California - Because it needs its own thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:58 pmOprah 2024!
Fuck it, why not? I would love a new car.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post by Troy »

"Stories About The Golden State’s Demise Are Overblown" https://www.forbes.com/sites/angelauyeu ... 515a8d6b37

Z and I were counted in the "SF shuffle" infographic.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Whatever Newsom's chances were for a recall before this week... CA's pretty unexpected $75B budget surplus last year is going to wipe it straight away.

Unless he spends all $75B at the French Laundry.

e: this is a link subforum: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/28/busi ... arket.html

tldr; the surplus is because of capital gains for wealthy individuals, and the stock market soaring. Should have invested in DOGE too.
Last edited by Troy on Tue May 11, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

$75B is pretty amazing on a budget of $200B.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'll be impressed if they give it back to the citizens.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:09 pm I'll be impressed if they give it back to the citizens.
Cutting checks to 2/3rds of them, at least.

There is some question as to whether the COVID relief dollars the federal government sent our way played a big role. I think ... duh? We'll return it if the other states do :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:59 pm Cutting checks to 2/3rds of them, at least.
Including the illegals? :D

Seriously, that's a big win for CA, and you're right about cancelling out the recall threat. Money buys happiness.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:24 pm
Troy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:59 pm Cutting checks to 2/3rds of them, at least.
Wow - the answer is yes. Providing they file taxes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 pm
Who the hell are the 1/3rd not getting money?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:41 pm
Troy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 pm

Who the hell are the 1/3rd not getting money?
Dirty, awful, gentrifying tech workers and their spouses.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy, isn't the law there that unless the crime equals $1000 or so, the DA won't prosecute?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:39 am Troy, isn't the law there that unless the crime equals $1000 or so, the DA won't prosecute?
Prop 47, passed before we arrived, helped caused this. It has a bizarre name, but was to stop overcrowding in jails. <$950 dollars of property theft/damage was downgraded to a misdemeanor, which means cited and instantly released, no jail time.

Another issue was the recent DA of SF, whose parents were in the Weather Underground bombing cops and has let this kind of stuff go wild. Chesa Boudin is his name, and a google of him will reveal the shit he's let slide.

I saw this coming in SF, and this was why I pushed to move into the East Bay in 2019, into land protected by County Sheriffs. The SF police don't even try, they know the DA won't bring charges. There is a tipping point here coming soon. Practically a Gotham like situation.

Prop 47 was supposed to keep minor offenders from overcrowding jails. But organized crime stepped in. They get crackheads and petty criminals to clear these shelves in a few minutes of high value toiletries, take them to the gang fence, who then flips them overseas or elsewhere for significant cash. The SF DA views it as a quality of life crime, or something.

17 Walgreens and counting have closed in the city because they can't make a profit with organized thefts.
https://www.thesfnews.com/shoplifting-h ... ores/77228

And finally, because anecdotal evidence is the worst evidence - I have been in Walgreens buying stuff when this has happened. More than once, in the downtown Financial district of San Francisco. The video in this tweet isn't shocking or even surprising to me. It's like seeing a homeless person poop on the sidewalk - I've seen that a bunch of times too.

The city is a great place to work and eat, but a terrible place to live. The only way I can think of for these businesses to work with the laws and DA in place is the way Amazon does their pop-up food shops. Membership and payment required before entering the store turnstiles. Then you just pick what you want and walk out, and it somehow charges you appropriately.
Last edited by Troy on Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I also believe Prop 47 is responsible for the uptick in Catalytic Converter thefts plaguing California. Some people with Priuses have been hit multiple times in the span of a few months. It's 2-3k to replace, too! That said, I've heard it's a problem almost everywhere. Because soaring costs of Palladium and other REMs.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Fuck.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Was just on a Twitter thread by some blue checkmark and his cronies who were blaming this all on Fox News, Wall St., corporate greed, and so on. "Walmart was closing those locations anyway."

This is cult behavior, right?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:41 pm Was just on a Twitter thread by some blue checkmark and his cronies who were blaming this all on Fox News, Wall St., corporate greed, and so on. "Walmart was closing those locations anyway."

This is cult behavior, right?
The blue check marks, some of whom I agree on other stances, are killing me on this.

NEARLY ALL OF THEM ARE EAST COAST JOURNALISTS, AND NONE OF THEM LIVE IN THE BAY!!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:32 pm AND NONE OF THEM LIVE IN THE BAY!!!
I mean, it sounds like a terrible place to live :)
Troy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:35 pm
Troy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:32 pm AND NONE OF THEM LIVE IN THE BAY!!!
I mean, it sounds like a terrible place to live :)
Eh. I love the East Bay. I love that I'm 30m away from wine country and we can take brunch trips up there. I love being able to go for a run 24/7 in the same outfit. I like the gold mine of tech money that the wife and I have tapped into. I like being a homeowner in a scorching hot market, now that we've fixed the main problems!

I don't like parts of SF, largely due to mismanagement. That was true when we first moved there, though. Plenty of good parts in the city still.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:40 pm I love being able to go for a run 24/7 in the same outfit.
This, I am jealous of.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Troy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:40 pm Eh. I love the East Bay. I love that I'm 30m away from wine country and we can take brunch trips up there.
If you go to the CVS in Sonoma, I wired the network there.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."