Running

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

Running

Post by Leisher »

People who run for fun are dumb. :D

However, I'm posting this as a bookmark for this story: Controversial Nike shoes on sale soon.

I've got flat feet and plantar faci-whatever. (Although my plantar isn't bad.) That much cushion might make those shoes perfect for me.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Running

Post by GORDON »

I think I see what makes it controversial. If they made the soles 10 feet thick, then you could do super strides 20 feet long.

I used to be a good runner, back before my shit fell apart. Wish I still could... gets harder to keep the weight off every year.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Running

Post by TheCatt »

"But the point is we don't know with absolute certainty. Running, especially marathon running, is supposed to be the purest thing humans put themselves through. It's just about feet, legs, lungs, heart and brain. These shoes create the same problems that doping throws up."
So... we shouldn't let people wear shoes? Or, clothes?

I wear Hoka's and love their cushioning.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Running

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: If they made the soles 10 feet thick, then you could do super strides 20 feet long.
I wonder how well that would really work. I've never seen a person on stilts run.
GORDON
Site Admin

Running

Post by GORDON »

In the movie The Dark Crystal, the "Striders" are actual peeps with long stilts on their arms and legs, running around. That's what makes me think of it.

I'd like the cushioning too... regular peeps (non-Kenyans) need to worry about impact injuries on their ankles and knees. But I see the point of the marathon-judges having a maximum sole thickness, for competitors.
Leisher
Site Admin

Running

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
"But the point is we don't know with absolute certainty. Running, especially marathon running, is supposed to be the purest thing humans put themselves through. It's just about feet, legs, lungs, heart and brain. These shoes create the same problems that doping throws up."
So... we shouldn't let people wear shoes? Or, clothes?

I wear Hoka's and love their cushioning.
How much thicker are they than say, Nikes?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Running

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: How much thicker are they than say, Nikes?
Like double. They started the maximalist trend.
GORDON
Site Admin

Running

Post by GORDON »

Imagine having just an 18 inch set of bouncy thingies, like Chelle in Portal. You'd run way faster than normal.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Running

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Imagine having just an 18 inch set of bouncy thingies, like Chelle in Portal. You'd run way faster than normal.
Bouncy is different than tall.
GORDON
Site Admin

Running

Post by GORDON »

So these new shoes are hard soles with no bounce? Thought I saw something about a spring.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Running

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: So these new shoes are hard soles with no bounce? Thought I saw something about a spring.
There's a carbon fiber plate that makes running a tiny bit more efficient.
GORDON
Site Admin

Running

Post by GORDON »

In a review of a range of leading running shoes, World Athletics recently approved Nike's Vaporfly range, but banned any shoes with soles thicker than 40mm or with more than one plate to enhance their spring.
Ah, that's where I saw the word "spring."

These shoes helped the dude break the marathon record time by 12.5%. I'd call that more than a "tiny bit more efficient," but that's just my opinion.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Running

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
In a review of a range of leading running shoes, World Athletics recently approved Nike's Vaporfly range, but banned any shoes with soles thicker than 40mm or with more than one plate to enhance their spring.
Ah, that's where I saw the word "spring."

These shoes helped the dude break the marathon record time by 12.5%. I'd call that more than a "tiny bit more efficient," but that's just my opinion.
I don't know where you got 12.5% from. The world record in 2013 was 2:03:23 and 2:01:39 in 2018. Using pacemakers, and having people deliver him hydration, he managed 1:59:40 with the shoes. That's like 1.5% better.
GORDON
Site Admin

Running

Post by GORDON »

Long distance times have tumbled since Nike's Vaporfly range was introduced in 2016, including Brigid Kosgei's 2:14:04 marathon in Chicago last year, knocking over a minute off Paula Radcliffe's previous record that had stood for 16 years.
Are those not the world record numbers?
GORDON
Site Admin

Running

Post by GORDON »

I guess it says a little bit more toward the bottom:
According to a 2017 study in the journal Sports Medicine, Nike's Vaporfly shoes provide a 4% boost in running economy -- the amount of work a runner must do at a given speed -- compared with other top racing models.
4% is still more than a tiny bit. It's almost 5 whole percent.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Running

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
Long distance times have tumbled since Nike's Vaporfly range was introduced in 2016, including Brigid Kosgei's 2:14:04 marathon in Chicago last year, knocking over a minute off Paula Radcliffe's previous record that had stood for 16 years.
You're comparing the women's record and the men's record. The women's fell 1 minute, the men's record fell 2 (although, under artificial circumstances). So you're talking about 1%
TheCatt
Site Admin

Running

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: 4% is still more than a tiny bit. It's almost 5 whole percent.
Basketball has basketball shoes, short distance track has spikey shoes, soccer has soccer shoes... I mean, are all of those cheating, too?
GORDON
Site Admin

Running

Post by GORDON »

I'd say if any of those shoes exceed the established rules, then certainly.
GORDON
Site Admin

Running

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote:
You're comparing the women's record and the men's record. The women's fell 1 minute, the men's record fell 2 (although, under artificial circumstances). So you're talking about 1%
Ah, i see.

I guess I just don't see gender.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Running

Post by TheCatt »

guess I just don't see gender
Latest attempt to keep us from calling you gay?