Today in racism

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

I feel like it could have been taken as the opposite as intended. If he's white, he could be saying "all white people are racist, which means I think my race is the best."

An elegant self-own.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

He thinks everyone is racist, and just won't admit it.
A student off camera asks, “So White is better than all?”

The teacher replies, “Let me finish. I think everybody thinks that. They’re just not honest about it.”

After some other discussion in the video, a student asks, “You said you are a racist, right?”

“I did, yeah, I’m trying to be honest,” the teacher replies.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:42 am He thinks everyone is racist, and just won't admit it.
Is he wrong? All the studies I've seen throughout my life would seem to back him up.

Is everyone secretly a racist who hates other races and goes out of their way to fuck them over? Of course not. That is stupid and simply untrue.

However, can people just prefer to be in the company of people who look like them or simply feel safer is such situations? Can they do this while never doing anything to harm anyone else, realizing they're doing it, or believing themselves to ever be doing something racist? Can people like or trust faces of certain skin tones more than others subconsciously? Yep, this is all scientifically proven to be true.

Where this dude fucked up is in blatantly using the word "racist". That's a trigger word and shouldn't be used in this context. I would have gone with "subconscious prejudices".

Also, the "white is better" stuff...I don't know where he's getting that. I believe we posted a study here once where faces were shown to people and it was to test people's emotional reactions to various skin colors, men, women, and other things like piercings/tattoos. MAYBE, the results had shown a preference towards crackers? I honestly don't remember.

Trying to really give the guy the benefit of the doubt because he doesn't sound like he was being malicious and more so trying to have a discussion, but damn.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

"It's not crazy to think it. It's crazy to say it."
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Colts hiring Jeff Saturday was racist even though per the NFL it conformed to all guidelines.

It must be nice to be able to scream racism at, literally, everything.

That's got to be such an empowering message to black youth: "Everyone hates you because of the color of your skin, including the system you live within. The only way you're accepted in through entertainment or sports and even then they still don't like you."

Meanwhile, Asians don't push a victim mentality and instead push "study and hard work". They're kicking everyone's ass, including whitey.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

Awesome. Let's look at crimes and homelessness figures in those utopias, in a year.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:49 am Awesome. Let's look at crimes and homelessness figures in those utopias, in a year.
I was going to post the same.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

I think Lightfoot has already been proven to be a monumental failure.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:23 pm I think Lightfoot has already been proven to be a monumental failure.
Chicago's still more fun than Toledo :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:36 pm
Leisher wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:23 pm I think Lightfoot has already been proven to be a monumental failure.
Chicago's still more fun than Toledo :)
Depends what you're doing in each.

I'm betting the South Side of Chicago isn't very fun.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Daylight Savings Time is racist.

If there is a God, I hope He pulls the plug on the failed experiment that is humanity.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Disparity is Not Racism

Which, fair, I've agreed with many times. But by the time we're measuring skills (using the Armed Forces Qualification Test - AFQT, which I assume many people here took?), it's too late.

How do you solve a skills gap with the massively unequal school system that America has?
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

If the parents of children in "poor" areas want their kids to learn, they will learn. New iPads won't fix broken homes.

Things need to be done that the country doesn't have the stomach to do..
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:43 pm How do you solve a skills gap with the massively unequal school system that America has?
It's going to get worse when schools are privatized.
GORDON wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:28 pm Things need to be done that the country doesn't have the stomach to do..
Not sure what you're implying, but I will say that the fixes for a lot of our ills would be politically unpopular, and thus, no politician will do them.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

I literally meant you need to take the at-risk kids from the parents who aren't raising them. I can't think of anything else that will work.

Maybe forcing the parents to parent, or else. Physical punishment for mom and biodad if little johnny is truant, or fails a class. At that point, I bet most of these "parents" would just give the kids up voluntarily.

And the country doesn't have the stomach to do what has to be done to fix these kids.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:42 am
TheCatt wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:43 pm How do you solve a skills gap with the massively unequal school system that America has?
It's going to get worse when schools are privatized.
My main takeaway from having a private school kid is that he's surrounded by peers who have parents who WANT them to be there, as opposed to a bunch of hoodlums who are mainly there because it's illegal to not be. I think in 4 years my kid has never said of any serious disciplinary problem he's witnessed.

That's got to be good for his mental development, as opposed to kids who grow up in a hellscape school.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:31 am My main takeaway from having a private school kid is that he's surrounded by peers who have parents who WANT them to be there, as opposed to a bunch of hoodlums who are mainly there because it's illegal to not be. I think in 4 years my kid has never said of any serious disciplinary problem he's witnessed.

That's got to be good for his mental development, as opposed to kids who grow up in a hellscape school.
I went to a hellscape middle school, then to private school. It was a nice change.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

A few years ago my kid was hanging with the chinese kids. They stopped coming over because of covid, now my kid hangs with the serbian kids. He is amused at how racist these various groups are.

It's kinda cool.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

It's almost like the narrative that only white people are racist is complete bullshit. Like all human beings are the same.