NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:34 pm I missed UNC's defensive coordinator hire, but seems promising. Apparently Mack Brown's first choice got vetoed (a former DC he had worked with who had mediocre track record).
Mack Brown made a big hire over the weekend, naming the Defensive Coordinator at Army, Jay Bateman, as the Co-Defensive Coordinator for the Tar Heels. He’ll serve in the role along with returning staff member Tommy Thigpen. Bateman will coach the safeties, while Thigpen will take on the role as coach of the linebackers.

So who are the Tar Heels getting with this hire?

Bateman led the Army defense for five seasons, from 2014-2018, and has been coaching since 1997. His first season was a rough one for the Black Knights, as they finished 90th overall in defense and Army only managed a 4-8 record. They were especially poor in stopping the run, giving up nearly 200 yards a game. From that point forward, however, Army managed to rise up the board. They finished 50th in total defense in 2015, and then an outstanding 3rd in 2016. That effort got him nominated for the Broyles Award as one of the top coordinators in the country. They slipped to 33rd in 2017, but jumped back up to 8th this season, and once again he was nominated for the Broyles award, this time being named a finalist.
Well, it may have worked at Army, but Bateman is out at UNC.
Also
Special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach Jovan DeWitt is also out in Chapel Hill.
Now... about our O-Line?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Harbaugh told a recruit that he was indeed listening to NFL offers.

B1G adamant that P5 champs should AQ for the playoffs.

Who the hell would argue that? Honestly, the ONLY people who would argue that are ESECPN. ESPN being financially tied to a conference is like CNN or FOX News being tied to a...wait a minute...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:06 pm Who the hell would argue that?
Have you seen the PAC12 lately?
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:47 pm
Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:06 pm Who the hell would argue that?
Have you seen the PAC12 lately?
Oregon won a CFP game.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:29 pm I somehow missed that UNC got new defensive coordinator, former Auburn HC Gene Chizik. He has a solid body of work as a DC, and UNC's D has sucked nuts lately, so pretty excited.
Gene Chizik 2: Electric Boogaloo
Chizik was named defensive coordinator at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on January 19, 2015.[25] He inherited a unit that had given up 497 yards per game in 2014; only three other teams in Power 5 conferences had surrendered more yards per game. The 2014 team ranked 120th nationally in overall defense. Through 11 games, Chizik's defense had surrendered 384 yards per game, a major factor in the Tar Heels going on a school record eleven-game winning streak and earning their 1st ACC Coastal Division championship.[26] Chizik's 2015 and 2016 defense units ranked 96th and 63rd nationally, respectively. Chizik resigned on February 2017.[27]
2015 + 2016 were some pretty solid years for UNC, and our D has lagged the talent we have, so I'm hoping for a turnaround.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

OSU boosters setting up NIL charitable fund for OSU athletes. It will be run by former OSU QB Cardale Jones. Imagine how much money would be in this thing if Steinbrenner was still alive (he was an OSU grad).

I know Texas A&M already has one and a couple of other schools. I mention A&M specifically because the word is they paid a LOT to get that #1 recruiting class. This is why Saban was complaining about NILs today. Bama doesn't have the money that schools like OSU, Texas, etc. have, so of course, Saban bitches. His statement was basically, NILs are good because the athletes should make money for their efforts, but he thinks there needs to be oversight so one school doesn't have an advantage over another. In other words, he wants a salary cap.

Is that going to be the new way that teams cheat? They'll simply work around the cap and report fake numbers.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

"charitable"
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Right? I love that part too.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Now that the good games are over and MNF is done, I'll probably catch up on Ted Lasso or watch a movie tonight.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Is Harbaugh leveraging the NFL rumors to get a pay raise?

He's holding all the cards right now, and it's pretty telling about our society. He's legit a decent coach who has been winning more than even fabled coach Bo, but this year is the only year he's been close to the results their fans want. Thing is, it could be easily argued that this year was a fluke. They caught Wisconsin before that team got rolling, should have lost to Rutgers and Nebraska if not for controversial calls, had two dominant D linemen, got NFL O and D coords from his brother, caught OSU on a down year defensively and that game was played in the Big House during a snowstorm (where if TTUN doesn't forfeit the year prior it would have been in the Shoe), etc. He's won 1 bowl game, once against OSU, I think once against MSU(?), has a losing record against ranked teams, and his best asst coaches were handed to him from his brother and weren't his own hires.

While it's fun to pick on TTUN, this isn't about that. Why would he be a "hot candidate"? What about that resume screams "hire this guy NOW"?

QB Dart transfers out of USC and peeps think that means Caleb Williams is heading there.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:40 pm Is Harbaugh leveraging the NFL rumors to get a pay raise?
I mean, strike while the iron is hot. Dude took a paycut a year or two ago right?
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:45 pm
Leisher wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:40 pm Is Harbaugh leveraging the NFL rumors to get a pay raise?
I mean, strike while the iron is hot. Dude took a paycut a year or two ago right?
I fully endorse the move. I think he's an idiot if he doesn't run to the NFL or leverage for a better paying deal. I'm just wondering why his success for one year out of six makes people think he's the answer to their problems.

I say that wanting him to stay. :D

I really do think he's a great coach. I just think he might be a better NFL coach than college coach.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Expansion talks fail.

Four years to go before ESPN gets fucked.

Both coaches tonight want NIL regulation.

Shocker. Something comes along that will finally remove their advantages and they want to handicap it. It'll be at the expense of the players too.
Cakedaddy

NCAA

Post by Cakedaddy »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:45 pm
He took a pay cut for the recent season. I feel like he had to.

He had a shit record in the fact that he won a lot of games, but not the important ones or championships. Had been damn near the highest paid coach in college. I have to assume he was about to be fired. Based on all of that, where could he have gone? Who would have wanted him? He took the pay cut, to keep his job, then colluded with his brother to help bail him out. (HUGE props for giving away his bonus money to the support staff though, even after the huge paycut).

He HAS to take a new opportunity. He will NOT be able to reproduce the success of this year, next year. And that will put him right back to where he was a year ago. Under producing coach that no one will want.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:06 pm (HUGE props for giving away his bonus money to the support staff though, even after the huge paycut).
Harbaugh deserves ALL the credit in the world for that. Class move.

But yes, he should get paid NOW because odds are next year's team won't have the same success. If he really wants to be back in the NFL the only two options are Chicago, Jacksonville, and Las Vegas. I don't know if he really wants to be in Chicago, but they have a promising young QB. Las Vegas has Carr, but that interim coach there has kind of earned a first look at the job. Jacksonville is the most interesting. First pick and he can go in and finally beat Meyer by doing well there and turning things around. It's the right climate for him too, but far away from his ultimate destination of CA.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Is that a statement about how UT can't win anything, so they claim anything the SEC does?

Go Dawgs, Fuck Bama!
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:52 am Is that a statement about how UT can't win anything, so they claim anything the SEC does?
It's a slam on the entire SEC, but yeah for some reason Tennessee fans seem to be very vocal on this subject. It's the lame "SEC! SEC!" chants you hear that get mocked in stadiums around the country. Who roots for a conference? Incestuous people that's who. Oh, and they people who make money off of their stupidity, like ESPN.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Way too early top 25.

OSU's D is definitely going to be a question mark.

Bama's WR corps is a huge question mark because Young looked like shit without his two best WRs.

TTUN at #5 is going to be shaky. They're losing very key players, and just lost the coach responsible for their two studs that went pro. They still might lose Harbaugh. They also have a ridiculously easy schedule per a TTUN fan friend (I haven't looked at it, so that might be false?).

I assume UNC is missing because that QB is leaving?
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:43 pm I assume UNC is missing because that QB is leaving?
Finishing 6-7 will probably do that, too.