The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by GORDON »

At the end of the last school year my kid was still remote, and I had him do his last two remote-days from a resort on Key Largo. I made sure he oriented his camera so that the marina and palm trees were visible behind him. It was pretty sweet.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:41 am You mean for the younger kiddies?
Past 3rd grade, maybe middle school, somewhere in there.

Why are middle school + high school worse than having a job? Our oldest has to wake up at 5:55am, gets home around 3pm. For my job, I just wake up when I wake up. I'm done when I'm done.
Leisher wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:41 am For my kid, she'll still be attending high school classes in person, then college classes remotely at night. She also works at a nearby mall, is doing community service work for her college resume, and is doing plays both locally and in Cleveland.
That's a busy life.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:34 am That's a busy life.
Yeah, I was thinking about it this morning and I'm pretty proud of her. She has a lot more motivation than I give her credit for because being a parent, we tend to see a lot of the negatives daily. Kid works hard.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Dave (TV Show)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Dave (TV Show)

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:24 pm We should go back to college.
Why is this here?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:59 pm
TheCatt wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:24 pm We should go back to college.
Why is this here?
Cuz, college? :P
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I should put you in "Today's Moron Champ". :D

As for your article:
1. I keep getting told how oppressed women are, but the evidence keeps pointing to that being complete horseshit.
2. Colleges are failing at their primary purpose.
3. How long until this story gets flipped and men are said to have been given an advantage by NOT going to college and being saddled with crippling debt in exchange for no actual job skills or knowledge.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:14 pm 1. I keep getting told how oppressed women are, but the evidence keeps pointing to that being complete horseshit.
60% of graduates, but still make less than men!
Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:14 pm Colleges are failing at their primary purpose.
Remember where college started though, it was people who didn't need to work, it was knowledge for knowledge's sake. The idea of it being prep for work is relatively recent, imho, aside from doctors/lawyers. Maybe as part of our Cold War, I dunno, I'm not a great historian. I'm sure Thib would know better.
Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:14 pm How long until this story gets flipped and men are said to have been given an advantage by NOT going to college and being saddled with crippling debt in exchange for no actual job skills or knowledge.
Hah!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:21 pm still make less than men
Hasn't that been proven to be a fallacy?
TheCatt wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:21 pm Remember where college started though, it was people who didn't need to work, it was knowledge for knowledge's sake. The idea of it being prep for work is relatively recent, imho, aside from doctors/lawyers. Maybe as part of our Cold War, I dunno, I'm not a great historian. I'm sure Thib would know better.
Fair, but those days are over. College is nothing more than a business now. They couldn't care less about what kind of education they're giving as long as they get paid. (I'd also hear the argument that many care more about who you vote for versus your ability to do a job.)
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:36 pm Hasn't that been proven to be a fallacy?
Not that I am aware of. The most recent data I'm aware of shows there is a gender discrepancy, but it's more like $0.05 on the dollar, versus the publicized $0.20/dollar once you control for leaving the workforce, hours worked, profession, etc.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:36 pm They couldn't care less about what kind of education they're giving as long as they get paid.
I'd argue they care, but that they care about getting a humanities or even deep technical education over something specifically tailored to a job. "Educate the whole person"
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Our government should only communicate in memes.

Oh wait, Trump kinda beat me to that.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"Yeah but we didn't know you guys were SERIOUS about paying them back."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

MBA degrees tend to pay for themselves and more.

The most interesting part of this is that if you go down a bit you can see the debt/income ratio for undergrad + grad degrees, and from specific colleges.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Government suspends merchant marine program after rape.

Sending young college girls hundreds or thousands of miles away from home to be on a boat way out at sea with men in a profession notorious for hiring guys with criminal histories and other negative pasts? What could go wrong?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »