California - Because it needs its own thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Stop letting the illegal mexicans over the border to pick your produce for slave wages. There, reparations.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Stop letting the illegal mexicans over the border to pick your produce for slave wages. There, reparations.
I mean, you have an extremely solid point there. While CA allows corporations and the rich to use illegal labor cheaply, it makes tax payers fund those illegals living in the U.S.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: Stop letting the illegal mexicans over the border to pick your produce for slave wages. There, reparations.
I mean, you have an extremely solid point there. While CA allows corporations and the rich to use illegal labor cheaply, it makes tax payers fund those illegals living in the U.S.
Last I checked CA pays our share of state and federal taxes to support those people. Actually we pay more than our share, our money also goes off to those lazy, non working folks in states like Louisiana, Missippi, and Alabama. I would prefer it stayed in California and supported my hard working amigos.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote:
Leisher wrote:
Last I checked CA pays our share of state and federal taxes to support those people. Actually we pay more than our share, our money also goes off to those lazy, non working folks in states like Louisiana, Missippi, and Alabama. I would prefer it stayed in California and supported my hard working amigos.
The taxes thing goes both ways, and incidentally, the "more than your fair share" that you pay is thanks to your state, not the feds. We all pay the same amount to the feds (unless you're Trump). So no worries! A good portion of your tax money is staying right there in CA where you want it!

It'd be great if your hard working amigos would learn the language and start filing for citizenship, but let's be clear, the corporations and rich folk don't want them to do that because then they'd have to give them real pay and benefits. It's interesting because the Dems want to make them citizens as they want those votes. Notice how nobody is in a hurry to boot them out of the country, but whenever fast tracks to citizenship are brought up that gets shot down by people not pushing for them to be deported.

Also, while I totally agree that the majority of illegals coming here are good people looking for better lives, willing to work for it, and they are EXACTLY who we should want to immigrate here, I do not think ALL are hard working or good people. I also don't think ALL unemployed southerners are lazy, although I think it's fair to say that if being lazy wasn't in their genes then maybe slavery wouldn't have happened and they would have risen again... :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: We all pay the same amount to the feds (unless you're Trump).
Nope, the rich pay more, and CA has more rich.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Nope, the rich pay more
1. That's not what I'm told all the time by certain activists.
2. I'm discussing citizen by citizen. A household making X in Kentucky is paying the same as a household in CA also making X. Loopholes and whatnot aside.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: A household making X in Kentucky is paying the same as a household in CA also making X. Loopholes and whatnot aside.
Right, but
CA median income: $75k
KY median income: $50k
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: A household making X in Kentucky is paying the same as a household in CA also making X. Loopholes and whatnot aside.
Right, but
CA median income: $75k
KY median income: $50k
And the cost of living reflects that as well.

And none of this has anything to do with how illegals are used like modern day slaves and the possible payment of reparations.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: And the cost of living reflects that as well.
But the taxes don't.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: the taxes don't.
I'd say they do considering all the additional state taxes and fees on everything out there.

One of the reasons my company moved out of CA was due to the insane taxes and regulations being imposed upon not only their plant, but also on everything about their business. I guess they should have hired illegals to offset those costs.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Loopholes
:roll:

We need another filter/macro.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Saw this story linked by someone on FB.

CA gov wants folks to wear their masks between bites.

If this is really necessary, then why are restaurants even open for dine in? It clearly isn't safe.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I don't know who Joe Collins is, but he would get my vote based on this alone.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I don't know who Joe Collins is, but he would get my vote based on this alone.
When it comes to Congress, federal law only requires members live in the same state as the district.
I did not know that.

Apparently a lot of this comes from redistricting: https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol ... story.html
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Why would any rich politician want to live in a poor district?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: When it comes to Congress, federal law only requires members live in the same state as the district.
Doesn't matter if it's ok by the rules or not, it's something that Joe believes is important and I'm sure he's not alone.

Maybe this is a rule that we should revisit? Seems like it shouldn't be fine for someone to live in Northern California yet be able to represent a district in San Diego. (That's not what is happening, just pointing out the extremes the law allows.)

Granted, we could argue this down to living on the same street as someone you represent, but I think we can take it down to municipalities without being assholes about it. Seems like someone would fight harder to improve the property values and lives of the one's in their own community than ones far away.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Doesn't matter if it's ok by the rules or not, it's something that Joe believes is important and I'm sure he's not alone
It would seem logical. But I best a lot of those districts are pretty close to each other.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: But I best a lot of those districts are pretty close to each other.
Very likely, but that doesn't mean they aren't vastly different. There's a suburb here that's smackdab in the middle of the metropolitan area that is very well off. It borders several areas that are far worse off than the residents within the suburb.

There can be really nice areas and really bad ones within the territory of a single district, so I don't see why we can't change the rule. Plus, we know one of two things will happen anyway:
1. They will redraw district lines to give themselves places to live.
2. They will maintain two homes.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: 1. They will redraw district lines to give themselves places to live.
Federal Congress people are at the mercy of State congresspeople for that, afaik.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: 1. They will redraw district lines to give themselves places to live.
Federal Congress people are at the mercy of State congresspeople for that, afaik.
But they all work together. Two parties!