NFL

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:54 pm
Leisher wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:33 pm Now it'll be a fight between networks to win his services. I don't know if he has the personality to be a Romo, but I'm sure someone will try to get him into a studio.
!RmindMe 9/15/2022

I'm saying no Brady in an announcer booth or pregame show. I think he's going to sell his poop to his stupid fans.
Well Brady is definitely going to sell something to his fans for 2022.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:15 pm i saw this Blitzburgh tweet myself
Holy shit, I think that's where I saw that. Ha!

And yes, it's fucking gross that teams didn't talk to any of the women. I'm sure Cleveland's female fan base has to be pretty pissed off.
Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:15 pm Yep, but this was universally applauded by all the NFL players as this will set the precedent going forward.
Of course they did. It helps their market, but in this case I agree with the teams. Cleveland way overpaid to get him to come there. I totally get it from Cleveland's perspective, but it does set a terrible precedent because he's not a top 5 guy right now. And that's the angle many teams will tell agents. "Cleveland being desperate and overpaying doesn't mean we're desperate and will overpay." (Not shooting at Cleveland here, that's just how teams will approach it.)
Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:15 pm It's basically an NBA type contract and if you ask me, NFL players deserve more than those guys.
I totally agree. NBA players make way, way, way too much money and they run their league. Meanwhile their ratings are dogshit and I would argue that no sport's athletes treat fans worse than NBA players.
Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:15 pm I also heard the the team most pissed about this.. the Ravens.. They have a certain guy at QB that is due a contract and him and his momma agent are going to want something similar.. I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore balks at something like that, he can't throw the football in a league thats all about throwing a football.
Totally buy this. Lamar's been regressing since his first year and it's one of those things that nobody talks about because he's a great person. I think the Ravens will scoff at overpaying him too.
Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:15 pm But you can't help but feel a little dirty right now.
As a Steelers fan I get that thanks to BB.
Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:15 pm I don't think the 3 1st rounders is that big of a loss.
I oddly agree with you here too. All the pieces seem to be in place for a run now, so you're not building. Plus, your picks would be in the later half of the draft. I think the bigger issue will be what happens when other people's contracts start coming due. Watson's contract is going to eat up a lot of salary cap room. Thus, you'll have to watch good players leave and get replaced by older and/or less special ones.

Like I said, I don't begrudge Cleveland for taking their shot, but if it doesn't pay off it could get ugly.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

NFL

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:21 pm Cleveland way overpaid to get him to come there.
I'm just going to call that the Cleveland tax. There's no way a high profile free agent QB is going to come to Cleveland unless you pay the piper.
Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:21 pm but it does set a terrible precedent because he's not a top 5 guy right now.
But that's now how contracts work in the NFL, its the next guy up gets the biggest contract. Remember when Stafford was the leagues highest paid QB when he was in Detroit? We all laughed about that. In a couple years after Lamar, Burrow, Allen, Herbert etc. all get their contracts it will be a top ten contract and he's a top 10 QB no doubt.
Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:21 pm Watson's contract is going to eat up a lot of salary cap room. Thus, you'll have to watch good players leave and get replaced by older and/or less special ones.
Kind of along the same lines as my last comment here. Next year the salary cap is going to balloon as the Amazon television money will be coming in so these big contracts are going to look like a good value at that point. And the way teams are able to restructure contracts and move money around anymore, does it even seem like theres a salary cap??
Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:21 pm if it doesn't pay off it could get ugly.
Well what would that be? Firing everybody, have a fire sale and starting all over again? Nothing new to a Browns fan. :oops:
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Ryan for a third rounder.

Wow.

Saints resign Winston.
Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:50 pm I'm just going to call that the Cleveland tax. There's no way a high profile free agent QB is going to come to Cleveland unless you pay the piper.
Fair.
Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:50 pm But that's now how contracts work in the NFL, its the next guy up gets the biggest contract.
I get that, but that's not always true. I will bet you right now that the next guy isn't getting $230 guaranteed.
Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:50 pm Kind of along the same lines as my last comment here. Next year the salary cap is going to balloon as the Amazon television money will be coming in so these big contracts are going to look like a good value at that point. And the way teams are able to restructure contracts and move money around anymore, does it even seem like theres a salary cap??
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Also, the salary cap is why teams always have to cut people they don't want to cut. It's why every single SB contender has weaknesses and/or very little depth.
Stranger wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:50 pm Well what would that be? Firing everybody, have a fire sale and starting all over again? Nothing new to a Browns fan.
Sadly for you, this is also a fair point.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:07 pm Ryan for a third rounder.

