Home fitness (fitness entire pizza in my mouf)

You probably can't do it, so don't even try.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: In related news, you can no longer use rewards to buy gift cards at Best Buy. My work buys me everything I need, so unless I need a TV, I have nothing to spend my points on, so...
Sent you a PM
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: In related news, you can no longer use rewards to buy gift cards at Best Buy. My work buys me everything I need, so unless I need a TV, I have nothing to spend my points on, so...
Sent you a PM
Or, I thought I did? Did you get one? I do t see it in my sent
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I replied.

I'm also thisclose to ordering the hydrow.

End of the day...it's free...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I replied.

I'm also thisclose to ordering the hydrow.

End of the day...it's free...
Hydrow does look cool. Never used one though.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I know I'm going that route, but Best Buy just pulled the $200/off from my account. The claim is it expired. I'm guessing it's some tactic to try and encourage purchases. I want it back before I buy. I also found out this was $1199 during Black Friday, which irritates me. Wish I had a time machine.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote: I asked that manager when I bought the 15 SBs how that affected his store and he said they wouldn't need to show up for two months if they didn't want to.
Little did they know...
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

We have a Concept 2 model E. It's the only rower I've ever used, so no idea how it would compare to any others. It was highly reviewed, etc. Wife picked it out and uses it more than I do. When I use it, I find it boring and not really a workout. Unless, I'm playing the fishing game on it. It's not long before I realize I'm sweating, out of breath, and muscles are burning. It seems that once I get a rhythm going, it's easy to maintain it. Like the resistance is way too low. But with the fishing game (you move a hook up and down to catch fish swimming by at different depths) you have to slow way down, almost stop to let the hook sink to catch a low one, then row like mad to get the hook back up to catch the higher fish, etc. So a constant change in pace makes a big difference. Rowing to burn calories, is boring and monotonous. Quick search shows them at $1100, I think we paid $1400 about 3-4 years ago. Very solid, seat glides very well, no signs of wear (and yes, it does get used!). It seems like a good enough machine. I'm just not a row fan. I've been doing stuff with dumbbells for a work out and prefer an upright bike for cardio.

I'd like to get a good upright bike trainer. Right now, I'm using my road bike on a stationary trainer. I like it, because I'm riding my actual bike. I don't like that its VERY LOUD at cruising speed. I like the fluid resistance. It gets VERY hot, but I would say the resistance increases as it gets hotter, which makes it hotter which increased resistance. It simulates a constant uphill climb, which I don't mind. I'm doing it for endurance and muscle building. And on longer rides (25+ miles), my legs end up in a constant state of burn anyways, so this simulates that the entire 30 minutes instead of after 2+ hours of a long ride. Really, my only complaint, and reason I'm looking for an upright bike is the noise. I'm also concerned that if the chamber ever sprung a leak/exploded due to pressure, I'd end up with 3rd degree burns from the water. Yes, it gets that hot. The heat sinks on the chamber would scald if you left your hand on them. I can only imagine the temp of the water.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I've heard about the Concept series. I'll have to research them a bit.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Believe it or not, this is getting good reviews across the board.

Yes, there are cheaper versions of the board itself, but this same company tried this once before with a $300 model. I guess they learned their lesson and now they seem to be a hot item.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Believe it or not, this is getting good reviews across the board.

Yes, there are cheaper versions of the board itself, but this same company tried this once before with a $300 model. I guess they learned their lesson and now they seem to be a hot item.
Let me know when you get one.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I think I'm going to...

Video games + exercise seems like a match made in heaven for me. Back when I used Wii Fit, I dropped 30 pounds in 30 days.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Meh. I'm paying more attention to the game than I am to what I'm doing leading to improper form and possible injury. And lets face it. You're doing planks. You can only play this game for about 45-120 seconds. Then you are on your knees leaning over it so you can complete the current level.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Thanks Mr. Positivity!

Actually, several reviewers had the experience that they were able to plank longer than normal because they weren't focusing on the plank, the strain, the pain, etc.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: they weren't focusing on the plank
RIGHT!?! But I get the distraction affect. But still, how long can you plank now, and how much longer will it be with a distraction?

It happens to me on my stationary bike watching TV. Something intense starts happening on the TV and at the end of the scene, I realize I've been coasting and not even breathing hard any more.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: It happens to me on my stationary bike watching TV. Something intense starts happening on the TV and at the end of the scene, I realize I've been coasting and not even breathing hard any more.
Mine's the opposite. Something intense happens, and my intensity goes way up. Action movies/etc are the best for me on my trainer.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: But still, how long can you plank now, and how much longer will it be with a distraction?
Read the reviews done by actual fitness people.

I'm guessing there's a learning curve to the balancing on something other than the floor/mat. However, the games are apparently designed to keep you in the proper stance/form, so there's that.

And I like the "time" aspect of "I need one more for a high score" as that can help one push past the pain to get more gain.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
Cakedaddy wrote: It happens to me on my stationary bike watching TV. Something intense starts happening on the TV and at the end of the scene, I realize I've been coasting and not even breathing hard any more.
Mine's the opposite. Something intense happens, and my intensity goes way up. Action movies/etc are the best for me on my trainer.
My best bike ride ever was watching Straight Outta Compton. The Fast + Furious movies were good for it, too.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I ordered it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Got back on my bike in May, doing small rides (indoors, virtual). Been having a bunch of injury issues each time I try to get back on the bike.

Worked up to 3 1 hour week rides. Far cry from where I used to be, 7-10 hours a week, but so far that level is working OK without more injuries/pain.

Doesn't really help with the weight side of things, but moving >> not moving.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Hard thighs > soft marshmallow thighs.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."