Harvard accused of discrimination

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Against Asian-Americans.
The complaint, filed by a coalition of 64 organizations, says the university has set quotas to keep the numbers of Asian-American students significantly lower than the quality of their applications merits. It cites third-party academic research on the SAT exam showing that Asian-Americans have to score on average about 140 points higher than white students, 270 points higher than Hispanic students and 450 points higher than African-American students to equal their chances of gaining admission to Harvard. The exam is scored on a 2400-point scale.

The complaint was filed with the U.S. Education Department’s Office for Civil Rights.

“Many studies have indicated that Harvard University has been engaged in systemic and continuous discrimination against Asian-Americans during its very subjective ‘Holistic’ college admissions process,” the complaint alleges.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

“There is a lot of discrimination, and it hurts not just Asian-Americans, it hurts the whole country,” said Yukong Zhao, a 52-year-old Chinese-American author who helped organize the coalition. He said there are longtime stereotypes of Asian applicants’ being “not creative enough or risk-taking enough, but that’s not true.

I've heard a shitfucktonload of stereotypes in my life. Those two are not among them. This is still hilarious all around.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:I've heard a shitfucktonload of stereotypes in my life. Those two are not among them. This is still hilarious all around.
Really? I've heard those a lot.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:
Malcolm wrote:I've heard a shitfucktonload of stereotypes in my life. Those two are not among them. This is still hilarious all around.

Really? I've heard those a lot.

Shit. The Yakuza didn't get where they are today by being unoriginal and shy.

Edited By Malcolm on 1431793325
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Against Asian-Americans.
The complaint, filed by a coalition of 64 organizations, says the university has set quotas to keep the numbers of Asian-American students significantly lower than the quality of their applications merits. It cites third-party academic research on the SAT exam showing that Asian-Americans have to score on average about 140 points higher than white students, 270 points higher than Hispanic students and 450 points higher than African-American students to equal their chances of gaining admission to Harvard. The exam is scored on a 2400-point scale.

The complaint was filed with the U.S. Education Department’s Office for Civil Rights.

“Many studies have indicated that Harvard University has been engaged in systemic and continuous discrimination against Asian-Americans during its very subjective ‘Holistic’ college admissions process,” the complaint alleges.
Federal judge upholds Harvard's admissions practices
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Supporters of affirmative action fear that if this case makes it to the nation's highest court, race-conscious admissions could be eliminated.
Uh oh.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
Supporters of affirmative action fear that if this case makes it to the nation's highest court, race-conscious admissions could be eliminated.
Uh oh.
Wish they'd hurry up so I can figure out if my kids are Hispanic or not :)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I jokingly told my kid he was adopted, today.

Without missing a beat he said, "Good, it will help me get into college."

He already knows he's fucked because of his gender, sex, and color of his skin.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: He already knows he's fucked because of his gender, sex, and color of his skin.
All things he can decide to change on a whim.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Good point.

Especially if in his admissions essay he talks about how his father was in the USMC and doesn't approve, but he has to follow his feminine heart....

He's a lock
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Appellate court says no problem

I would expect this to hit SCOTUS.