NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

3rd most expensive resale tickets today: App St vs UNC (behind OSU and some other game, maybe UGA)
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Shiity calls by refs still make me angry. QB is RUNNING past the line of scrimmage, getting tackled, STILL going down (knee not down), 2nd player joins the tackle gets 15 yard penalty for hitting the "qb while he was sliding." HE WAS NOT SLIDING, he was BEING FUCKING TACKLED.

Unbelievably shitty call.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

So, now that the Pac 12 has been eliminated from the playoffs....
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Iowa wins 7-3, no TDs were scored.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Sec won cfp last year. ACC beat sec tonight, ergo ACC are ones to watch out for this year!
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:37 pm Shiity calls by refs still make me angry. QB is RUNNING past the line of scrimmage, getting tackled, STILL going down (knee not down), 2nd player joins the tackle gets 15 yard penalty for hitting the "qb while he was sliding." HE WAS NOT SLIDING, he was BEING FUCKING TACKLED.

Unbelievably shitty call.
What game? OSU-ND? There was a close one there. Also, a really bad targeting call that thankfully was not upheld as the defender was tripped on the way to the QB and fell into him head first. However, the refs also missed a terrible targeting on JSN that should have been called. I don't think it was intentional, but the ND defender ended up hitting JSN in the back of the helmet and neck with a forearm knocking his helmet off.

I was pleased with OSU's game. ND had a great game plan to stop OSU and then losing JSN threw them off, but 2nd half adjustments were key. Turns out Freeman was lying when he said they were focused on stopping OSU's run and they were actually set up to stop the pass. OSU dominated the 2nd half in a big way. Both running it down ND's throat and only allowing ND 20 plays and 79 yards.

ND's TD drive happened only due to a fluke catch by a receiver on the ground that the ball bounced to and their biggest play of the game came thanks to a single missed tackle by a corner.

Jim Knowles is worth the money.
TheCatt wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:35 pm So, now that the Pac 12 has been eliminated from the playoffs....
I've seen that a few places. Georgia looked awesome, but I also think Oregon looked terrible.
TheCatt wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:23 pm Iowa wins 7-3, no TDs were scored.
Saw that one and had to look up to see if I was mistaken thinking it was 3-3 at the half...nope. Iowa just cannot buy offense.
TheCatt wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:38 pm Sec won cfp last year. ACC beat sec tonight, ergo ACC are ones to watch out for this year!
Ha! Not a great start for Brian Kelly at LSU.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:46 pm Ha! Not a great start for Brian Kelly at LSU.
Eh. FSU seems to have it's stuff a bit more together than the past 2 years, we'll see. I don't see them winning the ACC or anything, but being a solid 7-5 team.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Some ND fans, and specifically, a particularly toxic one who talked a LOT of trash throughout the summer have turned trash talk from "ND will destroy OSU" to "OSU didn't cover".

Someone made this for them:

Ed O watching the LSU game...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

The only coach that went with Brian Kelly to LSU from ND was the special teams coach. :D
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:23 am The only coach that went with Brian Kelly to LSU from ND was the special teams coach. :D
lol
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Beat the #5 team in the country by double digits and somehow drop in the polls? It's, literally, the best win on any team's resume in the entire NCAA. I know it all doesn't matter if OSU goes undefeated, but I'd love to hear someone logically explain it. Sure, move Georgia up, but why is Bama still #1 for beating up a daycare class?
Also, Brian Kelly gets roasted by a reporter:
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Man, OSU fans sure like to whine.

WFU gets their QB back.
Hartman, a three-year starter, was sidelined last month with what the school termed a "non-football injury." Tuesday, Wake Forest acknowledged Hartman was diagnosed with Paget-Schroetter syndrome -- also known as effort thrombosis -- a blood clot often associated with repeated strenuous activity.

Hartman underwent surgery on Aug. 9 to have the clot removed, and a follow-up ultrasound Friday confirmed he had no signs of additional clotting.
Also nice when your university is associated with a world class hospital. (Coincidentally, where my dad works)
Dr. Julie Freischlag, the CEO at Wake Forest Baptist, performed Hartman's surgery, and she is a renowned expert in Paget-Schroetter syndrome. She said Hartman's follow-up ultrasound showed "the clot was gone, the blood flow was good, and he felt great."
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:41 am Man, OSU fans sure like to whine.
I see that so much and I think it's very fair, although it's also a way to duck the real issue. OSU is the only non-SEC school that is a perennial championship contender. OSU is the only school (yes, not even Bama) that would have made a 12 team playoff every year.

Yet, OSU doesn't get any of the love that Bama gets or the SEC team that seems like they might be a threat to Bama that year. They also face a constant up hill battle with a typically tougher schedule than any SEC team.
-Bama has played THREE true non-conference road games in 15 years and @Texas this year is one of them. Nobody bats an eye.
-Nick Saban is the loudest voice criticizing ANY change in rules that could impede his ability to take advantage of everything he can and maintain an unfair advantage. Yet when other coaches say anything about the way things are done, they're crucified. Like when Jim Harbaugh wanted to run camps down south and Saban tried to use the full might of the SEC to prevent it because it would allow other conferences to recruit in his territories.
-The SEC was allowing oversigning for a long time and Saban was doing it more than anyone. This hurt kids directly. Nobody cared.
-The SEC still plays high school teams, and unlike the rest of the country who play their non-conference schedule up front, they strategically place these joke games in front of tougher games. Smart? Sure. An unfair advantage that the MSM doesn't call them on? Yep.
-The SEC plays fewer conference games and P5 opponents than any other conference. Nobody cares.
-The SEC is routinely over ranked and over represented in the preseason polls (which shouldn't even be a thing).
-Any scandal or hint of a scandal at OSU or other non-SEC title contender is reporting endlessly by ESPN. Meanwhile, the exact same thing happens at Bama and nobody cares. There's not even a punishment!
-Yahoo sports breaks a story about Cam Newton being paid $850K to attend LSU (or was it Auburn?) and the NCAA can't find evidence of anything despite Yahoo publishing the actual texts!
-Jimbo Fisher accuses Nick Saban and Bama of cheating and paying players for years. Several former players come out and support that claim. ESPN and the NCAA don't investigate. Instead ESPN spins the story to just being about the competitive SEC.
-One of the most blatant poor calls in CFP history cost OSU a victory against Clemson. The review booth official was from the SEC and there were a lot of questions, even from the MSM about how that person was in the booth considering the piss poor ratings he received all year.
-The SEC has been mostly losing in bowl games during their "dominance", yet those same teams will be top 25 to start off the new year.
-To give an example of the SEC bias: unranked Florida barely beats a ranked Utah team in Florida and they jump immediately to #12. Really? Unranked to 12?! Show me where that has ever happened before. Show me where in history a team has ever beaten #5 by double digits and then dropped in the polls. It's never happened before.

SEC bias is very, very real and I could keep going with this list, but you get the point.

So yeah, OSU fans can whine, but it's because they're used to getting fucked over and feeling frustrated.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:28 am Yet, OSU doesn't get any of the love that Bama gets or the SEC team that seems like they might be a threat to Bama that year.
Win more championships. Play in a tougher conference.
Leisher wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:28 am Bama has played THREE true non-conference road games in 15 years and @Texas this year is one of them. Nobody bats an eye.
This is indeed garbage.

But I don't think you can argue any conference is stronger than the SEC, 8 games or 9.
Leisher wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:28 am To give an example of the SEC bias: unranked Florida barely beats a ranked Utah team in Florida and they jump immediately to #12. Really? Unranked to 12?! Show me where that has ever happened before. Show me where in history a team has ever beaten #5 by double digits and then dropped in the polls. It's never happened before.
I dunno, but Utah was #7 before the game. #12 seems excessive. But let the meat of the season sink in and we'll see what happens.

There's just not enough games yet or in a season to have perfect rankings.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:00 pm Win more championships.
OSU has the third most CFP wins at 6. Only Bama and Clemson have more, and if not for one of the worst calls in history OSU would be at 7 minimum and Clemson at 9.

There are a lot of people who would argue that playing harder games all year make it tougher once the playoffs begin when you're playing teams who have played cupcakes.
TheCatt wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:00 pm Play in a tougher conference.

But I don't think you can argue any conference is stronger than the SEC, 8 games or 9.
I would never argue "stronger than", but I would argue equal to...

(NOTE: This is strictly football. In other sports, things would dramatically change.)

Take the SEC and the B1G side by side and they're very similar conferences. Both have one clear superior program (OSU/Bama). Both have several programs one tier down that alternate years of being relevant (Wisc/MSU/TTUN/PSU/LSU/Auburn/Florida/Georgia). Both have solid mid tier schools that go up and down, but have years of brilliance and failure (Iowa/Purdue/Minnesota/Miss St/Ol Miss/A&M).Both have bottom feeders that are an embarrassment (Northwestern/Vanderbilt).

Take away the preseason rankings and I don't think the SEC has half of the top ten rankings it has had over the years. For years the joke has been "What SEC team is grossly overrated in the top ten and won't even be ranked by the end of the season?" Typically, it's been LSU or Auburn. Florida feels very artificially bumped to give Georgia a boost when they play them. The ultimate goal being to get Georgia and Bama into the CFP.

Hilariously, one of the items I left off the list is the thing only SEC people do and is very related to the stuff above: "They were ranked #4 at one point and we beat them!" It doesn't matter they were unranked when their SEC team beat this team, just that the team had previously been ranked #4. And there's the one we hear annually from them thanks to the falsely bloated preseason rankings, "When we played them, they were #_." A great example here is when Bama played TTUN in the Jerry Dome. TTUN was ranked #5 by the preseason polls. NOBODY knew why or how that happened. They were a mess of a team. It was either that year or the year prior when they lost at home to Appalachian State (still DII at that time) and Toledo. TTUN finished the year unranked, but there they were on Bama's resume "#5 Michigan".

Just because people who invested BILLIONS into a conference tell you it's the best, doesn't mean it's the best. At what point do you count all the advantages I listed against the supposed best? At what point do you actually count wins and loses of conference members not named OSU or Bama? At what point does someone say, "Georgia looked great against #11, but they were at home. OSU looked like they answered the questions about their D and we know that offense is explosive. They won by double digits at home against #5. Meanwhile, Bama beat the perennial CFP contender Utah State...maybe they're the team we should punish in the rankings?" At what point do you stop saying, "SEC can't win bowl games because it doesn't mean anything, but then proclaim it to just 'mean more' for them"?

Again, OSU beat the #5 team in the country by double digits. They do so only allowing 10 points and less than 300 yards total offense. They also scored 3 offensive TDs against a defense that will end up being one of the best in the country and a team that will probably be in the CFP conversation at year's end. OSU DROPPED in the polls. Meanwhile, Georgia didn't score an offensive TD in a home win against Clemson last year that ended 10-3 and we were all told it was one of the most dominant wins in history. That same Clemson team went on to miss the CFP and struggled to score points on anyone all year.

There is, literally, no excuse for the way the rankings played out other than "SEC bias" and that's exactly why OSU, and honestly any fan of non-SEC schools, whine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:20 pm OSU has the third most CFP wins at 6. Only Bama and Clemson have more, and if not for one of the worst calls in history OSU would be at 7 minimum and Clemson at 9.
I can't hear you over their 8 year drought.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Well shit man, how the fuck do you expect OSU to win in football when UNC is out there dominating everyone!? :D
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:46 pm Well shit man, how the fuck do you expect OSU to win in football when UNC is out there dominating everyone!? :D
WE HAVE MORE UPSETS THIS YEAR THAN OSU! Yall should schedule up more.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

The best thing about the ASU-UNC game, both teams were considered #26-35 type of teams, with lots of votes. Now ASU has no votes, and UNC has like 2.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Clemson resigns Dabo to a long term $100M contract.

Yeah, this tracks. Sure, his teams lately haven't been as good, he's lost all his good assistants, and there's enough evidence out there to think he's probably racist and a trash human being. Still, Clemson can't do better and the second Dabo leaves, they become irrelevant again.