XFL

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

XFL

Post by Leisher »

I will root for the DC team with you. Apparently they have the most Buckeyes.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

XFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I will root for the DC team with you. Apparently they have the most Buckeyes.
They have 1 Tar Heel... which might be all there is :)
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

XFL

Post by TheCatt »

Pay sucks
The XFL informed agents a week before its Oct. 15-16 draft that non-quarterbacks would receive $2,080 every two weeks they are under contract, for a max base salary of $27,040 for the season. There are $1,685 bonuses for being on an active game-day roster and another $2,222 for players on the winning team. A player who is active for all 10 games and is on a team that goes 5-5 would earn $55,000 for the season.
TheCatt
Site Admin

XFL

Post by TheCatt »

Meanwhile, QBs can make up to $500k
Leisher
Site Admin

XFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Pay sucks
The XFL informed agents a week before its Oct. 15-16 draft that non-quarterbacks would receive $2,080 every two weeks they are under contract, for a max base salary of $27,040 for the season. There are $1,685 bonuses for being on an active game-day roster and another $2,222 for players on the winning team. A player who is active for all 10 games and is on a team that goes 5-5 would earn $55,000 for the season.
It's a fledgling league whose season is two months long. Looks like 6-7 games is all a team not making the "playoffs" will play. Additionally, this is a televised job interview for NFL teams.

I think $55K for two months work AND a nationally televised showcase for NFL scouts is fair.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

XFL

Post by TheCatt »

True. I was just reading rom an article where one player already quit over the pay. I guess the risk is not being active, and depends on. What expenses the league is paying for during the season for travel, etc
Leisher
Site Admin

XFL

Post by Leisher »

Significant rule differences.

My first thoughts were some of these are ok, but as far as the ball placement stuff goes, why don't they just eliminate defenses since it seems like they just want scoring.
TheCatt
Site Admin

XFL

Post by TheCatt »

They thought there is too much idle time.
Part of me agrees, but the rest of me doesn't want to become the Arena FL or the NBA.
Leisher
Site Admin

XFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
They thought there is too much idle time.
Part of me agrees, but the rest of me doesn't want to become the Arena FL or the NBA.
That was exactly the same thought I had.

There's an interesting discussion in there about how sports have mirrored our short attention spans and entitled/snowflake youth, but I'm too busy today to dig into it.
Leisher
Site Admin

XFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

XFL

Post by TheCatt »

Would sure up your fake FG game for a team
Leisher
Site Admin

XFL

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

XFL

Post by Leisher »

Reminder: The XFL kicks off this weekend!

Embracing gambling.

Bringing fans deeper into the game.
ABC/ESPN and Fox will have access to the coach-player communication systems and can go live with the audio at any time. They will also be able to go into the replay booth as plays are being reviewed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

XFL

Post by TheCatt »

I setup my DVR to record it... but I'll be out of town, we'll see.
Leisher
Site Admin

XFL

Post by Leisher »

I'm not hating it.

Some of the stuff I could do without, but some I'll bet the NFL steals.
Leisher
Site Admin

XFL

Post by Leisher »

Holy Shit! That's Jerry Glanville!
TheCatt
Site Admin

XFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Holy Shit! That's Jerry Glanville!
Oh man, Houston Oilers guy?
Leisher
Site Admin

XFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: Holy Shit! That's Jerry Glanville!
Oh man, Houston Oilers guy?
And Atlanta Falcons.
TheCatt
Site Admin

XFL

Post by TheCatt »

I watched the DC game. It was alright, dog. The changes weren't very radical. The 3 different extra point varieties felt gimmicky. The kickoff was a little odd with the weird short kick rule (would hate to be a kicker going into a windy day)
Leisher
Site Admin

XFL

Post by Leisher »

I pretty much felt the same. I watched parts of all four games. I will again next weekend too.

3.3M viewers for that first game on ABC. That's good! It's more than the AAF. Hopefully it holds a lot of those viewers.

It helps that they have a ton of star power out there. Lots of NFL players were at games and tweeting about watching.

One interesting player is a CB for...TB maybe? He was DQed his final season in the Big12 due to grades, so he came to play in the XFL to get exposure before the NFL draft. That is really smart.

If the XFL stays in their own niche, I could see the NFL getting on board and supporting them. They could become like a minor league system for the NFL, and a potential option for kids who can't do college.

I LOVED the replay stuff. Had that system been in place throughout football, OSU would have played LSU for the championship this year. :D