Uber/Lyft

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Uber/Lyft

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Well, turns out that data was from 2017, so it may not have been updated for when uber added more tipping options to the app
Honestly, I'd bet that had a LOT to do with those numbers.
Yes I do t thi k I tipped back then either, since it would have had to deal with nvolve cash
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Uber/Lyft

Post by Cakedaddy »

You should ALWAYS tip in cash. No matter who you are tipping. I pay with CC but leave cash. Tipping 15% in cash is better than 20% on CC.
Leisher
Site Admin

Uber/Lyft

Post by Leisher »

The problem with that is I never carry cash.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Uber/Lyft

Post by Cakedaddy »

I always try to carry some cash so I can tip if the need arises.
Leisher
Site Admin

Uber/Lyft

Post by Leisher »

Can we talk about what bullshit it is that automated tip options are now 15%, 20%, and 25%?

It's most infuriating when you order a pizza. What am I tipping? The service that I haven't received yet? Am I a psychic? Now I have to worry that if I don't tip enough, I'll get shit service.

When did tips go from 10-15% to 15-25%?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Uber/Lyft

Post by Cakedaddy »

I always say "No, will have cash when they get here".
TheCatt
Site Admin

Uber/Lyft

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: When did tips go from 10-15% to 15-25%?
Yeah, tipping has gotten out of hand... but that's what my grandfather thought about tipping when I was younger too, so I guess it just keeps going.
Cakedaddy wrote: ou should ALWAYS tip in cash. No matter who you are tipping. I pay with CC but leave cash. Tipping 15% in cash is better than 20% on CC.
CC fees are only ~3% + $0.25 flat. So that math depends on the amount of the tip. Unless they are not reporting cash tips, which is a different issue.

I try to tip in cash, but for Uber, etc, I need the tip tied to a receipt I can turn in, since I pretty much only Uber for work.
Vince

Uber/Lyft

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote:Unless they are not reporting cash tips, which is a different issue.
That's why I tip cash.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Uber/Lyft

Post by GORDON »

I offered to pay my septic tank replacement guy with "And we can walk across the street to the bank if you'd rather be paid in cash, wink wink." He chuckled and said a check was fine.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Uber/Lyft

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Can we talk about what bullshit it is that automated tip options are now 15%, 20%, and 25%?

It's most infuriating when you order a pizza. What am I tipping? The service that I haven't received yet? Am I a psychic? Now I have to worry that if I don't tip enough, I'll get shit service.

When did tips go from 10-15% to 15-25%?
My ancedotal evidence on delivery fees up front:

We mostly use Doordash for food deliveries, 9/10 it's Chipotle. The default tip for Doordash is 15%, which the driver can see ahead of time. This will get you a normal service, delivery usually ok.

But if you bump it to 20% you almost always get a motivated driver who snaps up your order. Always on time, usually early. Speed walks it to your door ASAP so he can hustle on and get the next order in. Carry on, motivated delivery guy.
Cakedaddy

Uber/Lyft

Post by Cakedaddy »

TheCatt wrote: Unless they are not reporting cash tips
They don't, which is why cash is king. Even for write off purposes, I tip cash. They need the money more than me. That few dollars isn't going to make a difference for me.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Uber/Lyft

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Well, turns out that data was from 2017, so it may not have been updated for when uber added more tipping options to the app
Honestly, I'd bet that had a LOT to do with those numbers.
The study was done in September 2017 two months after tipping was added (July 2017). So I find it odd that the numbers are so low, and we can feel superior again.

Article on the uber tipping study
Leisher
Site Admin

Uber/Lyft

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Uber/Lyft

Post by Leisher »

Uber pledges to go all electric 3 months after Lyft made the same pledge.

It's an interesting promise made by two companies who don't own their fleet of cars...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Uber/Lyft

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Uber pledges to go all electric 3 months after Lyft made the same pledge.

It's an interesting promise made by two companies who don't own their fleet of cars...
"By 2030".... that's a lot of time.
Leisher
Site Admin

Uber/Lyft

Post by Leisher »

It's a LOT of time, but they still need to force their drivers to buy new cars. Additionally, they need to do so in a country that doesn't really have a ton of infrastructure for those cars yet.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Uber/Lyft

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: It's a LOT of time, but they still need to force their drivers to buy new cars. Additionally, they need to do so in a country that doesn't really have a ton of infrastructure for those cars yet.
They are probably counting on self-driving cars by then as well.
Leisher
Site Admin

Uber/Lyft

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Uber/Lyft

Post by Leisher »

CA voters gave Uber a big win.

Seems to fuck over the workers though?
Leisher
Site Admin

Uber/Lyft

Post by Leisher »

Uber betting on booze delivery.

That will be the worst job on the planet.