Tesla Motors

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: What a stupid design.

How did that get past QA?
Musk made it happen. It does look pretty. Too bad it can make it impossible to open the door.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: What a stupid design.

How did that get past QA?
Musk made it happen. It does look pretty. Too bad it can make it impossible to open the door.
This sounds like an ongoing debate I have with my wife: aesthetics vs function.

Her: "Doesn't this look nice!" (Notice that isn't a question...)
Me: "Sure, but you just added three steps to [whatever task]."
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by GORDON »

How was the key fob not present? It failed in a different way. Still bad design.

My electric car gets stupid when the 12V battery dies, can't even put the transmission in neutral for a tow. I imagine if I ever drive it into a pond or river, if I can't break the windows, I'll never get the door open and will die.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by Leisher »

Sounds like your car's battery needs a backup battery.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by GORDON »

It really is a weird setup.

The big battery seems to be for the drive train, period.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: It really is a weird setup.

The big battery seems to be for the drive train, period.
Probably different kind of electrons.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by Leisher »

New pickup being unveiled.
Musk has said the electric truck, which was first announced in 2013, will have a starting price of less than $50,000. He has also claimed it will be a better truck than a Ford F-150 and a better sports car than a Porsche 911.
Please shut the fuck up.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: New pickup being unveiled.
Musk has said the electric truck, which was first announced in 2013, will have a starting price of less than $50,000. He has also claimed it will be a better truck than a Ford F-150 and a better sports car than a Porsche 911.
Please shut the fuck up.
Color me skeptical.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by TheCatt »

Ford Mach-E Mustang to compete next year. BMW 4 series electric coming in 2021.

Pretty excited. I was in a friend's Jaguar this weekend. And it was fun, and fast, etc. (And ridiculously badged with the word "Jaguar" like 20 times inside + outside the car) But I really want my next car to be electric. ICE is the past.
GORDON
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by GORDON »

I'll need a toy-hauler for at least another decade, but I'm in the EV train for my commuter.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I'll need a toy-hauler for at least another decade, but I'm in the EV train for my commuter.
I'll need a new car in 2023... so plenty of time for more infrastructure. I just wish they'd standardize on chargers.
GORDON
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by GORDON »

Ditto. I won't even bother trying a multi-charger trip for a few more years, because of the charger situation.

I think mcd's should put a few chargers at EVERY location. Would make travelling easier.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I think mcd's should put a few chargers at EVERY location. Would make travelling easier.
I visited friends in DC this weekend, which is about 270 miles each way. Which, would make me feel anxious at the end with a 300+/- range (what if we get stuck in traffic, etc). Plus, I'd have to find somewhere to park if their place didn't have reserved electric parking, etc, etc.

Gas sure is convenient, still.
GORDON
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by GORDON »

Akshully, getting stuck in traffic wouldn't hurt. If you aren't moving, you aren't using much battery. And my car gets better range at slower speeds, anyway. Wind resistance is a factor.

But no doubt, gas infrastructure is there.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Akshully, getting stuck in traffic wouldn't hurt. If you aren't moving, you aren't using much battery. And my car gets better range at slower speeds, anyway.
Well, it's "winter," so the heat was on. Which sucks balls for electrics.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I just wish they'd standardize on chargers.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: I just wish they'd standardize on chargers.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
We all have the same gas tank interface. Well, except Diesel people.
Leisher
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by Leisher »

They're never going to make the chargers the same because they're all greedy cunts.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: They're never going to make the chargers the same because they're all greedy cunts.
I would guess within 10 years, standardization becomes legislated or otherwise enforced.
!RemindMe 12/31/2029
Leisher
Site Admin

Tesla Motors

Post by Leisher »

What you're going to get is something like how phones are today. The phones themselves aren't compatible, but the other end of their charger will plug into any USB port.