The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:04 pm
Leisher wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:03 pm I'm shocked nobody has figured it out and sued already. Also, where one went to school proves absolutely dick about their skills or intelligence. Moreso now.
I mean... it means something. At the least it means daddy had connections. Sometimes it means daddy had connections AND money.
You are correct that it means the things you just said, however my statement also remains true.

So long story short, hire the hot chick instead.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:04 pm So long story short, hire the hot chick instead.
I don't think that's ever been an option in my career.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:54 pm
Leisher wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:04 pm So long story short, hire the hot chick instead.
I don't think that's ever been an option in my career.
Interesting how women want "equality" in the work place, yet the IT field has hoards of open high paying jobs and very few women trying to get them. And I mean REAL IT jobs. Being in communications or sales at Twitter, Facebook, IBM, etc. does not make you a tech.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:48 pm Interesting how women want "equality" in the work place, yet the IT field has hoards of open high paying jobs and very few women trying to get them. And I mean REAL IT jobs.
Because they don't like it. I've seen a fair number of studies that basically say: When women are free/have equality, they don't choose IT/engineering. When they are oppressive regimes, they do, to get some measure of control + power in society.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

1 in 5 college assessments used bots.

I assume this is Aussie for essay or paper?

Color me shocked that peeps are cheating. Technology has made it easier than ever, new generations are growing up needing to actually work less and less, entitlement is off the charts, and so on. Not doing the old man screaming at clouds thing because there are obviously going to be exceptions, but life generally gets easier for every new generation.

Anyway, college is going to be even more useless and a waste of time when everyone's personal AI is doing all of their papers.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My kid's going to college. I hope he has the patience to smile and nod until he's through it.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My kid has a gpa of 3.5, an act of 36, is a white male, and put "questioning gender" in his common college application. He was accepted everywhere he applied.

Leaning Miami, which pleases me.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Oh, I should add he is a gifted writer. That was a surprise to me. His essays for college and scholarships were exceptional.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:37 pm My kid has a gpa of 3.5, an act of 36, is a white male, and put "questioning gender" in his common college application. He was accepted everywhere he applied.
I love that he put that. Don't care if he is or isn't, or anyone for that matter, take advantage of the situation and select that option. It might as well say, "Would you like to be passed over as just another normal candidate or do you want preferred admission?"
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The official line is that no one is male or female, we're on a spectrum, so wouldn't that make it entirely accurate that every single one of us is contemplating it?

I feel our integrity is intact, in the current ruleset
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Hey, I've told all my kids to put down that they're Latino. Everyone assumes it anyway.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My girlfriend is annoyingly, overly honest about everything. And her kid has gotten screwed for college money because of it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:11 pm Hey, I've told all my kids to put down that they're Latino. Everyone assumes it anyway.
Hey! Stop stealing from my kids!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:50 pm
Leisher wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:11 pm Hey, I've told all my kids to put down that they're Latino. Everyone assumes it anyway.
Hey! Stop stealing from my kids!
Ha! To be fair, the first one is going for free because of her talent, so no Latin vibes needed. In fact, some extra money she's getting is for being Italian.
Leisher wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:05 am
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Dude that article is 6 years old. She's at Harvard Law now.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm very happy for her. Genuinely.

However, it does not negate the point it makes about the video 10 posts above it (and quoted 2 posts above it to save you thumb some scrolling).
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:05 pm However, it does not negate the point it makes about the video 10 posts above it (and quoted 2 posts above it to save you thumb some scrolling).
Admissions are pretty jacked up since the pandemic. So it's apples + oranges.