United Airlines

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

United Airlines

Post by GORDON »

Who could have predicted.that the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality on 15-20 years ago could have produced such a generation of people with no realistic concept of how the world works. Besides me, I mean.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

United Airlines

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

United Airlines

Post by Troy »

So I have to fly next week. Can go direct with United. Stops and layovers with any other airline. What to do? God-dang it.
GORDON
Site Admin

United Airlines

Post by GORDON »

I have a dollar on him going United.
Troy

United Airlines

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: I have a dollar on him going United.
Goddamn it. I DO NOT WANT TO BE IN THE DENVER AIRPORT FOR HOURS.

I still haven't decided, and since i'm not paying for the ticket, I'm sleeping on it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

United Airlines

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, you know... principles. And my first principle is: No connections :)
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

United Airlines

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote: Yeah, you know... principles. And my first principle is: No connections :)
I intentionally took a flight with a layover one time.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

United Airlines

Post by GORDON »

Stick to your guns and put them out of business and they'll be replaced by some other company.

But I don't expect many people here, or many people in the world, to actually stick to their principles. Me, Vince, maybe Thib. The rest of y'all barely even hesitate to roll over and lick the boot. :-D
Troy

United Airlines

Post by Troy »

I can take Delta, hop in LAX and only add 2 hours to my trip. That's my best other option atm.
Vince

United Airlines

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: Stick to your guns and put them out of business and they'll be replaced by some other company.

But I don't expect many people here, or many people in the world, to actually stick to their principles. Me, Vince, maybe Thib. The rest of y'all barely even hesitate to roll over and lick the boot. :-D
I gave up flying out of principle against the TSA some time ago. So I'm with you on this. Hell to the no on booking United!
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

United Airlines

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Stick to your guns and put them out of business and they'll be replaced by some other company.

Just because you draw your line in places where we don't doesn't mean we don't stick to principles.

Seen me playing LoL lately? They offered free Jimmy John's at work today and I turned it down. Never had it, never will.

I have to fly for work. That makes it rather impossible for me to pretend to have some superior principles and claim I drive everywhere instead of flying. :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

United Airlines

Post by TheCatt »

Wait, what's wrong with Jimmy John's?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

United Airlines

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote: Wait, what's wrong with Jimmy John's?
It's passed off as edible. Ever wonder why their ad campaign focuses on their delivery speed and not their product?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

United Airlines

Post by GORDON »

You'd better secure the film rights to that "didn't eat the JJ sammitch" story before someone else does.

:-D
Troy

United Airlines

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Wait, what's wrong with Jimmy John's?
Myself and a coworker got a stomach bug from one of their sandwiches back in ATL. We both ordered them while working and a few hours later both got reasonably ill.

BUT, I still eat their BLT with a side of Jalapeno chips on a weekly basis.

I'm gonna go with Delta. Quick hop in LAX is fine, and I have good status on Delta.
Last edited by Troy on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leisher
Site Admin

United Airlines

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm wrote: Ever wonder why their ad campaign focuses on their delivery speed and not their product?
That's actually a really solid point. Same as how Marine recruiting ads focused on fighting dragons and other fantasy imagery instead of Marines' actual activities like the other branches.
Wait, what's wrong with Jimmy John's?
Never had the opportunity to eat their product. There are stores around, but nobody talks about them. Nobody. Then they recently built one near my office. This was around the same time the dentist killed that lion. During that mess Jimmy Johns' owner was outed as a "Big 5" hunter. I've hunted. I have no problem with hunters. I do have a problem with people hunting endangered species. Thus, I drew my line in the sand.

It's not just the endangered species thing, although that is huge. It's also how cowardly those hunts are, contrary to what they're supposed to represent. Tell me he's in the bush alone with a spear, and I'll go buy 10 subs right now. However, we know he's in a huge party, in no actual danger, and not actually hunting. He's just paying a lot of money to be a trigger man. Beautiful, endangered animals are dying because his dick's too small or whatever other excuse you want to use to explain why he's trying to prove he's a man.

I know I feel good about my boycott. Unlike airline travel, it's something I can control, and thus, avoid. I also tell folks about it when the chance appears. I don't throw it in their face, but if they ask why I don't want it I'll tell them. I find that sort of opinion sharing has a lot more power than "LOOK AT ME! I'M A VEGAN/ATHEIST/ETC AND YOU SHOULD BE TOO!"
GORDON wrote: You'd better secure the film rights to that "didn't eat the JJ sammitch" story before someone else does.
You jest, but those fuckers aren't giving away free sammitches because they're killing it. I know it has NOTHING to do with me, but I still take pride in it.

I've added Subway to the list too. Not for Jared because that's not their fault, but because of the wood filler and 50% actual meat they use.

Back to United, here's a story of them doing the same thing a week prior to this incident. Bonus points for the stewardess revealing they have a passenger priority list.
GORDON
Site Admin

United Airlines

Post by GORDON »

Troy wrote: I'm gonna go with Delta. Quick hop in LAX is fine, and I have good status on Delta.
Good for you.

The only correct answer, though, was, "Gonna drive/take the train."

As long as people keep tolerating the TSA violations, and in fact keep packing the airplanes, it tells the TSA they haven't yet gone far enough as to what people will tolerate.
Leisher
Site Admin

United Airlines

Post by Leisher »

The only correct answer, though, was, "Gonna drive/take the train."

As long as people keep tolerating the TSA violations, and in fact keep packing the airplanes, it tells the TSA they haven't yet gone far enough as to what people will tolerate.
Not saying you're wrong at all, but the problem with boycotting air travel is that it isn't realistic.

Not just from a logistics stand point regarding the business world, but also just getting everyone on the same page. The country can't just boycott air travel. It'll never happen. That means you're just punishing yourself.

This is one of those areas where reaching out to your elected representatives and starting grass roots campaigns would be the most effective way to fight back.
GORDON
Site Admin

United Airlines

Post by GORDON »

It sucked driving to Yellowstone, instead of.flying. sucked driving to Florida multiple times. Sucked.Driving to NC. Will suck driving to Utah.

Would suck more.pretending to be a compliant citizen getting searched for no reason, setting a great example for my son.

And I know much of the "necessary" business flights could be handled with a day of travel in a rental car, and would likely be cheaper for the company. But nah... It is different when someone else is paying for your air travel, you get to pretend like you're outside the problem.

Airlines pay off the legislators, and then make the fast lanes through security for them to use. Nothing is going to change until people change. Until then I will punish myself by setting a good example.
Vince

United Airlines

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote:Airlines pay off the legislators, and then make the fast lanes through security for them to use. Nothing is going to change until people change. Until then I will punish myself by setting a good example.
Some of the worst rated business by the public. Health insurance, banks, airlines and cable companies. All heavily regulated by the federal government.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren