The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by GORDON »

My freshman dorm had people pulling the fire alarm, all night, night before the first exams. Each time you're required to leave the building while the fire department went through the building. Not fucking with people trying to study.... keeping you from getting any rest.

I hate people who do shit like that.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: My freshman dorm had people pulling the fire alarm, all night, night before the first exams. Each time you're required to leave the building while the fire department went through the building. Not fucking with people trying to study.... keeping you from getting any rest.

I hate people who do shit like that.
That's assholery.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That's a whole other level of assholery.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Everyone I know in technical fields is killing it. It's absurd. Abso-fucking-lutely absurd.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

BGSU makes national news.

Frats continue to be filled with fucking morons.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:37 am BGSU makes national news.

Frats continue to be filled with fucking morons.
I remember two of my suitemates pledging freshman year. We all went to the parties, etc, but those two kept up through the pledging, etc. I was always surprised more people didn't die.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The government isn't very reliable on their promises of student loan forgiveness.

If you voted for someone solely because they were saying they'd get rid of your student loans, you deserve the betrayal.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Parents are going into deep, deep debt thanks to college.

We don't need to forgive college loans, we need to end the bullshit "everyone MUST go to college" belief. We also need to reign in college prices. Maybe end a lot of those guaranteed government money programs.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

NK defector says American schools have worse brainwashing than NK.

It's FAUX News though, so nobody will listen.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:21 am Your daily reminder that many college degrees are complete bullshit and only good for the college's bottom line.
Yeah, if you waste your $$ on an MFA, or many other degrees, you're the moron. And I do not support loan cancellation for these people.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Like I tell my underpaid Montessori teacher girlfriend: Degrees like a MFA, and Montessori teachers, are jobs for people who don't need the paycheck to live on. They are for trust fund babies, and those with rich doctor husbands. They're boutique jobs/degrees.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:22 pm They are for trust fund babies, and those with rich doctor husbands.
Which one is she?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:36 pm
GORDON wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:22 pm They are for trust fund babies, and those with rich doctor husbands.
Which one is she?
She's the Montessori teacher with two other part time jobs in order to pay the bills.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:21 pm
TheCatt wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:36 pm
Which one is she?
She's the Montessori teacher with two other part time jobs in order to pay the bills.
OK, so she messed up, and is not a trust fund baby or doctor wife? just confirming.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The pandemic probably greatly sped up the acceptance of remote learning.

Duh.

My oldest is going into her junior year of high school and is now starting to take college classes remotely at the same time. Remote learning makes it so much easier for her to do that.

Obviously remote learning has been the key to my college career as well.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Honestly, busing is so terrible, at least here, that I'd welcome it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:23 am Honestly, busing is so terrible, at least here, that I'd welcome it.
You mean for the younger kiddies?

I think there's still a bit too much negative there. I believe younger kids need in person instruction to keep their attention, give them socialization opportunities, and learn how to function around others.

However, once a person reaches a certain age, and more importantly, has enough other things going on in their life, remote learning makes a lot more sense.

For my kid, she'll still be attending high school classes in person, then college classes remotely at night. She also works at a nearby mall, is doing community service work for her college resume, and is doing plays both locally and in Cleveland.

Essentially, snow days should be a thing of the past. Kids who need extended absences should no longer have to fall behind their peers.

The world is smaller than ever and we need to abandon a lot of the old school thinking about how to get things done.