Climate Change (fka man-made global warming)

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:23 pm Great Barrier Reef has record growth.
Yeah, that's the one I meant. After 40 years of terribleness, this year wasn't!
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

Just like with my criticism of the plastic-skimming boat in the Pacific, anything a fleet of jets can do is too little, too late.

As I said then, if you have 100 horses escaping your barn every day, you don't get to jerk off over capturing 1 of them per month.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:09 pm you don't get to jerk off over capturing 1 of them per month.
Stop kink shaming.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

Here's someone somewhere else saying what I was saying before, energy devoted to cleaning up the plastic is wasted, unless they fix it at the source. People are finally agreeing. It was pretty obvious, though.
Yea. The Ocean Cleanup Project has done a lot of research into where most of the plastic is coming from. That's why they switched from primarily focusing on skimming plastic from the ocean to stopping it closer to the source. There's only like three rivers in first world countries that are called out by them. The differences in scale are just totally bonkers. Here's there video on it, but they share a lot of their data too:

Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:59 am energy devoted to cleaning up the plastic is wasted, unless they fix it at the source.
I would say the source MUST be stopped, but cleaning up the plastic is never wasted energy. Inefficient or ultimately pointless without stopping the flow, but not wasted.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

The problem is just too big at this point. Some company claimed they've cleaned up "1/1000th" of the pacific garbage patch, and are calling that great process. I'm calling pure bullshit, though. Maybe they skimmed the top 5 feet, over that small area, but it isn't like this shit is just up there in the top 5 feet. And it's constantly churning. And more is added every day.

They've got to stop it from growing, then they can do what they can but the great majority is just going to have to be absorbed and broken down by the planet. Burning fuel in those giant ships is just adding different pollution to the atmosphere, and never has any hope of getting anything done.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

What we need is to make it more profitable for corporations to treat the environment well. That's the only way things will change.

And that can never happen as long as corporations own all the politicians.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

That can't be good for the environment, but honestly, WTF?
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

I wouldn't have guessed enlightened Amsterdam to have such a bike theft problem.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:44 pm That can't be good for the environment, but honestly, WTF?
those are primarily stolen bikes that people ditch in the canals so they won't be found/caught.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

This genius has the solution to climate change.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

I mean, he's not wrong....
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

To be honest, there are very few problems that full genocide can't solve.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

"Great Pacific Garbage Patch Cleanup."

https://www.popsci.com/environment/ocea ... organisms/

Things to take away from this article:
1. They admit the amount of trash entering the environment is massively more than what they clean up.
2. They're killing a lot of sea life while gathering plastic.
3. "Experts" have suggested the pics of heaps of plastic being collected was fake, because it's all too pristine.
Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

The kid who invented the "skim the surface" solution still seems to be doing the best work here. Pretty sure I posted a video of his boats somewhere earlier in this thread.
TheCatt
Site Admin

More proof

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

More proof

Post by Leisher »

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they said polar bears would be extinct by now, but their numbers are rising.

In other news, Greta Thunberg comes out as a far left extremist who wants to end capitalism and blames it for the world's ills.
GORDON
Site Admin

More proof

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:06 pm Be sure to see glaciers before they leave
Finally. I've been getting sick and tired of living at the end of the last ice age.