NBA

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: They're not only down, but they're down huge from previous years as well.
I mean, it's not apples to apples
But a lot of that appears to do with the fact the league has been forced to broadcast games during weekday afternoon hours — when television viewing typically suffers regardless of programming.

That is especially the case in the summer.
Overall, this season's primetime games have averaged 2.74 million viewers, up 16 percent from the first Thursday of the 2019 playoffs. Games in primetime are those that tip off later than 8 p.m. EST (and 7 p.m. EST on weekends).
Mostly, it will be interesting to see how those ratings are impacted once more teams are eliminated and all the games move to primetime.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

NBA ratings had already been falling as people were sick of superteams among other things.

Up 16% in primetime during a pandemic when people are stuck home and there's, literally, no other sports is not good.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: NBA ratings had already been falling as people were sick of superteams among other things.

Up 16% in primetime during a pandemic when people are stuck home and there's, literally, no other sports is not good.
In the past 18 years, the ratings have been remarkable consistent, averaging in the low 2s for regular season, outside of a brief 10-12 spike up to 3.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Don't we have articles in this very thread about ratings being way down last year? Slate even has a piece about it blaming China, Trump, and whitey.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Don't we have articles in this very thread about ratings being way down last year? Slate even has a piece about it blaming China, Trump, and whitey.
So...
In a piece published in the Athletic last week, Ethan Strauss reported that the ratings for network NBA broadcasts have declined by 45 percent since 2011–12.
Is more like 33%...
TheCatt wrote:
In the past 18 years, the ratings have been remarkable consistent, averaging in the low 2s for regular season, outside of a brief 10-12 spike up to 3.
But if you go back to my statement, that 2010-2012 spike is the aberration, since 02-09 ratings were also low 2s.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

But I keep hearing about how popular the NBA is and how it's only a year or two away from overtaking college football and the NFL...
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: But I keep hearing about how popular the NBA is and how it's only a year or two away from overtaking college football and the NFL...
I think it has (had?) a bigger social media presence for a while cuz people could share clips, etc... but ratings-wise... it aint the 90s.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Lakers and Clippers claim they have quit this season.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Lakers and Clippers claim they have quit this season.
Huh.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Both teams say they're done playing in the name of social justice.

Colin Cowherd and Jamele Hill both tweeted about it last night, as did ESPN, I think? I read the comments under Jamele Hill's post, and if Twitter is be believed, very few people give a shit.

Article.
Eventually, teams were polled about what their preference would be, and the Lakers and LA Clippers both voted to end the season, sources told Wojnarowski, though sources stressed that no final decision on what will happen with the remainder of the season has been made.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

They are coming back... at some point.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

NBA players might think a lot more of themselves then we do...
The shooting prompted numerous N.B.A. players and coaches to express frustration and anger that the various measures they have been taking for weeks to support the Black Lives Matter movement, such as kneeling during the national anthem and wearing jerseys bearing social justice messages, were having little impact.
Did they really think those things were going to change everything?

This guy is a champion in the UFC if you don't recognize the name: :D
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

The officials lost control of Game 6 in the Celtics-Raptors series.

Nurse was WAY too far from his bench and was, literally, standing on the court. Tatum clearly is throwing the ball to him. Tatum is being classy by taking the blame, but Nurse has no right, by rule, to be anywhere near the court. I'm guessing the NBA will have a chat with him privately and he'll be closer to his bench in Game 7.

The NBA also came out and apologized for missed calls on Kemba (a Celtic) that would have iced the game and series for the Celts.
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

Ratings are way down.

Top three reasons why according to some poll.

1. Too political
2. Boring without fans
3. China (I have no idea what this means)
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: 3. China (I have no idea what this means)
Remember the whole China fiasco? Some executive was pro-Hong Kong or something?
Leisher
Site Admin

NBA

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Daryl Morrey the GM of the Houston Rockets tweeted "Free Tibet" and China has since banned the NBA. Why is that a reason not to watch? The NBA didn't fire Morrey.
TheCatt
Site Admin

NBA

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
Daryl Morrey the GM of the Houston Rockets tweeted "Free Tibet" and China has since banned the NBA. Why is that a reason not to watch? The NBA didn't fire Morrey.
I think it was because people though the NBA was too nice to China after that incident, trying to suck up to them.
Cakedaddy

NBA

Post by Cakedaddy »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
I think it was because people though the NBA was too nice to China after that incident, trying to suck up to them.
Agreed. Boycotting watching because of China feelings.