Wow.
The trade will leave a dead-money charge of $40.525 million on the Falcons' salary cap this season. It's the largest known dead-money charge for any player all time, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.
Big oof. Guess it's rebuilding time?
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:17 pm
Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:07 pm Ryan for a third rounder.

Wow.
The trade will leave a dead-money charge of $40.525 million on the Falcons' salary cap this season. It's the largest known dead-money charge for any player all time, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.
Big oof. Guess it's rebuilding time?
Has to be as their best WR is suspended for the year, their O line sucks, their RB corps is shaky, they traded their QB, their D has holes all over, but at least their kicker isn't good!
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:21 pm but at least their kicker isn't good!
Don't forget their TE!

- edit - I misread your "isn't" as "is" Koo is really good.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

I just remember him missing a kick or two last year and it costing me a bet! :D

Looks like Mariota will be the starter in Atlanta.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Told you...

Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

This is funny
This is not
He turned you around from 0-16, won your first playoff game in two decades, and now you're publicly shitting all over him. It's not a good look. Not saying you need him to be your starter, but you absolutely should treat him with respect. Every other player in the league is going to be watching this and thinking, "I'm not playing for an organization that treats players like that."

I mean, was Baker the one calling pass heavy offenses while he was playing hurt or was that the coaches? I don't think Baker has been the one wasting Chubb and Hunt.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

There is a LOT of buzz around the Steelers trying to grab Malik Willis.

I really hope they don't give up the farm to grab him, but I am intrigued by his skills.

Also love all his off the field stuff (like the tweet below and the recent homeless thing caught when he didn't know people were watching). Seems like a genuinely decent human being.
Stranger

NFL

Post by Stranger »

Ron Billmurry? Ballsack sports?? Nah.. i don't buy that OBJ shit for one second.. For one, the guy just blew his knee out a month ago. He blew out that same knee in week 9 of the season before and still missed the first 3 weeks of this past season.

If you buy that then i guess i should believe the Baker to the Steelers "rumors" :lol: :lol: :lol:
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

NFL

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:45 am There is a LOT of buzz around the Steelers trying to grab Malik Willis.

I really hope they don't give up the farm to grab him, but I am intrigued by his skills.
i think they'd have to get ahead of the Panthers who are sitting at 6. They seem pretty content with Sam Darnold right now, which i don't buy. I've gotta believe Carolina is eyeing him early.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:26 am If you buy that then i guess i should believe the Baker to the Steelers "rumors"
Ha! You know how many Steelers fans are buying into that? We've got Dobbs, Haskins, Rudolph, Mitch, and Tomlin's love affair with Willis. No way in hell are the Steelers interested in Baker.

In MUCH bigger news: I swear Goodell watched the NBA free agency and trades steal headlines and started telling teams that he wanted to do the same to them. This is the craziest offseason in a long, long time if not ever.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

It has been a crazy offseason. Or just stupidif you're a Washington fan
Stranger

NFL

Post by Stranger »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:25 pm Or just stupidif you're a Washington fan
The Browns are to the point of either paying a team half (or more) of Baker's salary next year or a draft pic just for a team to take him off their hands.

At the time i thought the Wentz trade was pretty cheap for a starter, but would you rather have Baker than Wentz for absolutely nothing? i think i would.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:52 pm would you rather have Baker than Wentz for absolutely nothing?
Baker all day. He's got a chip on his shoulder and given the correct offense he's been proven to be adequate. He won't win you games, but he shouldn't lose them either. He just needs to be reigned in and kept from being a problem.

I wonder if he'd be a good fit for the Cardinals? He might be an ideal backup for Murray. Maybe a gap filler for Seattle until they draft a new franchise guy? The Giants could use him to push Jones. The Saints could let him compete for the starting job. I think he'd be worth a late draft pick and Cleveland paying for half his salary.

5 draft picks for Hill and he's now the highest paid WR in league history.

I really don't blame the guy at all. He got his ring, now he's getting paid while he's still valuable. That being said, his fantasy stock has to have crashed, although that WR room in Miami looks terrifying for opposing Ds. There's still that Tua issue though...wait...Baker?
TheCatt
Site Admin

NFL

Post by TheCatt »

I can never blame someone for wanting to get paid. Especially if you’ve already got a ring. Get it when you can.
Leisher
Site Admin

NFL

Post by Leisher »

Hmm, maybe the Steelers don't plan on trading away the team for Willis?