The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by TheCatt »

Stranger wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:42 pm Well, i know alot of people are against forgiving student loans, I for one am one of those people. But i just had $32,000+ dollars erased yesterday and i'm A-OK with it today..
Glad the loans were canceled. Hope the ITT Tech people are/were strung up :)
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm not in favor of giving handouts to students attending accredited schools and getting degrees in Woke Politics or some other such nonsense. I never will be either. Fuck those idiots.

However, you got robbed. You were told lies and later found out it was a scam. You deserve to be compensated for that. My only thought in the ITT case is that the government should squeeze every last cent out of whomever was behind it to help pay that compensation.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I still argue the government has always paid for school. It's called the military. I think the government should be going after the students, not just ITT and other corrupt schools. Stranger can argue that he was lied to etc. But so was I, and I was at a normal college. I went to school, full time, for 4.5 years and am still 2 years from a degree. Because my 'counselor' lied to me about pretty much everything and when I declared my major from undecided to engineering, 10% of my classes counted. My counselor was a WAY better salesman than he was a counselor. I told him I wanted to repair computers. Instead of telling me to go to their community/tech school. He said I'd need electrical engineering. I blindly followed the path he laid out because he was supposed to know more than me. He took advantage of me. But luckily, when all was said and done, I only had to pay back $4k in student loans, which honestly, only about 20% actually went to the school. The rest was spent foolishly by a 22 year old kid. I joined the military out of high school because there was no way I was going to take on the cost of going to school.

10 weeks of boot camp, followed by 8 weeks of tech training, then a total of 246 days over 6 years, my entire college bill was paid. They don't even ask that much from you.

I think anyone getting their loans paid for them right now owe the public something too. I would say, 372 days of community service over a 6 year period would cover it. I'm even willing to let them off easy by making them 8 hour days.

By the way, I'm not mad at you for taking the money. I would have to. I'm mad that it was decided to be given out at all, with no strings attached.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

We'll disagree here because I think you're comparing apples and cars (Little Dicky is right, you can totally compare apples and oranges.). Your situations are similar, but vastly different. Although, I do not fully disagree with you.

He got duped by an entity claiming to be accredited and legit. They were not.

You got duped at an accredited university, and more specifically, by either an evil or incompetent employee of said university. Now as you know, I think college is mostly a complete scam and a chain around the necks of kids in this nation. Sure, some careers need it, but most do not. Sure, continuing education is nice, but put that on corporations not on innocent kids with lifelong debt.

I put need in italics above because need and require are two completely different things.

Colleges should be regulated more to prevent them from lying to students, forcing them to take loads of classes they don't need, and so on and so forth. However, that's all still different from Stranger's situation.

And yes, if anyone in the government had any integrity and wasn't worried about votes and their own pocketbooks they would say, "The government already pays you to go to college. The Air Force IS an accredited college and all branches earn you free money for school and teaches you valuable and marketable skills. So ask not what your country can do for you, you free loading cunts, but what you can do for your country."
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I checked this morning and my payoff is $36,000, at the $307 a month i was supposed to pay starting up again next week i would've paid off my loan in 2035. This is after i've been paying on my loan for 8 years already. I had used the income driven repayment plan to reduce that monthly payment to about half of that so i wasn't making any headway on that loan.

Oh yeah, plus another thing that ITT did that i didn't know at the time. I had to take out a $10,000 personal loan on top of everything else. I never understood why i was getting all these calls from debt collectors until i went to buy my house 7 years ago. I couldn't get a loan until that was settled, i had no clue i had ever signed up for that loan. So i had to settle with the creditor before i could close on my house. I've paid quite alot for my schooling over the years and feel no remorse for getting debt relief.

College is a good thing, but the price is waaaaaay too high. Especially for all these "for profit" schools, i'd never recommend anybody go to any of those. To saddle a student with debt like that and have to pay it off 20+ years later is ridiculous. I always felt i got ripped off in my education, and i may have felt the same if i went to an actual accredited program. I know different professions require different skills, but i learned 99% of what i know about electronic engineering from working my job, not from school.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:11 pm Oberlin College loses $11 million case against a bakery.

A clear case of SJWs acting ignorantly and getting bitch slapped by the actual law for it.
$36.59 million
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Why is black capitalized in that story? That's a serious question. Are we supposed to capitalize white and black like Hispanic?

Also, that story is such a great example of how wrong SJWs usually are because they always take the side of their preferred "victim" rather then the side supported by the facts.

Think anyone lost their jobs? Also, if a small college can pay out $36M without blinking, higher education is WAY overpriced.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:30 pm Why is black capitalized in that story? That's a serious question. Are we supposed to capitalize white and black like Hispanic?
https://apnews.com/article/archive-race ... 9105661462
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Heh, so not capitalizing "white."

I am White with shock.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:00 pm
Leisher wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:30 pm Why is black capitalized in that story? That's a serious question. Are we supposed to capitalize white and black like Hispanic?
https://apnews.com/article/archive-race ... 9105661462
Holy shit, that is blatantly racist.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

College rankings should be abolished.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:51 am
I support this thought. I think the rankings validate a bullshit system that hurts students. I think it's impossible to actually rank education. You can rank facilities and you can rank test scores that include ALL students. However, you cannot base education on test scores or career results at one school over another because there are so many other variables. Those rankings feel very arbitrary and like they're based on factors outside of the college's control.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:51 am
Opinion piece on CNN agrees.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

"If institutions of higher learning truly believe in their product, why do they not take on the financial risk of being the lender?"
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Why in the world would they? The government turned on an unlimited money spigot for them, with federally guaranteed student loan with no cost controls.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Doctors who graduate from the University of Minnesota Twin Cities are going to put buffalo shit on your wounds.

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Why did they feel the need to phonetically spell Ojibwe? Super racist.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yale Law pulling out of college rankings system.

Immediately, you think, "Oh, did they get pushed way down the rankings?"

No, they're still #1, but the stance they are taking is that the rankings cannot possibly be fair and accurate because so many of the criteria is impossible to measure.

Got to say, that's impressive, but the skeptic in me still wonders what the real angle is...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Good. Fuck the rankings.