Being a parent

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:12 am Someone spent time and money on this study.
Right? Just have children. Of course they don't know.

Our kids were very surprised to learn where meat came from. Almost threatened to become vegetarians.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by Leisher »

No other good area to put this.

More Americans think single moms and cohabitation are bad for society.

Since we've posted the numbers here in years past that kids from single parent homes are far, far more likely to be involved in crime and/or drugs, the public opinion numbers should probably be higher.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by TheCatt »

The kids aren't alright.
GORDON
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by GORDON »

My kid.... and a couple family members his age.... have no idea what the big deal is about sex or even dating. I don't understand that at all and suspect there's a hormone problem across the entire generation.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:14 pm No other good area to put this.

More Americans think single moms and cohabitation are bad for society.

Since we've posted the numbers here in years past that kids from single parent homes are far, far more likely to be involved in crime and/or drugs, the public opinion numbers should probably be higher.
Was listening to a podcast today that basically said "marriage has become a luxury good in America" (it's an Economics podcast, thus the terminology). But one thing that was interesting was that even in poorer parts of societies, Asians have much higher double parent family rates. The main interviewee is about my age, and is liberal, and in liberal social/academic circles, etc. And she's basically trying to get liberals to understand and agree that "two parents are better than one," and it's a super unpopular stance on that side of the aisle. I also read an article in the WSJ about dads being good (not just two parents).

Maybe society will learn that some day /s
GORDON
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by GORDON »

I see lots of young people whine "we're all so broke it's impossible to have kids," to which are answer "poor people re having kids all the time," and then I get down voted.
Leisher
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by Leisher »

I think there's an abundance of studies, and certainly a fuckton of stats, out there proving that two parent households are far superior to single parent households when it comes to child rearing.

The one stat I remember is something like 60% of kids raised by a single mother end up in jail or addicted to drugs. That's not awesome.

In the words of Chris Rock, "Yeah, you can raise a kid without a man, but that doesn't mean it's to be done."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:29 pm The one stat I remember is something like 60% of kids raised by a single mother end up in jail or addicted to drugs. That's not awesome.
That # seems way too high.

Not even 1% of the US is in prison. (1.2M people out of 331M)
Leisher
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:30 pm
Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:29 pm The one stat I remember is something like 60% of kids raised by a single mother end up in jail or addicted to drugs. That's not awesome.
That seems way too high.
Wish I could pull out the source for you, but I was exposed to that stat many years ago. I assure you it's one that stuck with me because of the shock value. I did some Google searching just now trying to find it, but couldn't. However, the results I saw basically say "every possible negative outcome is at least doubled when the home only has one parent".
GORDON
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by GORDON »

Jail is more than prison.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:40 pm
TheCatt wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:30 pm
That seems way too high.
Wish I could pull out the source for you, but I was exposed to that stat many years ago. I assure you it's one that stuck with me because of the shock value. I did some Google searching just now trying to find it, but couldn't. However, the results I saw basically say "every possible negative outcome is at least doubled when the home only has one parent".
I think the stat is "60% of kids in jail/prison are from single parent homes," which seems much more believable. And disproportionate to their 25% representation in the population.
Leisher
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:53 pm I think the stat is "60% of kids in jail/prison are from single parent homes," which seems much more believable. And disproportionate to their 25% representation in the population.
Possibly? How did addiction get into the stat? I remember it specifically said "jail or addiction".

Anyway, Gordo is correct that jail is not prison. Drunks go to jail. Murderers go to prison.

Also, it's a revolving door. Any time spent in juvey, jail, or prison would count, not just who is in there right now. I assume arrests that turn into parole or house arrest probably count as well?

Not to bring race into it, but 13% of the population commits a staggeringly large percentage of the crime in this country. Now look at their single parent household rate. They lead all other races in this category by a lot.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:58 pm Not to bring race into it, but 13% of the population commits a staggeringly large percentage of the crime in this country. Now look at their single parent household rate. They lead all other races in this category by a lot.
They do.

I think the stats I heard this morning were: 88% Asians, 75% whites, 60% Hispanics, 50% of Black kids live in two parent homes, +/-.
Leisher
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by Leisher »

And Asians make more, do better in school, have a lower crime rate, etc. than all of us.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:53 pm And Asians make more, do better in school, have a lower crime rate, etc. than all of us.
That was certainly noted.
Leisher
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:55 pm
Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:53 pm And Asians make more, do better in school, have a lower crime rate, etc. than all of us.
That was certainly noted.
Can I identify my children as Asian?

We may or may not have had real conversations about letting people think we're Hispanic. They already do based on the last name, so just don't correct them and maybe get a discount on college... :D

Even though Italians are an actual minority, even compared to Hispanics here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:59 pm We may or may not have had real conversations about letting people think we're Hispanic. They already do based on the last name, so just don't correct them and maybe get a discount on college...
My "questioning his gender" son may or may not be contemplating claiming extreme anxiety to get a free solo dorm room, away from his roommate who goes to the gym, strips off his sweaty clothes, sleeps on them for a week, and has their room smelling like a gym locker. I was there today. It's pungent. We went and bought him some febreeze.... scented, so it wouldn't be subtle.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:59 pm We may or may not have had real conversations about letting people think we're Hispanic. They already do based on the last name, so just don't correct them and maybe get a discount on college...
I think you have to declare it on a form. But maybe that's not allowed any more.
GORDON wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:22 pm contemplating claiming extreme anxiety to get a free solo dorm room, away from his roommate who goes to the gym, strips off his sweaty clothes, sleeps on them for a week, and has their room smelling like a gym locker. I was there today. It's pungent. We went and bought him some febreeze.... scented, so it wouldn't be subtle.
Ick.
Leisher
Site Admin

Being a parent

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:27 am I think you have to declare it on a form. But maybe that's not allowed any more.
I don't think you "have" to declare it? Aren't there "other" or "prefer not to say" boxes?

But honestly, why can't we declare it? Prove we're not. "You don't look Hispanic" will get you a lawsuit. :D