The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Vince

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: That's part of why people think this is politically motivated.
Oh, I'm positive it was politically motivated. I'm just for making them state that this is their standard and making them live up to it now.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

Not wrong at all. Colleges have nothing at stake. Guaranteed loans are garbage.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've been saying that for at least 15 years. Way to copy me, JPM.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Another college admissions scandal.

This one is legal, but clearly will be getting addressed and the loopholes closed.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Another college admissions scandal.

This one is legal, but clearly will be getting addressed and the loopholes closed.
This is some bullshit.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Study reveals large issue with student debt.

When people have to forgo actual needs for their family to pay for student loans, something is very, very wrong.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Study reveals large issue with student debt.

When people have to forgo actual needs for their family to pay for student loans, something is very, very wrong.
Student debt is a time bomb, and also a ridiculous albatross over the lives of many. Yes, these people shoulder some blame for their choices, but the government's guarantee of some debt, the fact that it cannot be charged off in bankruptcy, the sheer volume of debt (and cost of college), plus the "you must go to college to get ahead" mentality has created a terrible burden on generations after ours.

The good news is that it's only 10% of total consumer debt. The bad news is no one is doing anything to help.

In addition to student loan debt issues, auto debt has many issues. The large number of people with underwater loans is disturbing. People with 6 to 8 year loans FOR A CAR, plus rolling in negative equity from prior cars. Buy a damned 2-3 year old Toyota and drive it 15 years, people.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Nobody knows how to shop within their means anymore. Everyone has to have the latest thing right now. People are dumb and the whole system is a ticking time bomb. Prices haven't matched actual income in forever. Just a matter of when shit starts crashing. Of course, if companies continue to let debt build forever as long as they're getting some payments, maybe it'll never crash?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Of course, if companies continue to let debt build forever as long as they're getting some payments, maybe it'll never crash?
Well, you get into a problem (like we have today), where the economy is basically tied to low interest rates. If we had an interest rate shock, there'd be a financial crisis of some magnitude pretty quickly.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

My wife: the world is really ganging up on white boys these days. Seems easier to be a white woman. You kinda get to be a minority, yet get the benefits of being white, too.
Vince

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: My wife: the world is really ganging up on white boys these days. Seems easier to be a white woman. You kinda get to be a minority, yet get the benefits of being white, too.
I've never understood the "women are a minority" thing when they make up the majority of the population.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
TheCatt wrote: My wife: the world is really ganging up on white boys these days. Seems easier to be a white woman. You kinda get to be a minority, yet get the benefits of being white, too.
I've never understood the "women are a minority" thing when they make up the majority of the population.
BECAUSE THEY ARE OPPRESSED BY THE PATRIARCHY
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This is awesome.
TheCatt wrote: BECAUSE THEY ARE OPPRESSED BY THE PATRIARCHY
It'd be fun to write a "privilege list" for each sex and race, but nobody would dare publish it because it would destroy a lot of the narratives we're always told.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Loughlin is sweating the Huffman punishment.

Duh? Huffman took the deal and got 14 days. You refused the deal after the feds already said they were going to nail the folks who didn't take it. You're elitist and entitled. You thought you were above the law and you STILL don't think you did anything wrong. You're fucked.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I went to college in the mid 1990s, and had a $2k / yr scholarship that covered tuition only. It was actually more than my tuition cost a nationally ranked public university.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

A bottomless well of student loans and no price controls on the universities have turned our local schools into a kegger of increased tuition costs and new buildings to spend all that sweet money.

My fave is the new stadium at BGSU for intramural sports. I think I have the right word... sports for BGSU student teams to compete against each other. An indoor stadium.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: My fave is the new stadium at BGSU for intramural sports. I think I have the right word... sports for BGSU student teams to compete against each other. An indoor stadium.
Holy fuck. We had intramural fields, but they were outdoor. Now that I think about it, they all got upgraded to astroturf shortly after I left.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"One of the things we looked at was money involved. She spent about $15,000 to have her daughter get a fake SAT score," he explained. "She took responsibility almost immediately. She was contrite, did not try to minimize her conduct. I think she handled it in a very classy way and so, at the end of the day, we thought the one-month was proportional."
I'm not sure if I'd use the word "classy," but I would applaud her for owning her bullshit.