NCAA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Well, that's a little surprising.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Title IX incentivizes creative accounting.
ozens of schools take advantage of a loophole allowing them to count male practice players as female participants when reporting their numbers to the Department of Education. Last year, Penn State counted 21 male practice players across five women's sports. UConn, Michigan and TCU are among the schools whose women's basketball teams last year counted more male practice players than actual female players.
I don't quite understand what is happening there.

Actual Title IX Words:
"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance."
Not quite sure how those words turned into what we have today, honestly.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Oh...
They received a brief reprieve in 1984 when a Supreme Court ruling removed Title IX’s applicability to college athletics. That ended four years later when Congress passed a law overriding that Supreme Court decision.

Finally, when it was clear Title IX was going to have staying power, athletic administrators began considering new ways to satisfy the law while still protecting their chief revenue-producing sport. They needed a means of achieving proportionality without trimming their football rosters, slashing other men’s sports or busting their budgets adding new women’s teams.
And here's how they counterbalance football:
Ohio State has reported to the Department of Education an average of 105 women’s rowing participants over the past five years. Michigan, Alabama and Clemson have averaged during that same stretch 113, 107 and 95, respectively. And those are all dwarfed by Wisconsin, which regularly exceeds 160 women’s rowers and reported a roster of over 200 in 2011 and 2012.
https://sports.yahoo.com/counting-men-a ... 07743.html
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

As the article states, although buries, this is all because legislators won't exempt football from Title IX. Do that and this immediately goes away.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:44 pm As the article states, although buries, this is all because legislators won't exempt football from Title IX. Do that and this immediately goes away.
Feels too logical.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:11 pm ACC drops divisions.
duke every year. Yay
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Now breaking news and language changed to "it's happening".

Start the clock for how soon the SEC pillages the ACC. They'll take their top two picks and then the B1G will grab the next two. I'm crossing my fingers we get UNC and Duke. :D

Or do the ACC or Big 12 try and make a pitch to Oregon?
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

That's a pretty giant footprint reach for B10.

What's the point of conferences now?they're all so big they may as well just be one conference
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

I love it
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:15 pm Now breaking news and language changed to "it's happening".
2024, it's on.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

LA TImes is saying no, but this guy is standing by it. This is the guy who broke Texas/OU to the SEC. Interesting.
What does the ACC do? The SEC has to be looking at them now for their other 4(?), while the B1G will need two more to get to 20.

Miami, FSU, Va Tech, UNC, Duke, Pitt, and Clemson will be the most wanted. Am I missing anyone?
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

So much NCAA news on the last day of June...weird.

Video showing Texas A&M not buying players :D
TheCatt
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:02 pm Miami, FSU, Va Tech, UNC, Duke, Pitt, and Clemson will be the most wanted. Am I missing anyone?
I'd not have Va Tech, Pitt, or Duke in that top tier. I'd put them in a middle tier with NCSU.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

I'm hearing Oregon and Washington's bids to join the B1G are on hold until ND makes a decision.

If ND joins, perhaps only Oregon joins the B1G.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Also, this entire move was apparently spurred by Fox USC and UCLA reaching out to the B1G not the other way around.
Leisher
Site Admin

NCAA

Post by Leisher »

Former Bama player, now with Texas, sells his championship rings. Nothing will be done. Just like nothing has been done about the constant allegations about Bama for years and years. Jimbo Fisher worked there and said they were paying players. Nothing. Former players came out and said they were offered money to go there. Nothing.