The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by Leisher »

Standford being sued for wrongful death in suicide.

I'm highly skeptical of this young woman being very mentally and emotionally stable and then committing suicide thanks to a single threatening letter from the school. I'm also highly skeptical she "accidentally" spilled coffee on the accused kid.

That being said, the bigger issue and why I'm posting this, is the very real problem of universities covering up crimes, particularly rape. Some will say it's related to sports as they're big money, but this is a problem on campuses everywhere. The universities are covering up crime completely because they want their crime statistics to portray a very safe campus to prospective students and their parents.

I understand campuses being like small cities and funding their own police forces, but there needs to be a level of accountability so that these cover ups can't happen. The same folks that profit (financially or otherwise) from a safe campus should not be involved in any part of the law enforcement entity on a campus. There should also be severe criminal charges if any cover ups, witness intimidation, etc. are found.

Now in this specific case, of which I don't know the details, I'm sure it could be argued that the school was simply trying to prevent bullying and vigilantism, which is absolutely the right thing to do. This is especially true here because the person has not yet faced a fair trial or possibly even a full investigation. "Innocent until proven guilty" exists for a reason. (Although, if he is guilty, fuck him. I hope he gets raped in prison.)

This story sucks. Nobody is getting a happy ending.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Universities are neither equipped nor prepared to handled real crimes, and should not. And definitely shouldn't be a place where crimes can be hidden.

The notion that she could go from happy to suicidal in a matter of hours just from a disciplinary notice, though. Unlikely.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

From what I've gleaned from a few campus visits, these schools have their own police force, with guns, and an arrangement with the police out in town that they will absolutely not interfere with campus crimes.

Smells a shitload like collusion in order to keep that college property tax coming to the local county. And if the campus gets to advertise better crime stats, well that's just a happy coincidence.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Today in...says here "castes"...

This simply cannot be true! White people aren't involved to be the bad guys!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:39 pm Today in...says here "castes"...

This simply cannot be true! White people aren't involved to be the bad guys!
According to one long-held theory about the origins of South Asia's caste system, Aryans from central Asia invaded South Asia and introduced the caste system as a means of controlling the local populations.
Although, I think Aryan means "Iranian" or similar in that context, and not the white master race.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:44 pm Although, I think Aryan means "Iranian" or similar in that context, and not the white master race.
Correct. That's what makes this so confusing! How did something evil happen without any white people being there? We all know only whitey does evil shit!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My kid got his first acceptance letter, which is exciting. Miami University, one of the "Top 10 Public Ivys." A president went there.

No not that Miami, the one in Oxford.

No, not that Oxford, the one near Lebanon.

No, not that Lebanon, the one in Ohio.

Not sure if he wants to pay for it yet, but we got the letter. He's shopping for "inexpensive," and the only school he can commute to is the University of Toledo. I keep telling him a good college like Miami is an investment............ but he says "why do you hate money?"
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher and I watch sports, and Leisher is a Steelers fan, so he knows Miami of Ohio, cuz that's where Big Ben came from, and they were briefly relevant in the football world.

Congrats! Any scholarship $$ to go with it?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:11 pm Congrats! Any scholarship $$ to go with it?
Dunno yet. Some certainly, hopefully enough.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:15 pm
TheCatt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:11 pm Congrats! Any scholarship $$ to go with it?
Dunno yet. Some certainly, hopefully enough.
Did he apply for Ohio State?

What his planned major? Comp Sci interns, we were paying $20-25/hour 5-6 years ago for summers. Could pay for tuition each summer.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Some sort of biology engineering, I don't remember specifically. He kept asking everyone "What can I do in biology that has the biggest paycheck?" I told him that with a BS he could be a high school science teacher, with a Master's he can be an underpaid lab tech, and if he wants money in biology he needs an MD. So......... yeah. There are wildcards in the field here and there, but he'd need to get lucky and/or know someone.

Did not apply to OSU.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

If he wants $$, Comp Sci. If he wants $$, but to stay biology: Evil Scientist.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Have you ever met anyone in IT who was happy and fulfilled with their job?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:42 pm Have you ever met anyone in IT who was happy and fulfilled with their job?
IT sucks.

Software dev is where it's at. And, yes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:41 am Not sure if he wants to pay for it yet, but we got the letter. He's shopping for "inexpensive," and the only school he can commute to is the University of Toledo. I keep telling him a good college like Miami is an investment............ but he says "why do you hate money?"
Seriously though, he's not wrong. How many employers look at the school's name on your degree? They don't care. The only thing that really matters is what kind of connections can one make at a school to find work outside of it.
TheCatt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:11 pm Leisher and I watch sports, and Leisher is a Steelers fan, so he knows Miami of Ohio, cuz that's where Big Ben came from, and they were briefly relevant in the football world.
Correct.

Also, if your son happens to get laid on a random Alumni weekend (where Alumni return to the school to drink and party, but claim it's some high class event) there's an outside chance we'll become Eskimo brothers.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:16 pm How many employers look at the school's name on your degree?
Definitely the first ones. A good name ABSOLUTELY opens doors. My first job was Andersen Consulting/Accenture. They recruited (in NC) on campus at: UNC, Duke, Davidson, Wake Forest, and NCSU. All are top 75 schools in the US. The other 50 colleges + Universities in NC? Ignored.
Leisher wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:16 pm The only thing that really matters is what kind of connections can one make at a school to find work outside of it.
This helps, but is far from the only thing.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah but Public Ivy!

I also told him networking is a thing. The better the quality of your contacts/peers, generally the better off they'll be when you use them.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:26 pm Yeah but Public Ivy!

I also told him networking is a thing. The better the quality of your contacts/peers, generally the better off they'll be when you use them.
I feel like 30 is way too many. Let's just stick to: UCLA, Ga Tech, UVA, UNC, Michigan, UT-Ausin, and Penn State.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:23 pm Definitely the first ones. A good name ABSOLUTELY opens doors. My first job was Andersen Consulting/Accenture. They recruited (in NC) on campus at: UNC, Duke, Davidson, Wake Forest, and NCSU. All are top 75 schools in the US. The other 50 colleges + Universities in NC? Ignored.
This is blatant discrimination. I'm shocked nobody has figured it out and sued already. Also, where one went to school proves absolutely dick about their skills or intelligence. Moreso now.

I always just hire the best looking chick.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:03 pm I'm shocked nobody has figured it out and sued already. Also, where one went to school proves absolutely dick about their skills or intelligence. Moreso now.
I mean... it means something. At the least it means daddy had connections. Sometimes it means daddy had connections AND money.