Scuba Diving

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:20 pm Good :)

I was looking at it or something similar to do with my kids one day
GORDON wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:51 am Just made hotel reservations... for his Christmas present, I'm taking my son scuba diving in the Georgia Aquarium, on December 23.

With the Whale Sharks. :-D

https://www.georgiaaquarium.org/experie ... ale-sharks
We are looking to do this in July 2021. Going to get a scuba refresh and then do this as our dive. Looks awesome.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

It's pricey, compared to similar things. But it's an amazing thing to say you did.

We were diving in Florida in March, and my kid was wearing his "I dove the GA Aquarium" shirt on the charter. A girl came up and asked about it, her family had done it too. It's a conversation starter.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:09 pm It's pricey, compared to similar things. But it's an amazing thing to say you did.

We were diving in Florida in March, and my kid was wearing his "I dove the GA Aquarium" shirt on the charter. A girl came up and asked about it, her family had done it too. It's a conversation starter.
Guess I'll have to get the shirt, then, too!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:09 pm It's pricey, compared to similar things. But it's an amazing thing to say you did.

Booked! We're doing the Porsche Driving Experience two days later, should be a good week.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

"World of Coke" is right next to the aquarium.... some people are amused by that sort of thing.

What's kind of cheap about the GA Aquarium is that you just bought several diving tickets for $300+ each, and you'll still also have to pay an entrance fee to get in.

BUT... if you have any others in your party who are going to just watch, they'll get VIP treatment too, moved though the crowds to the good viewing areas to watch the divers go by.

They were very good about setting up our gear. Give them accurate height and weight for each person, and they had nailed the wetsuit sizes and added weights for buoyancy. It's concierge diving.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:20 pm What's kind of cheap about the GA Aquarium is that you just bought several diving tickets for $300+ each, and you'll still also have to pay an entrance fee to get in.
Yeah, seems a little ridiculous.
GORDON wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:20 pm BUT... if you have any others in your party who are going to just watch, they'll get VIP treatment too, moved though the crowds to the good viewing areas to watch the divers go by.
Just us.
GORDON wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:20 pm They were very good about setting up our gear. Give them accurate height and weight for each person, and they had nailed the wetsuit sizes and added weights for buoyancy.
I'm hoping to drop some more weight prior to the visit, so we'll see. Hopefully I can.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Then you get out and two people will immediately be on you, taking off your gear. It's very nice.

Don't be the goober who "everyone stop, my mask wont seal" or whatever. I'm always surprised when in every group there's at least one who doesn't even match the skill my kid had at 11. At least on our GA Aquarium dive, that goober meant we had an extra 10 minutes of bottom time watching the giant sharks swim around us.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

So... I should be that goober to go be everyone more time?
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

That time, it worked out. One time on a charter the dive master assigned a Singleton to me and Will, that we didn't know. He ruined our dive with his shittiness.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:14 pm That time, it worked out. One time on a charter the dive master assigned a Singleton to me and Will, that we didn't know. He ruined our dive with his shittiness.
Boo. Never had that issue on a dive, but I've been fewer than 10 times.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

We didn't get to see the "grouper the size of a Volkswagen" because he couldn't get his mask to clear.

Will still remembers his name
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Dove in the Atlantic without a wetsuit, today. Water temp about 80F. Very comfortable.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:30 pm Dove in the Atlantic without a wetsuit, today. Water temp about 80F. Very comfortable.
Nice.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

I've been spending as much time with my kid as I can before he grows up and goes away, so another dive trip to the Keys a couple weeks ago. And after 40-ish dives in salt water, I FINALLY saw turtles. Like, 6 of them, on our night dive. So very cool.
20210605_205600A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:29 am And after 40-ish dives in salt water, I FINALLY saw turtles. Like, 6 of them, on our night dive. So very cool.
Let's dive the USVI. You can practically hump the turtles.

Pretty sure I'm not banned any more.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

After you left, were they then known as, "The Islands?"
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

Did the refresher. C has lots of issues with equalization in her ears. I have a muscle I can just open up my tubes and they equalize, no yawning/nose/whatever. Apparently very few people have that.

It was fun to be diving again, even if just in a pool. Excited for going to the aquarium in 3 weeks. Then, hopefully more trips.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

IIRC, max depth in GA will be about 30 feet. My dive log is about 15 feet away from me, if I were less lazy I would verify.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:38 pm IIRC, max depth in GA will be about 30 feet. My dive log is about 15 feet away from me, if I were less lazy I would verify.
Do you use a dive computer? Do you manually log? I dont think C + I have logs any more.
GORDON
Site Admin

Scuba Diving

Post by GORDON »

Yes, we were allowed our own masks, and dive computers. But my DC is low-end, so I manually log the readings into a book after I dive.