Guess My Word

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by GORDON »

I see.

I suppose this isn't really a question of skill... just read books now and then, and have a decent vocabulary. Then get lucky with your guesses.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by TheCatt »

Last week, you were introduced to an online game, Guess My Word, in which you tried to guess a secret word by typing in other words. After each guess, you were told whether the secret word was alphabetically before or after your guess. The game stopped and congratulated you once you had guessed the secret word.

The secret word was randomly chosen from a dictionary with exactly 267,751 entries. If you had this dictionary memorized and played the game as efficiently as possible, how many guesses should you have expected to make to uncover the secret word?

Most solvers recognized that the most efficient strategy was a binary search, where you first guessed the middle word in the dictionary. If the secret word came later, you then guessed the middle word in the second half of the dictionary. But if the secret word came earlier, you guessed the middle word in the first half of the dictionary. With each guess, you narrowed the possibilities by approximately half, and there was also a chance that the guess itself was the secret word.

The sequence of guesses could therefore be structured as a complete binary tree whose top node was your first guess (the exact middle word in the dictionary). If the secret word came earlier in the dictionary, you moved to the right; if the secret word came later in the dictionary, you moved to the left. Eventually, you’d find the secret word.

Now that you had the optimal guessing strategy, all that was left was calculating the average number of guesses. In your binary tree, one word — the middle word in the dictionary — would be guessed on the very first attempt. Two words required two guesses, four words required three guesses, eight words required four guesses, 16 words required five guesses, and so on. For each additional guess, there were twice as many words.

It turned out that the number of words in the dictionary, 267,751, was 1 + 21 + 22 + 23 + … + 216 + 217 + 5608. And each term in the sum required one more guess than the term before it. To find the average number of guesses, you had to divide each of these terms by 267,751 and then multiply by the corresponding number of guesses. In the end, the average was approximately 17.042 guesses.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ca ... old-pizza/
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I see.

I suppose this isn't really a question of skill... just read books now and then, and have a decent vocabulary. Then get lucky with your guesses.
Yes, it's basically a binary search with luck.
Leisher
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by Leisher »

16 guesses on easy. I agree with Gordon that using a word with a prefix is a bit unfair. :D

The funny part is once I realized the prefix I started guessing words I thought might be related to the debate. 8 words, counting "the word", that were all negative.

17 on hard too because I tricked myself into thinking the target start letter must be followed by a vowel. I guessed 3 times before I thought, "What the fuck are you doing?"
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: 17 on hard too because I tricked myself into thinking the target start letter must be followed by a vowel.
Fair considering the letter. I had guessed i and o, and was trying to think of any letter in between before i worked on those, and got lucky on the letter/word i picked.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by TheCatt »

I wonder how good people are at approximating a binary search. I assume pretty good at the beginning, getting worse as the search goes on.
GORDON
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by GORDON »

I noticed in the "topscore" results a lot of people drill down quick with simple words, to minimize time.

"man tan can." stuff like that.
Leisher
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by Leisher »

They got me today. Fuckers. :D It genuinely made me laugh.

10 fucking words in the target letter for a total of 16.

15 guesses for the hard word.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: They got me today. Fuckers. It genuinely made me laugh.
LOL 14 for me. 11 in the target letter.

18 for the hard...
GORDON
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by GORDON »

17/19. I'm getting stupider.
GORDON
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by GORDON »

easy - 10 guesses, <2 minutes
hard - 19, 8 minutes
TheCatt
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: 10.5.2020

easy - 10 guesses, <2 minutes
hard - 19, 8 minutes
JFC - 19 for the eays.11 in the letter; 2 36

17 for hard; 2 24
Leisher
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by Leisher »

14 on the easy. Got stuck on vowels as the second letter again.

17 on hard.
Leisher
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by Leisher »

10/6/2020
13 on easy. 8 were in the letter.

22 for the hard one. 18 of them were in the letter...

11 of those had the first 3 or 4 letters...
GORDON
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: 10/6/2020
13 on easy. 8 were in the letter.

22 for the hard one. 18 of them were in the letter...

11 of those had the first 3 or 4 letters...
16, then 18.

easy - Had the first 3 letters for like 5 words.

hard - had the first FIVE letters for like 5 guesses. Christ.

They need to stop being clever with current events and choose words without so many similar variations. It becomes less about skill/vocabulary, and more about luck.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by TheCatt »

16 easy :evil:

25 holy fuck me. 22 of those were in the final letter.
Leisher
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by Leisher »

10 easy.

19 hard. 13 in the letter.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by TheCatt »

14 easy
and
14 hard

wtf?
Leisher
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by Leisher »

12 and 13 today.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Guess My Word

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: 12 and 13 today.
10 and 14