Today in racism

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leash your dogs, idiots. And, cultural appropriation is retarded.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

Corn was created/selectively bred in North America.

A CORN ROW is american culture.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

I've never supported reparations for slavery, but I would support them for the Tulsa + Wilmington race massacres.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Not sure if I agree.

Horrible incidents and something that should never happen again. However...

This makes Tulsa a trickier conversation:
After Rowland was arrested, rumors that stated that he was going to be lynched were spread throughout the city, which had seen a White man named Roy Belton lynched the previous year. Upon hearing reports that a mob of hundreds of White men had gathered around the jail where Rowland was being held, a group of 75 Black men, some of whom were armed, arrived at the jail in order to ensure that Rowland would not be lynched.
In no way, shape, or form does it excuse any of the violence that followed, but does the violence that followed take place without those 75 men going to the jail? Also, this was not "government sanctioned", so it's tough to hold the government responsible. Are we holding the government responsible for all the "peaceful protests" throughout the last few years that left many people dead and businesses destroyed? Keeping in mind that the violence was actually encouraged by certain government officials.

The Wilmington violence has no such "tango", so it's far easier to discuss reparations there. But I still think it's insanely difficult to pull off without drawing comparisons to other racially motivated (or even not racially motivated) violence, against and by every race, not to mention finding the appropriate people to pay and the appropriate amount to pay.

I don't know. I think a better use of our resources and energy would be spent on ensuring this never happens again versus throwing money at people who weren't there. The more time we spend focusing on negative events in our history rather than build towards a better future together, the more I think we're moving away from that possibility.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:48 pm Also, this was not "government sanctioned", so it's tough to hold the government responsible.
What about the hundreds of white men deputized by the city? The 75 men were there to make sure Rowland wasn't lynched. I don't see how that excuses the next day's actions. The men left when the sheriff said things were under control, and then a white man tried to take a gun from a black man, a shot went off, and there we go.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:53 pm I don't see how that excuses the next day's actions.
Leisher wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:48 pm In no way, shape, or form does it excuse any of the violence that followed
I mean...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Racism is everywhere apparently, even in keeping sports equal. :roll:

So not allowing Soul Cap swim caps be worn is racist? Everyone else has to wear suits and caps that adhere to the rules, but not allowing a group of people, based on the color of their skin, to do something against the rules is racist?

Think about that for a minute.

Also, do these politicians understand swimming and how most swimmers shave their bodies completely and have short haircuts specifically for speed in the water?

I also have to admit that I wondered how much money Soul Cap paid these politicians to raise this issue. What swimmer worth a damn wants 10 pounds of hair and rubber on top of their head while trying to win Olympic gold?

It gets even more fun at the end of the article where the race card meets the trans card:
It highlights the case of two 18-year-old cisgender sprinters from Namibia, Christine Mboma and Beatrice Masilingi, who have been banned from the women's 400-meter dash due to their natural testosterone levels being too high for women's sports.
"Mboma and Masilingi are only able to join the Olympics if they agree to take drugs to lower their natural testosterone levels," the letter says.
So we ask transpeople to take these drugs, but we can't ask cisgender women to adhere to the same rule and if we do, it's racism?

Insanity.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Barbie.

[How I assume this will go]

"You forgot Asians!"

(Barbie makes an Asian)

"You can't mock our slanty eyes!"
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Yep, although what did they think was going to happen here? How do you exclude Asians when the games are in Tokyo and the individual gold winner in women's gymnastics was an Asian American?
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

A principal in Atlanta was creating classrooms based on race?

He shouldn't be employed if he was, but allow me to point out that many colleges have "safe spaces" to purposely exclude white people and that is somehow ok.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

The author of said tweet getting ragged.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

Hard to tell, but I think the author of the cookbook tweeted that people should stop the anti-asian hate of this twitter person, and then this twitter person accused her of trying to profit with allying with the asian community.

What a cunt.

I initially thought dumplings = southern cooking.
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

Group of nonpartisan, black-led scholars write open letter condemning CRT.

Usually I put the "news stories" of "older" women showing off their great bodies in the sexism thread. However, this one goes here. Why? Not because of the beautiful woman, but because Yahoo's editors made it racial in the headline. It's implied she said it, but actually it was a single unnamed commenter. Interesting that they highlighted that specific phrase.

As one person in the comments pointed out, what if "White is right" was stuck in the headline for one of the older white women? I don't think it would be brushed off so easily.

Black stripper suing because club didn't need her during her scheduled shift as they already "had enough black girls working".

