Jimmy John's

Recipes, restaurants, food you should try, food you should avoid, etc.
Leisher
Site Admin

Jimmy John's

Post by Leisher »

They recently opened one 3 minutes from my office. I was excited to another lunch option and while looking up their menu I discovered that their founder is a "Big 5" hunter...

I don't know why really, but this bugs me enough that I have yet to visit the location, drive farther for shitty Subway or awesome Big Apple Deli, and have no plans to ever go there.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Jimmy John's

Post by GORDON »

What is a big 5 hunter
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

African Elephant
Black Rhino
Cape Buffalo
Lions
African Leopard

That's the "Big 5".

He's also been known to engage in the same type of hunts as that dentist. You know, paying a lot of money to kill an endangered species.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ah. I thought it was illegal to hunt endangered species, and America would still arrest you for doing illegal things in other countries.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I didn't think that dentist faced any charges?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I didn't think lions were endangered... But I am pleading ignorance. Don't know.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I don't think you have to be endangered to be on the "Big 5" list.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:I didn't think lions were endangered... But I am pleading ignorance. Don't know.
They aren't. They're listed as "vulnerable." The ones that are collared in sanctuaries are understood to be off limits ... unless you bribe the proper officials.
African Elephant
Black Rhino
Cape Buffalo
Lions
African Leopard
Elephants are still getting decimated due to ivory trade, but aren't technically endangered because places that enforce that shit seriously are seeing a population recovery. They are disturbingly intelligent, certainly on a different level than any other critter on the list.

Cape buffalo are plentiful because no one except man fucks with healthy adults.

Black rhinos are critically endangered, which is one step above "dead everywhere except zoos."

Lions have been covered.

Leopards are doing a bit better than lions.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:I don't think you have to be endangered to be on the "Big 5" list.
Well.... If it isn't endangered, why would you care? I don't hunt because I don't enjoy killing, but I recognize that when hunters follow the rules and purchase their permits they are doing more for the natural environment than any 10 hippies who only talk about it.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:
Leisher wrote:I don't think you have to be endangered to be on the "Big 5" list.
Well.... If it isn't endangered, why would you care? I don't hunt because I don't enjoy killing, but I recognize that when hunters follow the rules and purchase their permits they are doing more for the natural environment than any 10 hippies who only talk about it.
Because the joints where you can hunt these are places rife with corruption. They don't always follow the rules.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I get hunting. I've hunted. I've hunted for food and sport. I don't anymore simply because I don't see the point in killing something I don't need to kill.

That being said, I don't understand hunting something to extinction, particularly for sport. Although, hunting something to extinction for food is equally or possibly even dumber?

Anyway, I just choose not to support Jimmy John's because I don't want to fund some small dicked asshole a hunting trip to kill an endangered or vulnerable species. If he was simply hunting deer, which are crazy overpopulated, I'd have no issue with it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Gotcha.

I've never been to Jimmy John's.
Leisher
Site Admin

Jimmy John's

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Jimmy John's

Post by Leisher »

This is welcome news as I'm really, really bored with the local restaurants near my office. Plus, my boycott of Subway has only gotten more justified every year. (No fish in the tuna fish, the chicken not being 100% chicken, wood in the bread, and so on.) There's no Jersey Mikes or Firehouse subs nearby so the only sub option I have is Big Apple Deli, which is awesome, but JJ is much closer and offers subs Big Apple doesn't have.
In related news, JJ himself has come out and said he quit big game hunting, so that's cool too.
GORDON
Site Admin

Jimmy John's

Post by GORDON »

I've read that regulated big game hunting in Africa does a shitload of good for the local communities, and their environmental efforts.
Leisher
Site Admin

Jimmy John's

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:29 pm I've read that regulated big game hunting in Africa does a shitload of good for the local communities, and their environmental efforts.
I have read the same, and it's always what is pointed to whenever big game hunting is questioned. However, as I'm sure you're very aware, it's not always so black and white. Whether the animal in question was "protected", permission was never given to hunt it (like the dentist/lion thing), the money not going to conservation but rather payoffs, and so on.

Point being, the "all the money goes to conservation" card has the same credibility as the race card these days.