Today in racism

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Minority officers suing because they couldn't guard Chauvin.

He's the cop who knelt on George Floyd's neck as he died of a drug overdose.

Got to say, based upon the immediate protests and riots that took place after every racist or perceived racist incident last year, I would say the decision to deny them immediate access has logic to it. There's a reason cops, lawyers, and judges are denied the right to investigate/work/try certain cases. There's a conflict of interest. Why wouldn't that extend to prison guards?

And again, it shouldn't be permanent, but at least a temporary measure until emotions cool. After all, shouldn't the inmate's safety, at least until his trial, be prioritized after their "right" to guard him?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

I don't see it as worth suing over... but I also don't think they should have been barred just due to race.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:54 pm but I also don't think they should have been barred just due to race.
Keep in mind, this is their story. There might be other reasons that we're not privy to like one of them being a problem and/or treating white inmates poorly.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Today in racism

Post by Cakedaddy »

Was watching a talk show about The Boys hosted by Lana from Archer. They were discussing the racism in the show and she made the comment that it's not enough to just not like racism any more. You have to actively fight it. Implying that if you aren't actively fighting it, you are for it. Is this really a thing? How do they justify that reasoning? I don't actively fight against child abuse. Am I for it? I don't actively fight against human sex trafficking. Am I for it? I don't actively fight against really anything. Am I evil? I always just thought I was lazy.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:46 pm I always just thought I was lazy.
Idle hands are the devils workshop
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:46 pm Is this really a thing?
Sadly, yes. It's bullying of the innocent.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Police kill another guy while kneeling on his neck.

The wrinkle here is that he isn't black. Let's see how much coverage it gets and what protests it sparks.

Grand jury says no charges in Daniel Prude's death.

Based on the details given in the article, it genuinely doesn't sound like the cops were at fault in this one. The grand jury agreed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:49 am Dr. Seuss
The examples make sense. The work itself is also just a product of that time period.

This made me chuckle at the article author though:
Mr. Geisel drew political cartoons for a New York-based newspaper, PM, from 1941 to 1943, including some that used harmful stereotypes to caricature Japanese and Japanese-Americans.
Do you think she intentionally omitted any mention of what was happening then or do you think she assumed people would know? Because as it stands, it just makes Mr. Geisel seem racist.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:09 am Do you think she intentionally omitted any mention of what was happening then or do you think she assumed people would know? Because as it stands, it just makes Mr. Geisel seem racist.
I'm going to assume most people know what World War 2 is, but I could be wrong.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:21 am
Leisher wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:09 am Do you think she intentionally omitted any mention of what was happening then or do you think she assumed people would know? Because as it stands, it just makes Mr. Geisel seem racist.
I'm going to assume most people know what World War 2 is, but I could be wrong.
People still think the Earth is flat, Trump won the election, 9/11 was an inside job, and some guy blew himself up over the subterranean lizard people that run the world, so... :D

Also, it's 2021 and we get stories like black guys complaining about having to cast a white guy in a movie.

I mean, can you imagine? Being forced to cast a person with a different skin color just to add diversity to a cast, even if the setting didn't warrant it?

Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

University of Texas' song causing some problems.
The alma mater, which gets played before and after every Longhorns football game, has come under scrutiny in recent years because it was first performed in a 1903 minstrel show that featured blackface performances.
To be fair, they are currently researching the song to see if it's more than just that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

"It's time for you to put the foot down and make it perfectly clear that the heritage of Texas will not be lost," wrote another donor whose name was redacted. "It is sad that it is offending the Blacks. As I said before the Blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."
I read this as "They wouldn't be free if it were up to me, but they are..."
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:59 pm
"It's time for you to put the foot down and make it perfectly clear that the heritage of Texas will not be lost," wrote another donor whose name was redacted. "It is sad that it is offending the Blacks. As I said before the Blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."
I read this as "They wouldn't be free if it were up to me, but they are..."
Ha! So did I. Those letter writers aren't doing their argument any favors.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:22 pm Ha! So did I. Those letter writers aren't doing their argument any favors.
Srsly, just proves the critics right.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

A less than shocking poll shows black and white people are still divided on race.

Here's the most interesting part, imho:
When asked about Floyd's death, 64% of Black people described it as a murder, according to the poll. Among White respondents, 28% described it as murder and 33% said "it was negligence on part of the officer."
Last year, 60% of all respondents described Floyd's death as murder. That number dropped to 36% in the latest poll.
So prior to the autopsy and investigation, most people thought it was murder. (How MSM reporting influenced that is another subject...)

However, after the autopsy and investigation, the majority of respondents changed their opinion, while black people did not.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Georgetown law professor fired for making "racist" comment.

The comment:
“I end up having this angst every semester that a lot of my lower ones are Blacks, happens almost every semester."
First of all, intent is super important...the whole world really needs a lesson in it. Because this reads like a statement made by someone concerned about those black students, not one condemning or mocking them. In fact, it reads like a college professor is concerned about black students doing worse consistently is going to get her labeled as racist.

Side Note: To be fair, she might be a card carrying KKK member, but this story and quote, as presented, doesn't seem maliciously racist. In fact, it seems more like she was treated quite unfairly because of the color of her skin. I wish there was a word to describe that...

Secondly, this shit is gross:
A second professor, David Baston, did not disagree or interject in the video.
Janhvi Bhojwani, the author of this article, is trying to portray Mr. Baston as being complicit, and that's fucked up.

Third, a commenter on Janhvi's twitter post about this story says that law school has blind grading. If that's correct, it makes this story all the more fucked.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Are they true statements? I mean... wtf?
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

As we've pointed out before, sometimes in this new world facts can be racist and/or sexist, and will get you cancelled.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

That Georgetown law story really pisses me off. Until I hear differently, she was fired for stating a fact created by blind grading.

In other news, for some reason racism against Asians in a hot topic right now.

Woman coughs on Uber driver and steals his phone.

He is saying it's race motivated. The article isn't giving us the name or race of the attacker despite racism being mentioned. Interesting.