I'm offended! & Cancel Culture

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended! & Cancel Culture

Post by Leisher »

How do we not have a thread to list the daily news stories about people being offended and demanding things be banned?

Here's the first one. It's legit and Macy's is pulling the plates. Fucking joke plates are being pulled because "they trigger people with eating disorders".
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

I'm offended!

Post by Vince »

I long for the days when people just didn't do business with people that pissed them off.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by TheCatt »

Forever 21 sending diet bars with plus-sized orders
To receive an unsolicited diet bar isn’t just an insult; it’s a potentially dangerous invitation to question and critique oneself. That is especially true while buying clothes, and especially while buying clothes from the plus-size line of a mainstream retailer like Forever 21. One Twitter user wrote after receiving the unwanted Atkins bar: “bought a swimsuit online from forever 21 and they sent me an atkins bar along with it lmaoo thank u for reminding me that i don’t have a beach ready bod.” Another wrote, “Thanks Forever21 I have received my order of 5 items from the plus section.....oh and this #atkins bar that slipped in there. I don’t take kindly to people telling me how to live my life.” One woman used the hashtag #triggered.
Btw, if you were guessing that these were in ALL orders, we have a prize for you. It's nothing.
From time to time, Forever 21 surprises our customers with free test products from third parties in their e-commerce orders. The freebie items in question were included in all online orders, across all sizes and categories, for a limited time and have since been removed. This was an oversight on our part and we sincerely apologize for any offense this may have caused to our customers, as this was not our intention in any way.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

I'm offended!

Post by Troy »

Hey America. Stop eating so much cheese and try walking around for a change ffs.

Or continue to be triggered by the dumbest shit online rather than honestly looking in the mirror.
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

I laugh every time I see this story.

Troy is 100% right. Don't want to be triggered? Then change how you live/look!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

MGM security uniform kinda, sorta reminds someone of the Holocaust.

There's a badge and the shirt is yellow = TRIGGERED!!!!
Vince

I'm offended!

Post by Vince »

"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

10 year old charged with assault during dodgeball game.

The kid charged is black. The hurt kid is white. People are screaming racism from both sides.

The white kid also had a prior medical condition that should have prevented him from playing.

The cops say there is enough evidence for the assault charge, but the article doesn't discuss what. Which is why I'm posting this here and not the "moron" thread. There could be a history between these two or the throw could have been out of the bounds of the game.

Still, it's fun to watch the lunatics react without all the facts.
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

SNL fires new hire for past comments.
In one since-deleted video, Gillis says, "Let the f---ing ch--ks live there," of Chinatown. Gillis also mocks a Chinese accent, the language barrier and says, "Chinatown's f---ing nuts."
Now I'm one to defend speech, but "fucking chinks"? You couldn't have phrased that better?

Andrew Yang weighs in and I couldn't agree with him more.
Yang said he believes "as a society, we have become unduly punitive and vindictive about people making statements that some find offensive or distasteful."
"As the person who was personally called out in this case, I thought that if I could set an example that we can forgive people, particularly in an instance where, in my mind, it was in a comedic context or a gray area, that I thought it would be positive.
TheCatt
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Now I'm one to defend speech, but "fucking chinks"? You couldn't have phrased that better?
Yeah, he's not going to win that battle, especially since that's from 2018.

I agree with Yang. My wife really likes him as a candidate... I haven't really looked into him.
TheCatt
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

You're making a classic mistake. Sarah is a very vocal progressive, and thus, she's allowed to say chinks.

Although, maybe that's not true anymore considering her show about how the fly over states aren't filled with hate mongers?

Also, her use of the word was clearly in jest. I'm not certain that guy's was...
TheCatt
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Also, her use of the word was clearly in jest. I'm not certain that guy's was...
Yes, I think that's the case here.
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

Teacher who was fired for not using a student's preferred pronouns is suing.

I hope he wins. Nothing against the kid, but the "other person's" rights in our society need to be established.
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

This is a special one...

Houston Astros executive offends female reporters.

How?
According to the report by SI's Stephanie Apstein, during the celebration in the Houston Astros' clubhouse after the team's 6-4 win over the New York Yankees in Game 6 of the ALCS on Saturday, assistant general manager Brandon Taubman turned to a group of female reporters -- including one wearing a purple domestic violence awareness bracelet -- and repeatedly yelled, "Thank God we got Osuna! I'm so f---ing glad we got Osuna!"
Big deal, right?
Last season, Astros closer Roberto Osuna, 24, served a 75-game suspension for violating MLB's domestic violence policy. Osuna, while a member of the Toronto Blue Jays, was charged in May 2018 with domestic assault; the charge was later withdrawn when the woman he is alleged to have assaulted made it clear she would not travel from Mexico to Toronto to testify.
So the guy can't even celebrate getting a guy who was a key factor in their win because of the guy's past...
Troy

I'm offended!

Post by Troy »

Astros bigger fuck-up was spending 24 hours saying that SI made it up and that the incident never happened.

There were piles of reporters there to corroborate though. Who immediately starting burning the team.

PR fuckup of the highest order.
TheCatt
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Astros bigger fuck-up was spending 24 hours saying that SI made it up and that the incident never happened.

There were piles of reporters there to corroborate though. Who immediately starting burning the team.

My understanding was that they were not saying it didn't happen, but that it didn't happen as characterized. Like he was just saying it to reporters, not to that one wearing the purple shirt.
Troy

I'm offended!

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote:
Troy wrote: Astros bigger fuck-up was spending 24 hours saying that SI made it up and that the incident never happened.

My understanding was that they were not saying it didn't happen, but that it didn't happen as characterized. Like he was just saying it to reporters, not to that one wearing the purple shirt.
I mean - that's saying it didn't happen? (yelling at 3 female reporters repeatedly)

The other reporters who were in the room say it did.
Leisher
Site Admin

I'm offended!

Post by Leisher »

Why is there any controversy at all? Unless he was intentionally screaming it AT the women, including the one with the purple band (the meaning of which is news to me), with the intent of making some point about how that guy's domestic violence stuff means nothing and women can go fuck themselves, why is this a story?

Do we now have to examine colored bracelets of those around us to be sure that a topic is fair game? Can a person no longer discuss anything even remotely related to domestic abuse because someone in the conversation group once made a terrible choice in a romantic partner?

What about this story am I missing that makes it such a scandal?
Troy

I'm offended!

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Why is there any controversy at all? Unless he was intentionally screaming it AT the women, including the one with the purple band (the meaning of which is news to me), with the intent of making some point about how that guy's domestic violence stuff means nothing and women can go fuck themselves, why is this a story?
?
This is the allegation, yes. As backed up my multiple reporters who were not the women in the room. Yelling it 10 times or so in their faces. I can't confirm or anything,but I remember that yesterday.