Man arrested for videotaping cops at his door.

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Getting cell phone data requires a warrant, as far as I know. And, as the article indicated, there aren't yet any laws to control bulk gathering of license plate data, with a simple script to see if there are warrants attached to that person.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That would be crazy inefficient. Do you know how many people have outstanding warrants? It's a lot. And unless they're a murderer or serial rapist, not worth the effort.

Not to mention it doesn't give them any info except that person might be at that location. Then it would require a separate team of officers standing by to stake out the car, follow it, and so on. Oh, and all of them must be keeping this all a secret. It's about as plausible as the ice wall surrounding the flat Earth and guarded by NASA.

Again, this has to be about making the city money.

BTW, I've seen street surveillance systems in person and you would (probably not) be shocked at what they see and how much data they can process. Saw one in action at DTW 2019. Pretty amazing and unsettling. Those exist and they just require a camera and software. Facial recognition software, barring some ruling I missed, is being used in this country.

Point being, this has to be something different and the city has to be making money. They're either getting a grant or are going to be able to charge people taxes.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:46 pm Getting cell phone data requires a warrant, as far as I know. And, as the article indicated, there aren't yet any laws to control bulk gathering of license plate data, with a simple script to see if there are warrants attached to that person.
Yes.
Leisher wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:50 pm Facial recognition software, barring some ruling I missed, is being used in this country.
It is.
Leisher wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:50 pm They're either getting a grant or are going to be able to charge people taxes.
Yeah, i'm super curious to where the money is. They must be selling the data.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Maybe they could track all these amber alerts I get better with these readers, and stop sending me alerts.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:17 am Maybe they could track all these amber alerts I get better with these readers, and stop sending me alerts.
This could actually be a legit reason for such a system.

Is it worth everyone's privacy though?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:29 am
TheCatt wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:17 am Maybe they could track all these amber alerts I get better with these readers, and stop sending me alerts.

People have no reasonable expectation of privacy on public roads.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:38 am
Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:29 am

People have no reasonable expectation of privacy on public roads.
You're not wrong.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Imagine if every time you left your yard, a government sedan with blacked out windows followed you. When you went to the store, it waited outside. When you went home, it followed and parked on the curb. If you wanted to find out who was following you, you'd be given a runaround about "sorry, he's a private contractor."

You may have no expectation of privacy, but I say that automatic plate tracking, whether you're innocent or not, is morally equivalent to having a set of government eyes on you at all times, keeping track of your movements in a little notebook. Is this how we want to live?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:51 pm Is this how we want to live?
We already are. Edward Snowden proved that the government was already monitoring all of our calls and emails. Nobody did shit. TikTok is the #1 website in the world having just surpassed Google and the entire premise of it is people filming themselves and putting it out to the world.

Almost everywhere you go there are security cameras watching you. Most intersections already have cameras. Ditto for most major roadways. The number of other drivers with cameras installed in their cars is constantly growing. Many cars now come with GPS in them (Onstar, etc.). Meanwhile, your phone tracks you everywhere you go. Your credit cards track stores you frequent and what you purchase. If you happen to travel, your CC knows and will call to make sure it's you. Your browser and ISP know everything you do on the web. Many corporations are involved in tracking you and selling the data they learn about your habits.

You want privacy? Head to the bathroom.

None of this will change until society crumbles.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:51 pm Imagine if every time you left your yard, a government sedan with blacked out windows followed you. When you went to the store, it waited outside. When you went home, it followed and parked on the curb. If you wanted to find out who was following you, you'd be given a runaround about "sorry, he's a private contractor."

You may have no expectation of privacy, but I say that automatic plate tracking, whether you're innocent or not, is morally equivalent to having a set of government eyes on you at all times, keeping track of your movements in a little notebook. Is this how we want to live?
Right, so I agree with you about the private contractor aspect, but I'm basically OK with some level of state surveillance.

But yes, I'd prefer the police be able to be like
"The murdered got away in a blue sedan with plates PPP1123" and then figure out where that went.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It isn't where I want to live. I don't want to be watched everywhere I go. So I will always vote against shit like that, knowing full well the most invasive shit never, ever goes up for a vote. Good think the majority of people like it.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

This conversation reminds me of one I had with my aunt. She was concerned about EMI in her home from her cable modem/wireless router. Was concerned about the Cat6 cable being running through the walls and the EMI they caused. We had this conversation via her cellphone. I told her all of the stuff she was asking me about was nothing compared to her cellphone, TV, microware, refrigerator (and other large electrical devices). Her response was "Ya, I know. But you have to pick your battles". I'm not sure how that response made her concern make sense. . . but that's what it was. She had the contractor install a "kill switch" (so, a switch) that cut power to her cable modem/router and still wanted it in a Faraday cage because she was sure Bill Gates had it doing stuff to her even when it was off.

Bottom line. If you were really concerned about people tracking/watching you, you wouldn't carry a cellphone. NOTHING else out there is as invasive as that device. Not even close.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

But getting cell phone data typically requires a judge and a warrant.

Scanning your license plate 20 times during 5 miles of errands is perfectly fine, you just need a government entity willing to do it. Or, that blacked out sedan with the contractor and a notebook.

It's the principle of the thing.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:10 pm It isn't where I want to live. I don't want to be watched everywhere I go.
Me either. Hell, most people are probably in this camp.

However, (and I am NOT being snarky at you) what are we doing about it? Have you disabled the GPS in your vehicle? Do you not take your phone with you everywhere? As consumers, have we pushed back HARD against these invasions of our privacy or have we shrugged our shoulders and just moved on?

We could do a list of all the hacks and intrusions that have gone on over the past 10-20 years and probably break this site. What has the public reaction been? Outrage? Laws preventing this shit? Or just a lot more hacks, intrusions, and so on?

Nobody cares enough to do anything.
Cakedaddy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:37 pm Bottom line. If you were really concerned about people tracking/watching you, you wouldn't carry a cellphone. NOTHING else out there is as invasive as that device. Not even close.
Yep
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:41 pm Hell, most people are probably in this camp.
You're all a bunch of criminals!

I'd really like to reduce the # of unsolved crimes. I'd like crime to go down, too. As unpopular as that opinion is these days, it's mine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I thought violent crime was already way down from... like.... ago.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:30 pm I thought violent crime was already way down from... like.... ago.
Why not lower?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

No matter how invasive we need to get. OOooo..... there's a thought. Tracking chips up our asses. Mandatory. why track cars when you can track people?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:34 pm No matter how invasive we need to get. OOooo..... there's a thought. Tracking chips up our asses. Mandatory. why track cars when you can track people?
That's illegal.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

"Anyone who wants to give up liberty for security deserves neither" *Drew Bledsoe

Data on a phone requires a warrant or a few dollars. Cause it's for sale too. Doesn't matter. If they want it, they'll get it.

The government will only know where your car has been based on plate pictures. Your cellphone? Those people know EVERYTHING.