Soccer

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:17 pm Got to be embarrassing to get beaten by a country that barely considers soccer to be a real sport.
For back to back titles in the same year, even.
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

USWNT are heartbroken about their crappy showing in Tokyo.

Between the lawsuits and political statements it's pretty obvious soccer has not been their focus.

Silver lining is that it might be a good wake up call to get them refocused.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:52 am USWNT are heartbroken about their crappy showing in Tokyo.

Between the lawsuits and political statements it's pretty obvious soccer has not been their focus.

Silver lining is that it might be a good wake up call to get them refocused.
Maybe the rest of the world got good. Certainly didn't help to lose our keeper. Oh well.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:48 pm FIFA discovered some countries are poor.
Right?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

USA! USA! USA!
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Think we have Mexico’s respect yet?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Back in the late 90s, a friend of mine was CONVINCED that the US would win the World Cup within 20 years, and I told him that would never happen.

We lost touch, or else that fucker would owe me $10.

The US has to struggle to even qualify for the Cup. Last night they tied Jamaica on a lucky call. Canada beat Mexico though, so the US is in 2nd 1 pt ahead of both Mexico + Panama, and 1 pt behind Canada.
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

I just don't think the foundation for a truly good MNT is in place yet. We're getting there, but it's still many years off.

I think professional soccer not being a huge draw is part of the issue, but that is slowly changing.

However, ask your average American kids who their sports heroes are and you will hear Tom Brady, Steph Curry, Freddie Freeman, Tiger Woods, etc. You won't hear many Christian Pulisics. A lot of that has to do with coverage of the sport, which even our generation didn't see a lot of, but it also has to do with salaries.

You want to talk about out of whack? Compare the TV ratings and attendance for the NBA and MLS vs the NFL. Throw in career longevity, and I genuinely wonder how bad the negotiators are for the NFLPA.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:59 am A lot of that has to do with coverage of the sport, which even our generation didn't see a lot of, but it also has to do with salaries.
Cricket... who knew?
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:47 am
Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:59 am A lot of that has to do with coverage of the sport, which even our generation didn't see a lot of, but it also has to do with salaries.
Cricket... who knew?
Isn't cricket the national sport of India? There's 3-5 Billion people there, right? It's got to make some money.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:00 am Isn't cricket the national sport of India? There's 3-5 Billion people there, right? It's got to make some money.
Yeah, but compare those salaries to median Indian people earnings. ($400/month USD)
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Sure, but multiply their cricket spending by 2 billion! :D

Pretty sure it's popular outside of India too. Don't the Brits play it?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:34 pm Sure, but multiply their cricket spending by 2 billion! :D

Don't the Indians recognize that they only play it due to colonization? Racists.
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:54 pm
Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:34 pm Sure, but multiply their cricket spending by 2 billion! :D

Don't the Indians recognize that they only play it due to colonization? Racists.
In the name of all that is holy, don't tell that the everyone in the NBA, MLB, and NFL!
Leisher
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by Leisher »

Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

2021 was lit for US Soccer

Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:59 am I just don't think the foundation for a truly good MNT is in place yet. We're getting there, but it's still many years off.

I think professional soccer not being a huge draw is part of the issue, but that is slowly changing.
Missed this. No way, this is a historic time to be a US Soccer fan and player. Our talent pool is the deepest and best it's ever been. It's not even close, either. A Premiere team had a bid rejected just this week for US a guy you've (probably) not heard of or forgotten about.
This is never before never before seen valuation for US players! https://sempremilan.com/milan-leeds-lei ... n-aaronson

Aaronson is killing it, and he's just one of now a dozen Core guys playing in Europe, and there are another dozen in the wings. Even our backups are getting interest: https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-tran ... er-sources

Basically all the USMNT boys had a great summer winning hardware, and went back to their home clubs and CRUSHED it. Nearly across the board. https://sbisoccer.com/2022/01/antonee-r ... ime-strike
Last edited by Troy on Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Soccer

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:46 pm
Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:59 am I just don't think the foundation for a truly good MNT is in place yet. We're getting there, but it's still many years off.

Missed this. No way, this is a historic time to be a US Soccer fan and player. Our talent pool is the deepest and best it's ever been. It's not even close, either. A Premiere team had a bid rejected just this week for US a guy you've (probably) not heard of or forgotten about.
This is never before never before seen valuation for US players! https://sempremilan.com/milan-leeds-lei ... n-aaronson

Aarson is killing it, and he's just one of now a dozen Core guys playing in Europe, and there are another dozen in the wings. Even our backups are getting interest: https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-tran ... er-sources

Basically all the USMNT boys had a great summer winning hardware, and went back to there home clubs and CRUSHED it. Nearly across the board. https://sbisoccer.com/2022/01/antonee-r ... ime-strike
Counterpoints:

El Salvador 0 USA 0
Canada 1 USA 1
Panama 1 USA 0
Troy

Soccer

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:51 pm
Troy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:46 pm

Aarson is killing it, and he's just one of now a dozen Core guys playing in Europe, and there are another dozen in the wings. Even our backups are getting interest: https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-tran ... er-sources

Basically all the USMNT boys had a great summer winning hardware, and went back to there home clubs and CRUSHED it. Nearly across the board. https://sbisoccer.com/2022/01/antonee-r ... ime-strike
Counterpoints:

El Salvador 0 USA 1
Canada 1 USA 1
Panama 1 USA 0
I don't think we have to be perfect. ESPECIALLY on the road in CONCACAF. If qualifying ended today we would go to the WC.

Expecting our extremely young group to be that consistently perfect is too far.

Also in the two tournaments settings, when it mattered, they were perfect. Two trophies to show for that from 2021.