Today in racism

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Small school fires coach for "racist" tweet.

I'm not seeing the racism. I see stupidity and mocking of a heavy set person, but there's no racism.
Agreed.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Women who assaulted 14 year old black kid about iPhone (that she had left in an Uber) arrested.
Authorities in California have arrested the woman allegedly involved in an incident in which a Black jazz musician said his 14-year-old son was attacked by a woman who falsely accused him of taking her iPhone.

Miya Ponsetto, 22, was arrested Thursday during a traffic stop near her home in Piru, located in Ventura County, the Ventura County Sheriff's Office said in a news release.
Authorities say she was arrested for a "fugitive warrant in connection with a recent assault at a New York City hotel."
She was booked at the Pre-Trial Detention Facility in Ventura and is being held without bail, the sheriff's office said.
Ponsetto was contacted by sheriff's deputies during a traffic stop near her home.
"She did not stop for deputies until she reached her residence, and she refused to get out of the car. Deputies forcibly removed her from the vehicle and arrested her for the outstanding warrant," according to the news release.
Ponsetto's attorney did not immediately respond to The New York Times for comment following the arrest. CNN is reaching out to the attorney, Sharen H. Ghatan.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

So somebody is confused here:
The attorney added that her client is of Puerto Rican and Vietnamese descent and does not identify as White.
The NYPD had identified Ponsetto as White
I guess anything that happens to a black person is ALWAYS racism by a white person even if a white person isn't involved?
The video then shows her on the floor, but it's unclear how she landed there.
Seems like that should be relevant...

Also, was the phone found? The article makes it clear multiple times that she "falsely" accused the son, but I don't see where he was proven to have not taken the phone because it was found elsewhere?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Also, was the phone found?
Yes. I mentioned in my blurb she had left it in an Uber.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Also, was the phone found?
Yes. I mentioned in my blurb she had left it in an Uber.
My bad on that.

Now explain why someone who isn't white can be declared white to make this a national news story.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Now explain why someone who isn't white can be declared white to make this a national news story.
Because she looks white, because Hispanic people typically are white, and because that's what makes news go.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: because that's what makes news go.
That's the only part that matters.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy

Today in racism

Post by Cakedaddy »

We were driving through Petosky, MI this week and drove past a country club estate thing there. Basically an entire neighborhood shuts down for the winter. We've been past it dozens of times over the years and always wondered why they are not allowed be there in the winter. Seemed odd that all these million dollars homes are shuttered through the winter as the residents are barred from being there. Turns out it was like that from the beginning. It's a seasonal estate and it's only supported spring to fall. In googling what the fuck the deal was, I saw an article were the residents were asking the board to allow them to stay past the normal mandated closing date. They didn't want to travel with the pandemic going on and stuff. The board was basically against it for multiple reasons. But one of them was that in order to allow it, they would have to amend the by-laws which requires 2/3 vote, blah, blah, blah. It would be a big deal and it wouldn't be done till some time in 2021 anyway. Plus, in the 100+ years, there's never been an amendment to the by laws. But in researching that, the article's author found out that in 2018, they did remove a decades old clause that removed the rule that all owners had to "be of Christian persuasion".
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

Seems like "just dont lock the gates" would be an easy fix.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

That's pretty typical of Northern "second home" areas. My in-law's cottage is shut down every October. They're still allowed on their property to do whatever, like ice fish, but a lot of the basics are turned off, like water, as that stuff isn't setup to survive the winter like they would be in a more permanent home.

Seems like that cemetery should have just ignored that by-law and I'm not sure claiming ignorance of it is ok. The president of the cemetery (what a title) might take responsibility and want to change it, but the woman working there certainly knew about it and adhered to it. It's 2021. What makes someone like that think they're fine acting that way and it won't become national news?
Cakedaddy

Today in racism

Post by Cakedaddy »

My point to that long drawn out story was my interpretation of their clause that was just removed in 2018. "No Jews allowed".
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:12 pm My point to that long drawn out story was my interpretation of their clause that was just removed in 2018. "No Jews allowed".
Ah, and that actually makes the "no non-whites" thing worse as they should have removed/found it at the same time.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Is Harrison aware of their billboard placement? If not, they're going to be pissed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:01 pm Is Harrison aware of their billboard placement? If not, they're going to be pissed.
Why?
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Because they're under the other one? Or are they related?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:51 pm Because they're under the other one? Or are they related?
I thought the intent was that they were related. They are both on the edge of town. (or were, who knows). The town is about 98% white, apparently.

It's also where this guy held up a Black lives matter sign and got some interesting responses.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

That's why I asked if they were aware. Now it's going to be a punchline I use.