Today in racism

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

There are 130 FBS schools. 12.4% of Americans are black. That gives us a 0.003051757% (1/8^5) chance of all 5 of those roles being black at a given university. *130 = 0.396%

my math might be off, it's been a while.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Exactly. It's a cool little achievement to get 100% at one school, but would almost certainly have been intentional rather than natural. That makes it a lot less cool, more racist, and zero percent what diversity is about.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

12 / 130 NCAA FBS teams have black coaches = 9.2% vs 13.4% (not 12.4%, according to google just now) of the population. If this were a random event, there'd be a 5.75% chance of that few black coaches being in FBS schools versus the expected # of 17.

OTOH,
the overall percentage of Black athletic directors rising from 17 percent to 19 percent
which is higher than the population of 13.4%.

Different time period, possibly different population:
Currently, fewer than 16 percent of Division 1 schools (including FCS) have black athletic directors. This lack of representation
Um, wait.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:08 pm 12 / 130 NCAA FBS teams have black coaches = 9.2% vs 13.4% (not 12.4%, according to google just now) of the population.
It will never be the same percentage as the percentage of the population that is black. That's impossible, and a dumb standard to try and uphold:
"MSU is proud to offer you the HC job of our football team Mel."
*phone rings*
"Shit Mel, I've just been told that hiring you would take the percentage of black HC in the FBS to 12.5%, so we cannot offer you the job."

Seriously though, it'll be up and down, but that number should be the goal post.

That's why this:
TheCatt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:08 pm Currently, fewer than 16 percent of Division 1 schools (including FCS) have black athletic directors. This lack of representation
Um, wait.
is fucking ignorant and fuels those people who think the whole diversity movement isn't about diversity or equity, but about taking power.

How many HCs, ADs, and university presidents are Asian? Hispanic? Men vs Women? LGBQT? Handicapped?

The more we divide society into these categories, the more impossible it will be to fairly represent them all.

We need to get to a point where the best people are getting the job, and race/sex/etc. are not being used for or against them.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Unclear if Black or Hispanic.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:16 am Unclear if Black or Hispanic.
Yeah, I think that's why they ran with the "POC".

I'm guessing black based on what was written and why it's a "gotcha" moment, but didn't want to make assumptions.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

When do you think Jordan Peele is going to make a movie about how black people hate asians?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Good thing there was a camera.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

CNN piece on Anti-Asian hate in the U.S.

"White Supremacy" gets mentioned, although they don't mention the ridiculously high number of attacks on Asian people by black people. I wonder why?

Also, they talk about that guy who shot up the two massage parlors...sorry, "spas"...and how he should be charged with a hate crime because "he was clearly targeting Asian women". Listen, the dude is scum and clearly driven by hate, but it wasn't against Asians. It was against women because he is an incel. He went to a place where he knew sexual acts took place for money, sorry if that's a shock to someone, and decided to kill people there out of some misguided hatred for all the women in the world that wouldn't fuck him. It just so happens that many of those places are run by and staffed by Asians. While doing this he also intentionally killed a white man and a white woman. Do their lives have no value because they weren't Asian?

Point being, hate crime laws are fucking stupid and nothing more than a political gesture meant to placate certain voters. They're racist and discriminatory. ALL crime involving a victim is committed through hate, or worse, a complete lack of concern about who you're hurting. Instead of having this arbitrary distinction that can be applied or not applied to a crime and be very divisive, why not just increase the punishments for the crime itself regardless of motive?
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

An actress attacked.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 235113425/

If everyone refuses to acknowledge the race making these attacks, then they have no actual interest in fixing it. Instead.... hmmm. Let's make more movies and TV aimed at black people that tell them that other races are their enemies, so they internalize that it's ok to assault anyone else and call it self defense.

I keep saying, nothing good is going to come from racism aimed at any race.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Home Depot handout to employees. Got to love it when any sort of criticism or defense is pre-shut down. Makes the conversation pretty easy when it can only go one way.

Cakedaddy

Today in racism

Post by Cakedaddy »

While I agree that stuff exists, I don't see the point of the handout. "...see what talents you can share". Huh? The person is defensive. . . Probably because they feel attacked? After this seminar, or reading the handout, what am I supposed to do/change?

I'm a Christian, and enjoy having Christmas and Easter off. Ummm, tell me how to share that 'talent' with you. I'm cis and your not. . . ok, I'll try to be more gay? You are in a wheel chair, and I'm not. Should I be pushing you?

I mean really, what is the point of the handout?!
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:01 pm I mean really, what is the point of the handout?!
To divide us.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

"Stop running so fast, I wanna win the race too and that's not fair, so here wear these ankle weights. Or else."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:20 pm "Stop running so fast, I wanna win the race too and that's not fair, so here wear these ankle weights. Or else."
harrison bergeron
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:35 pm
GORDON wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:20 pm "Stop running so fast, I wanna win the race too and that's not fair, so here wear these ankle weights. Or else."
harrison bergeron
ding
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:41 pm
TheCatt wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:35 pm
harrison bergeron
ding
I hope kids still read that in school today.