Art Inside Art

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Art Inside Art

Post by Leisher »

Cupid found hidden in a famous Vermeer painting.

I've also been fascinated by how people hide art within art, particularly when it was painters from way back in the day. Granted, in this case it might have been someone else completely, but it's still pretty interesting.

Who thought of x-raying a painting first to see underneath the top layer? The way they can remove paint from on top of paint to expose paintings under paintings. How they test all the paints to determine time frames and what not. It's all very cool.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Art Inside Art

Post by TheCatt »

To recover the Cupid, conservators at Dresden State Art Collections decided not to remove the original 17th-century varnish, but instead meticulously chipped away at layers of paint with a medical scalpel under a microscope with 120x magnification, according to Koja. The process took two and a half years, with only a few square millimeters covered each day.
Holy crap.
Leisher wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:54 am It's all very cool.
Agreed. I would go insane though :)
It's not me, it's someone else.