Dirt biking

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Cakedaddy

Dirt biking

Post by Cakedaddy »

Was going to post in the "car" thread because the bike was talked about there, but didn't want to derail it.

Finally had a proper wipe-out yesterday. Was having a really good ride as the weather was nice and it rained the night before making the sand areas more manageable. On an easier section of the loop, I'm cruising along when all of the sudden, I'm airborne. Never saw it coming. Fist thought was "What the fuck?!" Second thought "I hope I don't hit a tree." Third thought "When am I going to land" Then the landing came. Did a half somersault to land on my lower back. Fourth thought "Oh shit. This is permanent". Took about 10 minutes, but I was able to stand up off my hands and knees. Another 10 minutes before attempting to pick up my bike. Started heading out of the woods towards the nearest flat road. An hour and a half later, I'm back at the trailhead. Got the bike up into the truck, but got help from another rider to strap it down. Started the drive home and started the call to my wife: "I'm ok. I'm in the truck heading home, but I gotta go to ER". Can you scope out the hospitals? She does, and when I get back to the house, we head to Petosky. After a 1.5 hour wait, I finally see a doctor who orders an CT scan and some X-Rays. Next morning I get an MRI.

End result: Multiple rib fractures and a compression fracture of my L-1 vertebrae. Luckily, no surgery needed. Just in a back brace for the next 6-8 weeks.

My examination of the accident revealed a rock about the size of a softball in the middle of the trail. All I can figure is that it shifted my front tire left, and then my rear tire right enough that the bike wanted to make an immediate left turn. I think the front tire then clipped a tree which stopped the bike entirely, sending me on my merry way. I'd say I was about 10-15 from the bike when I landed. I'm estimating that I was only going about 15MPH. I very much wish I'd had my 360 camera running at the time.
image26358.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GORDON
Site Admin

Dirt biking

Post by GORDON »

Damn.

Will this make you quit?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Dirt biking

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:48 am Multiple rib fractures and a compression fracture of my L-1 vertebrae.
Ouch. Good luck on the recovery.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Dirt biking

Post by Cakedaddy »

It would not make me quit. But my wife might!

Would you quit feeding sharks if one bit you?

I get too much out of riding to give it up.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Dirt biking

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:27 pm Would you quit feeding sharks if one bit you?
That's probably a kink of his.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Dirt biking

Post by GORDON »

Bite me.... again?

I remember expressing concern a decade ago, when you took up dirt biking. I said something like, "Do you think you bounce as well at 45 as you did at 20?"

That being said, fuck all that, have fun. A long time philosophy of mine has been, "If you gotta go, leave a crater."
GORDON
Site Admin

Dirt biking

Post by GORDON »

But it might kind of suck being paralyzed at your neck and have to play league of legends with a bendy-straw.
Leisher
Site Admin

Dirt biking

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:29 pm
Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:27 pm Would you quit feeding sharks if one bit you?
That's probably a kink of his.
I laughed.

Get well soon Cake. I've got a very small wiring job whenever you're back in town.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”