Cultural appropriator.
GORDON wrote: Get boneless, skinless thighs. Much better taste.
This is a lesson that took me too long in life. I blame all those people saying how healthy white meat is.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Homemade "Asian" food.

Post by GORDON »

I can't be a cultural appropriator, I used to have sex with a Chinese girl.

Who was raised in Cuba so she taught me how good Cuban food was.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Homemade "Asian" food.

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I can't be a cultural appropriator, I used to have sex with a Chinese girl.

Now you're a rapist, too. Minorities cannot give consent to white oppressors.
Leisher
Site Admin

Homemade "Asian" food.

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: I can't be a cultural appropriator, I used to have sex with a Chinese girl.

Now your a rapist, too. Minorities cannot give consent to white oppressors.
My first laugh of the day.

One thing that disappointed me about my home was the stove that was already here is electric. My last home had gas and I used my wok. I loved Chinese cooking in that thing. I'd legit be flipping the food high into the air and cooking multiple things at the same time inside it. I was just starting to learn how to make egg drop soup in it when we moved. I already was making General Tso and chicken fried rice.

Kroger has a really good peanut sauce that you and your kid should try.

I have used that in chicken dishes, with chicken nuggets, and on salads. I love it. It won't blow your mouth off, but it's that nice level of spice that opens your taste buds without hurting you.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Homemade "Asian" food.

Post by Cakedaddy »

You know how you say "Get thighs instead of breasts". I say the same about house brands. If you are using kroger/walmart branded stuff, you are wrong. Sure, you save a few cents. But you taste it. Except Kroger ice cream. That stuff is good. Their Private Selection stuff that is.
GORDON
Site Admin

Homemade "Asian" food.

Post by GORDON »

Costco's "Kirkland" brand is typically high quality. My house is full of Kirkland shit.

Otherwise, I agree with you. Especially Walmart... you know they're squeezing whoever is manufacturing their "Great Value" products for every penny, which is going to equate to low quality stuff.
GORDON
Site Admin

Homemade "Asian" food.

Post by GORDON »

But I'll try the Kroger ice cream. My kid likes Haagan Daz, and I'd enjoy a cheaper alternative that will still please his refined ice cream palate.
GORDON
Site Admin

Homemade "Asian" food.

Post by GORDON »

All that shit in the original post about using simmer sauces? Fuck that shit.

I've leaned in recently to cooking this stuff from scratch. The interwebs is full of recipes for every asian dish imaginable.

The other day I made, from scratch, a General Tso's that was literally better than any I've ever eaten in my life. I made it again a week later for my GF, and she said it was the best chinese dish she'd ever eaten, anywhere.

1. I can't believe how much sugar goes into almost every chinese dish. Sometimes including entire cans of Coke.
2. I can't believe how similar all of these recipes are, usually out of 10 ingredients, two being different, for most dishes.

Anyway, those simmer sauces are pigshit compared to doing it from scratch, correctly.

Here's the General's recipe I've been using. The chef is pretty funny, too. Can google the text recipe if interested.

TheCatt
Site Admin

Homemade "Asian" food.

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:15 pm I can't believe how much sugar goes into almost every chinese dish. Sometimes including entire cans of Coke.
Well, Americanized Chinese dishes.
GORDON
Site Admin

Homemade "Asian" food.

Post by GORDON »

ur an americanized chinese dish
TheCatt
Site Admin

Homemade "Asian" food.

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:42 pm ur an americanized chinese dish
If so, I'm more of a Sesame Chicken.
Leisher
Site Admin

Homemade "Asian" food.

Post by Leisher »

I used to make a really good General Tso in a wok, but then we moved to a house with an electric stove. :cry:
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”