Swimming

You probably can't do it, so don't even try.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: Well that doesn't help me at all.

I was eyeballing this one today:

Started using it October 1, 2016.... February 21st 2017, it stopped charging.

Just bought another identical one, because it is still one of the less expensive ones out there.... but this time i also bought the 3 year warranty. I guarantee I am going to use it.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

Purchase includes (1) SYRYN Waterproof MP3 player /1-yr Warranty, and (1) Swimbuds waterproof short cord earbuds with 1 m extension cable and multiple sizes of earbud tips / 90 day warranty.
Implies a 1 yr warranty on the player.

Also, if you bought with a credit card, it may already double your warranty for you.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

It may have the warranty NOW... when I go into order history and look at what I bought, no built-in warranty, then.

Didn't even think about the credit card warranty. Used the Amazon Visa, more than likely... how do I contest something?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

Weird. I dunno, check your credit card terms, it varies by card.

Also, leave a 1 star review. I did that for some headphones, and they sent me a new, upgraded set
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

Speaking of swimming, cleared for light no lap swimming.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote:
GORDON wrote: Well that doesn't help me at all.

I was eyeballing this one today:

Started using it October 1, 2016.... February 21st 2017, it stopped charging.

Just bought another identical one, because it is still one of the less expensive ones out there.... but this time i also bought the 3 year warranty. I guarantee I am going to use it.
I left them on the charger for no particular reason while waiting for the new ones to arrive.

At some point they charged.

I did all my IT troubleshooting mojo shit for a couple days, trying to get them to charge... so I dunno. Oh well, the new ones are here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

The last 2 or 3 weeks I have just been chillin, doing my laps twice a week, rackin gup the miles. Not really killin gmyself, just working on some element of form, each day.... one day spending the hour concentrating on keeping my head down. Another day, concentrating on kicking harder. Another day, stretching out my arms as far as I can, making sure to apply power through the entire stroke.

I am still doing 2900-3000 yards each time I swim, but my numbers have sort of sucked.... slower 100y averages, higher number of strokes.

Today I focused on my rolling side-to-side, really trying to exaggerate the motion.

My average-strokes-per length dropped down to 12, and SWOLF to 43, all-time lows, by 1. I guess rolling is pretty important for reducing drag. I wasn't applying extra power, and I wasn't breathing hard at the end of the hour, I was just making sure my shoulders, especially the left, the side I don't breath from, was up out of the water at the appropriate time.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
My average-strokes-per length dropped down to 12, and SWOLF to 43, all-time lows, by 1. I guess rolling is pretty important for reducing drag. I wasn't applying extra power, and I wasn't breathing hard at the end of the hour, I was just making sure my shoulders, especially the left, the side I don't breath from, was up out of the water at the appropriate time.
Much improved from 51! Yeah, rolling decreases drag a lot.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

The significant thing was just making that one change made me.significantly more efficient in the water. I have been trying to not count strokes and stuff, being OCD makes.me weary. So when that stroke count was like 15% improved with no extra effort, I was like damn.
Malcolm

Swimming

Post by Malcolm »

Just a reminder: if you swim in public pools, you're swimming in a toilet.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

Oh, it was funny...

Did my full hour this morning, went nice and easy for the first 15, then turned up the power for the next 45. Sometimes I would daydream and catch myself going slow and easy... you can see those laps on the Garmin Swim breakdown... suddenly my stroke count jumps by 4.

But the last 10 minutes I went hard, already pretty fatigued, and I had a minute to go... which meant one more lap.... but my fingertips were starting to get tingly so I figured maybe I had done enough. That was new.

But I like I am to the point I got to back when I was a runner. "To rest" meant to run slower. I am there now, with swimming. I feel like I could swim all day without stopping, with an easy pace. I'd be curious to test that someday.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

Nice.

In the Bahamas I went snorkeling two days in a row. First day swam just over 1.5 miles (only one armed, but with fins). Next day we swam at least 2 miles, unsure of total distance. Right arm was sore after 2nd day. So were feet. But if felt good to get back moving in the water.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

I've been given the green-light to practice swimming moves on land. Which feels really weird.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

Had some new dude try to race me today, I was just doing my medium-hard "can sustain this for an hour" pace. He started sprinting against me, and I had to kick it up to my max "I can probably sustain this for the next 15 minutes" pace, and I was surprised when he kept up for four full laps, right next to me. He was doing regular turns where he gets to stop and take a couple good breaths while I was doing flip-turns where I have to HOLD my breath, but still.... that was the best anyone over 25 has done against me in a long time.

He looked about 28. Shaved head and big red hipster beard. I dunno.

The side effect is that my swim numbers were great today, and you can see the point right in the middle of my hour when my 100yard times were sub-2 minutes.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by TheCatt »

Nice! Did you ever start doing sprints or anything else to improve your speed?
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

No.... and I know I should, but right now I am just in a "swim for an hour" mode since I have to hit 100 miles in 2017 to accomplish that challenge I signed up for. It's fine.... I'm not really in a MUST GET FASTER mindset right now. I'll just keep my pace at "just make sure I can feel it" and my numbers will take care of themselves.
Troy

Swimming

Post by Troy »

Damn, you've been crushing it. Things slowing down for me today. Hopefully can check the Scuba thread out properly.
Last edited by Troy on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

I think I might be pretty good... for a 45 year old who just started swimming 2 years ago. I'll race anyone in that set of people.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

The Y is having an open swim competition.... the longest race is a 200, 4 laps.... the longer distances being where my strength would be, I think. I easily could swim full fucking power for 4 laps. I am tempted.... but only if there is some breakdown by age, heh. No way I'd win against even a high school swim team kid. $10 to race and $5 per event.
GORDON
Site Admin

Swimming

Post by GORDON »

1. I went to sign up for the swim meet.... And missed the cut off by a day. Brilliant subconcious avoidance.

2. Just cut off today's swim early... Severe diarrhea cramps. Only swam a mile. Happy Tuesday.