Gun Control catch all

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Another mass shooting leaves 8 dead.

That's one of those guns you can steer and doesn't need bullets.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Rs actually beat Ds to the punch in turning the Colorado shooting into a political move.

Quoting the whole article here because CNN's "live updates" feature for breaking news is complete ass:
Texas GOP senator Ted Cruz announced he is reintroducing legislation that would implement stronger background checks before purchasing a firearm.

During Cruz's opening remarks on Tuesday for the "Constitutional and Common Sense Steps to Reduce Gun Violence" hearing, he said he has been trying to pass legislation since 2013 that would target "violent criminals," felons, fugitives and "those with serious mental disease to stop them from getting firearms to put them in prison, when they try to illegally buy guns."

​Cruz said the bill did not pass before because of a "shameful filibuster" that was led by Democrats. He said that combatting gun violence should not take guns away from law abiding citizens.

"I would ask Senate Democrats, including some of our newer colleagues who just got here, not to participate again in the shameful filibuster, that this body engaged in in 2013, let's target the bad guys the felons the fugitives those with mental disease. Let's put them in jail, let's stop them from getting guns, let's not scapegoat innocent law-abiding citizens and let's not target their constitutional rights," Cruz said.
"Every year firearms are used in a defensive capacity to defend women, children, families, roughly a million times a year in the United States. And the Democrats who want to take away the guns from those potential victims would create more victims of crimes, not less," Cruz said.

Cruz says he will not apologize for offering "thoughts or prayers" after another act of gun violence happens in the country but agrees that action is needed.
This is also probably going to get brought up again.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Colorado shooter identified: Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa

Sort of relieved it's not some white guy.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:59 am Colorado shooter identified: Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa

Well, now the white people get to blame the Muslims...
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:18 pm
Leisher wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:59 am Colorado shooter identified: Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa

Well, now the white people get to blame the Muslims...
I genuinely thought it was going to be a Trump voter.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Kamala Harris' niece before the Colorado shooters' identity was revealed.

TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

In her defense, she did not explicitly mention the CO shooting :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

I just love how it's openly racist and nobody gives a shit. People are even legit defending it.

Better teach your family to be safe in public spaces because this shit's going to keep happening and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

The whole "white men are the shooters" and "mass shootings are the new normal" narratives become even more bullshit if you look at all the numbers. Let me rephrase that...the anti-gun folks' numbers.

CNN sent out an article this morning talking about how there were 7 mass shootings in the last 7 days.

Wut? There were? Did I sleep through coverage?

Turns out, CNN includes drive by shootings, a shooting at a party, and other such incidents.

That's very interesting, and would dramatically change the "mass shooter profile". Additionally, it begs the question as to why these other shootings don't warrant the same coverage. Is it because those shooters aren't white? Maybe because the victims aren't white? Is it because the shooter and victims' skin color is the same, and thus, "there's no story"? Unconscious bias is real.

By the way, anyone seen the phrase "hate crime" mentioned in the coverage for the Colorado shootings?
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Another grocery store shooter.

He never fired a shot, and I have absolutely no idea WTF he was doing, but there was also a suspicious package found.

Don't expect this story to get a ton of traction though because he's black, and thus, doesn't fit the "mass shooters are white males" narrative.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:53 am Another grocery store shooter.

He never fired a shot, and I have absolutely no idea WTF he was doing, but there was also a suspicious package found.

Don't expect this story to get a ton of traction though because he's black, and thus, doesn't fit the "mass shooters are white males" narrative.
So how did you find out he was black, since that article doesn't mention it at all?
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:00 am
Leisher wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:53 am Another grocery store shooter.

So how did you find out he was black, since that article doesn't mention it at all?
That was actually my first clue. If he was white, it would have been mentioned. So I googled him.

A guy who happened to use the bathroom while Marley was in there is who stopped what could have been another shooting.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

Biden is going after guns...kinda.

Good luck legislating ghost guns.

5 dead in shooting in Rock Hill, SC.

This is the town I stay in when I travel to SC. I'm also hearing a former NFL player was the shooter.

FYI, shooter, if the correct guy was named, is black and the victims are white, including children. Don't hold your breath waiting for hate crime charges.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:46 am Biden is going after guns...kinda.

Good luck legislating ghost guns.
Frequent house searches For The Greater Good should take care of the problem.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by TheCatt »

They do not bans guns.

France 2.33 deaths per 100k residents. Excluding suicide: 0.69

US: 12.21 / 100k; Excluding suicide: 4.90
Leisher
Site Admin

Gun Control catch all

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:17 am They do not bans guns.
Fair, but they do have pretty strict laws, and that hasn't ended gun violence.
TheCatt wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:17 am France 2.33 deaths per 100k residents. Excluding suicide: 0.69

US: 12.21 / 100k; Excluding suicide: 4.90
I always see people comparing the U.S. gun violence rates to other countries, but what is it showing us? That strict gun laws are also ineffective? Or perhaps they prove that people screaming about our culture being the root issue are right?