The controversial Pepsi commercial

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Article with the ad in question.

Listen, I hate the Kardashians with a passion. I think they're everything wrong with our society. They're famous because their mom fucked a guy who helped a murderer walk free and the oldest(?) daughter fucked a nobody rapper on tape. So I'm all for whichever Kardashian this is to fail, but I don't understand why this commercial is causing such an uproar. This looks like every Coke Super Bowl commercial ever.

Can someone explain to me why people are so up in arms over it?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I am wondering why no one complained about the Coke commercial from the 70's that suggested Coke was the one factor that would help teach the whole world to come together and sing.

Oh yeah it's because the young people back then weren't, in general, mentally ill.

Sometimes I hope I am not doing my son a disservice by showing him how crazy the generation right before his, is.... he will have to live in their world and isn't going to fit well, unless he's good at pretending.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

I think it's the same reason people like me get upset when we talk about border security and it gets reduced to "you don't like brown people". Don't get me wrong, I think the motivations for the overwhelming number of protests today are stupid. That being said, the causes they march for are important to them. No one marching thinks the problem with whatever their cause is that famous people aren't getting enough air time. They think the problem is that THEY aren't being heard. Also, they apparently reduced their cause to simply wanting a police officer to drink a Pepsi. To a leftist activist, they've trivialized what they march for. They were reduced to mindless dolts. As opposed to the tea party marchers being reduced to hick racists.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ah, I hadn't put that much thought into it.

So they are big babies who will mock a light-hearted message if it invalidates their doom-and-gloom outlook?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, I watched the ads and didn't really get it either. Fuck em.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Ah, I hadn't put that much thought into it.

So they are big babies who will mock a light-hearted message if it invalidates their doom-and-gloom outlook?
Saw a take on this in a Vice news piece. I think it was more the corporations taking their feeling of independence, resistance, and struggle - and washing it all away and appropriating the interesting parts with generic corporate blandness.

And like Vince said, they want to be painted as agent of corporate blandness as much as Trump's peeps want to be painted as racist hicks.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Troy wrote:And like Vince said, they want to be painted as agent of corporate blandness as much as Trump's peeps want to be painted as racist hicks.
And the irony is that those that are offended by the Pepsi commercial will keep on accusing all Trump voters of being racists.

Sometimes I think we deserve to be snuffed out as a species.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Sometimes I think we deserve to be snuffed out as a species.
I always tell people that Hugo Drax had the right idea.

Then I remember that dogs chase their own tails, and it reminds me that stupidity is strong in all living things.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Remember when Pepsi offered a Harrier jet?

I didn't quite remember the outcome of that story.
It's not me, it's someone else.