Elon Musk

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:38 pm You buy a stock for $1. It becomes worth $11 million. You die. It does not get taxed. Your person inherits it for the full $11 million. They sell it for $10,999,999.00 in gains. No taxes are owed, as the basis of that stock (formerly $1), becomes $11 Million when you die. Magic! no taxes! BUT, if you had given that stock to someone before you died, and they sold it, they would owe capital gains tax on the $10,999,999.00 gain.
Remember when you gave Gordon all that shit for his reading comprehension? I, literally, covered this in the sentence after the one you quoted:
Leisher wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:24 pm Now I should stipulate that I'm fine with interest/earnings that have not been taxed yet being taxed once realized.
TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:38 pm I'm not really sure how you would have 1.5M in a savings account, with only $1.3M having been taxed before. That would be infinitely more likely with stocks.
Seriously...
Leisher wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:24 pm (These are going to all be made up numbers, FYI.)
TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:38 pm No taxes at all, as the inheritance/lifetime exclusion is currently $11.7 million per person dying. Even if you paid $100k for those $800k in stocks, no taxes on the $700k gains. That's the "step up" basis that I think should be removed from inheritances.
That part I did not know. Interesting. Does that number move based on inflation/COI or just whenever Congress moves it?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by GORDON »

wow the elon musk thread got booooooring

i hope he puts another car in space soon for funsies
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:00 am Does that number move based on inflation/COI or just whenever Congress moves it?
Both. For example, right now it goes up by inflation every year... until 2025. Then it reverts back to $5 million in 2026, then goes up again indexed for inflation.

The Trump tax cuts raised it to the $11M range, but they didn't want to pay for it, so they made it expire.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:00 am Leisher wrote: ↑Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:24 pm
Now I should stipulate that I'm fine with interest/earnings that have not been taxed yet being taxed once realized.
TheCatt wrote: ↑Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:38 pm
I'm not really sure how you would have 1.5M in a savings account, with only $1.3M having been taxed before. That would be infinitely more likely with stocks.
Seriously...
The weird part of your statement is that interest is taxed every year. So I was just trying to clarify that your made-up example is, uh, impossible. YOu know, help educate the special kids. :P Capital gains are not taxed until realized, so they are really the focus.
Leisher
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by Leisher »

Fair, I did not take into account taxes on interest annually.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by Leisher »

Offers a kid $5K to end a Twitter account that tracks his jet.

The kid wanted more, but Elon balked with this reasoning:
The last message exchange was Wednesday, Jan. 19, when Musk said it didn't feel right "to pay to shut this down."
I'm with Musk on this one. It's creepy and an invasion of his privacy for someone to be posting his whereabouts non-stop. Musk is a high profile person and that is bound to draw the attention of whackos. Musk is a private citizen and this feels like harassment.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by TheCatt »

I'm with the kid. It's just tracking a plane, which is public data. It's not like Elon hasn't fueled the fire of his fandom.
Leisher
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:21 pm It's just tracking a plane, which is public data.
Public data, fine. However, it's not data most people would even know is out there to mine.
TheCatt wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:21 pm It's not like Elon hasn't fueled the fire of his fandom.
This is not fine. So if he gets murdered, it's his fault?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:49 pm TheCatt wrote: ↑Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:21 pm
It's not like Elon hasn't fueled the fire of his fandom.
This is not fine. So if he gets murdered, it's his fault?
He was asking for it!

Censorship is never the answer.
Leisher
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:55 pm He was asking for it!
Ok rapist. :D
TheCatt wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:55 pm Censorship is never the answer.
Fair point, but I don't think this is censorship. Gray area. It's all public and I'm not saying make it unavailable, but specifically compiling that data to identify where a very rich public figure is at all times seems highly unsafe. All 150K people that follow it should be on a watch list.

Let's say you had a creepy neighbor who was a huge fan of your wife. He opened a Twitter account and start making public her daily routines so anyone following it would know when she's home, when she's gone, etc. Sure, it's public knowledge, but it's creepy.

In a totally unrelated note, I'm moving into your neighborhood. What kind of car does your wife drive...?
GORDON
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by GORDON »

I'd take the 5k to close that account but then direct people to my brand new account doing the exact same thing.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by TheCatt »

Public figures are treated differently under the law. I don’t know the details. But stalking Elon vs stalking my wife are not the same. How different, dunno. It’s reasonable to say there’s public interest in elons travel due to his wealth, public figureness, job, etc.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by TheCatt »

Maybe these people could watch that twitter feed?
GORDON
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by GORDON »

I would kill every person who ate a billionaire. They get a taste for human flesh and then run out of billionaires to eat... then what.

So put them down immediately. It's a good policy.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:55 am I would kill every person who ate a billionaire. They get a taste for human flesh and then run out of billionaires to eat... then what.

What if they eat the billionaire, and are like "Wow, that didn't taste good at all, I'm done"
GORDON
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by GORDON »

Can we take that chance? This isnt a "I didn't know" situation. One makes the choice to go cannibal, and unless you're in a downed plane in the Andes, I don't have sympathy. "I missed lunch and was feeling peckish so I ate Elon" is not a good reason.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:04 am Can we take that chance? This isnt a "I didn't know" situation. One makes the choice to go cannibal, and unless you're in a downed plane in the Andes, I don't have sympathy. "I missed lunch and was feeling peckish so I ate Elon" is not a good reason.
I'm willing to let them try Elon, and then see how it goes.
GORDON
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by GORDON »

Nah I want to see if that Starship can get to the Moon first.
Leisher
Site Admin

Elon Musk

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:55 am I would kill every person who ate a billionaire. They get a taste for human flesh and then run out of billionaires to eat... then what.

Agreed. This rally cry isn't "Give me liberty or give me death", it's "Give me what you have because I refuse to work for it."