This is interesting because at face value it sounds racist, but is it? As a strip club owner you do want to present options for as large a percentage of clients as possible. Not everyone is into black women, for example: black men with money. :lol: I kid! I kid! But seriously, shouldn't they provide an even amount of white, Hispanic, Asian, etc. girls IF available?

Although, scheduling so many of one type for one shift IS on the club if the club doesn't want that to happen.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

According to Oceans 13, one can discriminate against women who gain a pound if they are hired as "entertainers," not "waitresses."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:28 pm Although, scheduling so many of one type for one shift IS on the club.
I had a friend who wanted to own a strip club with me years ago. I don't know why I said no. That being said, people should know their shifts before showing up.
GORDON wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:42 pm According to Oceans 13, one can discriminate against women who gain a pound if they are hired as "entertainers," not "waitresses."
I'm not aware of weight being a protected class in federal law.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

Unvaccinated Black people 'biggest group' driving COVID spike: Texas Lt Gov
Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick told Fox News Channel host Laura Ingraham that "African-Americans who have not been vaccinated" are the "the biggest group in most states" driving the spike in COVID-19 cases, during a Thursday interview.

Patrick doubled down on his comment, adding that "over 90% of them vote for Democrats and their major cities and major counties."

"It's up to the Democrats to get -- just as it's up to Republicans to try to get as many people vaccinated," he said. "In terms of criticizing the Republicans for this, we are encouraging people who want to take it to take it, but they are doing nothing for the African-American community that has significant high number of unvaccinated."

NAACP President Derrick Johnson pushed back in a statement: "Lt. Governor Dan Patrick lives in an alternate reality, where facts don’t matter," Johnson said.

"He’s delusional. Black Texans are not the driving force behind the surge of COVID cases in Texas. His statement is not only baseless, it’s racist. Falsely casting blame on the Black community is one of the oldest tricks in the book, and we expect better from an elected official.”
I would like some data for either argument. But, the LT Gov's comment that only Democrats are responsible for black people is insane.
GORDON
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by GORDON »

I see a lot of liberal vitriol about how we should just kill the unvaccinated people because clearly they are subhuman and don't care about living in a polite society.... because the assumption is that these people are mainly religious southern rednecks. I wonder if this new demographic funfact will stop any of that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

In TX, everyone is a problem but Asians.

Whites - 47%, Blacks 38%, Hispanics 45%, Asians 68%
Overall, across these 40 states, the percent of White people who have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose (50%) was roughly 1.3 times higher than the rate for Black people (40%) and 1.1 times higher than the rate for Hispanic people (45%) as of August 16, 2021.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:57 pm In TX, everyone is a problem but Asians.

Whites - 47%, Blacks 38%, Hispanics 45%, Asians 68%
Overall, across these 40 states, the percent of White people who have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose (50%) was roughly 1.3 times higher than the rate for Black people (40%) and 1.1 times higher than the rate for Hispanic people (45%) as of August 16, 2021.
Of course, only 13% of TXans are black. 5% Asian, 79% White (including Hispanic)
Leisher
Site Admin

Today in racism

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:22 pm But, the LT Gov's comment that only Democrats are responsible for black people is insane.
Insane? Yes to a point, which I'll get to, but it is definitely really, really politically stupid. Black people voted for Trump in record numbers during the last election. Sure, it was still a small percentage, but there is a growing subset of black people who are fed up with only getting attention from the Ds once every four years. As Charles Barkley (Gordon, he's a retired black NBA player and not commentator.) famously said (I'm paraphrasing), "You've been voting Democrat for 40 years and nothing has changed. Why do you keep doing it?" Anyway, the point is the Lt Gov's comments further divide his party from black people. It was a stupid thing to say.

That being said, Derrick Johnson doesn't care about facts either because black people are not getting the vaccine in pretty significant numbers. They also do vote D in pretty significant numbers, so I can understand the logical path the Lt Gov was walking, the point he forgets is that his party runs their state. That means its THEIR job, not the Ds. That's the part where I concede his statement has some insanity, but I still think it's mostly just really stupid.

Oh, and here's a fun fact from my company. This came out this week:
Percentage of people vaccinated at HQ - 52% (Mostly white urbanites and mostly blue collar, but I've seen no Trump or Biden stuff so I don't know most people's politics. Although, I do know for a fact that one of the black women here voted Trump.)
Percentage of remote workers vaccinated - 65% (All white men between 40-70, with two exceptions, both women, one white, one Asian.)
Percentage of people vaccinated at our southern plant - 20% (The vast majority being black men. There are two women on site, one white and one black. There are maybe two people I could see voting for Trump, both white and one is the woman.)

These numbers are why we are now required to mask up in the offices again.