The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I doubt it. He's got tenure.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: He's got tenure.
If I was in charge of the country that's one of the first things I would eliminate.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: He's got tenure.
If I was in charge of the country that's one of the first things I would eliminate.
But then how could they research without fear? Or whatever.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Fear can be a very powerful motivator.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

We really need the eye rolling emoji. Not because I disagree with the kids necessarily, but because going to a place to protest that you don't want to go to seems counterproductive.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

NCSU reporting either 1 or 2 clusters (>5 people) today. Notre Dame going virtual for "at least 2 weeks"
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Dates are approximate:

July 15, it was decided my kid's private school would be a hybrid model. Half capacity most days, and capacity is already low, like 30 kids per grade.

Aug 4 - Nope, 100% virtual until the county drops down 1 "color" on the COVID emergency scale.

Aug 6 - Parents went ballistic, no point paying 24k for ELC (daycare) and not getting it... what, a 4 year old is going to sit in front of a screen all day for virtual learning? So now we're back to hybrid immediately for lower schools, and the Upper School (high schoolers) are going hybrid Sept 15.

That being said, 100% mask usage and mechanical separation in classrooms was already decided, new desks built, janitors constantly sanitizing, etc. I think this particular school won't have any COVID clusters.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It seems out schools actually did something right with their hybrid/opt-in or out plan.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Is it because the test scores are biased toward people who study, and being able to study is racial privilege?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Essentially, it seems like the judge ruled that privileged (white) students without disabilities would get a "second look" because of ACT/SAT scores, but other applicants wouldn't because they couldn't take the tests.
"The current COVID 19 pandemic has resulted in restrictions in the availability of test sites," Seligman said in his ruling. "While test-taking opportunities for all students have been limited, for persons with disabilities, the ability to obtain accommodations or even to locate suitable test locations for the test are 'almost nil'."
So CA, the most progressive state in the U.S., can't get a handicapped person a place to take a test? And even though C-19 will eventually end, we're still throwing out the tests forever?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Really cannot tell what's satire any more.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

All drumlines, all the time.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

In September 2019, the band was officially banned from Columbia athletic events and its funding revoked[1], with many pointing to the administration's distaste for the band following the Orgo Night controversy.
Orgo Night
In one of the school's longest-lasting traditions, begun in 1975,[4] at midnight before the Organic Chemistry exam—often the first day of final exams—the Columbia University Marching Band invaded and briefly occupied the main undergraduate reading room in Butler Library to distract and entertain studying students with some forty-five minutes of raucous jokes and music, beginning and ending with the singing of the school's fight song, "Roar, Lion, Roar". After the main show before a crowd that routinely began filling the room well before the announced midnight start time, the Band led a procession to several campus locations, including the residential quadrangle of Barnard College for more music and temporary relief from the stress of last-minute studying.

In December 2016, following several years of sporadic complaints by students who said that some Orgo Night scripts and advertising posters left them "triggered" and "traumatized" and called for the show to be canceled,[5] as well as a New York Times article on the Band's treatment of sexual assault on campus,[6] University administrators banned the Marching Band from performing its Orgo Night show in the traditional Butler Library location. Protests and accusations of censorship[7] followed, but University President Lee Bollinger maintained that complaints and publicity about the shows had "nothing to do with" the prohibition.[8] In subfreezing weather, the Band instead performed—at midnight, as usual—outside the main entrance of Butler Library.

The Band's official alumni organization, the Columbia University Band Alumni Association, registered protests with the administration,[9] and an ad hoc group of alumni writing under the name "A. Hamiltonius" published a series of pamphlets exhaustively addressing the issue,[10] but at the end of the spring 2017 semester the University administration held firm,[11] prompting the Marching Band to again stage its show outside the building. For Orgo Night December 2017, Band members quietly infiltrated the Library with their musical instruments during the evening and popped up at midnight to perform the show inside despite the ban.[12] Prior to the spring 2018 exam period, the administration warned the group's leaders against a repeat and restated the injunction, warning of sanctions; the Band again staged its Orgo Night show in front of the library. [13]
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Super obnoxious.

Also, if you're still studying in the library the night before the exam, well...............
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Also, if you're still studying in the library the night before the exam, well...............
That was normal where I went to college. You have so many exams back to back you need to be somewhere quiet. And removed from form distractions.

At UNC, a group of friends of mine had a tradition of streaking the undergrad library around midnight the first night of exam week. It was a fun break, but quick.