Islam - the thread of peace and tolerance

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I heard Muslim groups were doing a lot of volunteer cleanup of parks, while the government is shut down.

In the spirit of posting the good with the bad.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

What was the bad? A ridiculously efficient divorce process?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Eh.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: What was the bad? A ridiculously efficient divorce process?
I have a feeling it has something to do with women being treated as property/lesser/etc.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: What was the bad? A ridiculously efficient divorce process?
I have a feeling it has something to do with women being treated as property/lesser/etc.
Are they not?

Kidding! My initial response was sarcasm as well. Clearly their divorce process is as biased towards men as ours is towards women.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

American who ran off to ISIS is being denied re-entry to the U.S.

Trump's administration is telling her she no longer has citizenship. Trump is taking the blame, but wouldn't low level clerks be dealing with her applications?

Anyway, her people's argument is:
"Citizenship is a core right under the Constitution, and once recognized should not be able to be unilaterally revoked by tweet -- no matter how egregious the intervening conduct may be."
Fair enough and she is willing to return and face charges. However, when you leave the country and join an enemy of the country that is actively at war with the country, isn't that a pretty good reason to lose citizenship?

Also, this quote confuses me:
"During my years in Syria I would see and experience a way of life and the terrible effects of war which changed me. Seeing bloodshed up close changed me. Motherhood changed me. Seeing friends, children, and the men I married dying changed me," Muthana wrote.
She's been gone 5 years. How many men did she marry?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

She does have a point, people change. But she should be willing to face consequences beyond, "My bad, you guys. Let's just forget about all this."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: She does have a point, people change.
People do change. People also pretend to have remorse only to work against you from within.

She, essentially, actively worked against the U.S. previously. How can the U.S. trust her now?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

No argument.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, I'm with DJT on this one.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The Taliban allow two reporters full access for 36 hours.

Not a lot of PR experience in the Taliban apparently. This article shows us that they are exactly what people think. Oppressive and backwards.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

My first thoughts this morning:
"People are simply the worst."
"How does attacking innocent folks further anyone's cause?"
"I'm glad this happened in New Zealand and not here simply so we hopefully avoid the anti-gun rhetoric."
Vince

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:
"I'm glad this happened in New Zealand and not here simply so we hopefully avoid the anti-gun rhetoric."
AOC was already going after the NRA this morning.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote:
Leisher wrote:
AOC was already going after the NRA this morning.
To be fair, by saying "people", I was implying human beings.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

So, the in the absence of belief of after-life, would people behave differently?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
So, the in the absence of belief of after-life, would people behave differently?
If I'm reading that right, you're asking if we could prove there isn't an afterlife, would people behave differently?

Not all, no. You don't have to believe in 47 virgins to be willing to die. However, I think we'd see an immediate end to religious extremism.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Not all, no. You don't have to believe in 47 virgins to be willing to die. However, I think we'd see an immediate end to religious extremism.
Right? I figure there's got to be at least some reduction, as people realize this is their only shot. On the other hand, would really old/terminal people act with less care? :)