Boxing

Hey look a dedicated forum for sports stuff, sanctioned by the President of Sports.  Hail Shiva.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The biggest fight in boxing history is expected to take place May 2.

"I once watched Gentleman Jim Corbett fight an Eskimo bare-knuckled for a hundred and thirteen rounds! Back then, of course, if the fight lasted less than fifty rounds, we demanded our nickel back!"

C. Montgomery Burns

Like this. Bare knuckle boxing match. In Mississippi, outside in a swamp in the middle of summer. Naturally, the Irishman was hungover.
As Kilrain attempted to stagger back to the ring for the start of the 76th round, Donovan threw a sponge into the ring. Although Kilrain protested, the fight ended after two hours, 16 minutes and 25 seconds.

So what are these two old guys with pussy gloves doing now?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Fighter dies. Australian medics want the sport banned.

Then it'll be MMA, then the NFL, then Rugby, etc.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

"You're not allowed to hit the organs beneath the belt whereas you're allowed to hit the organ above your shoulder which is the most important organ in the body."

Because some fucking idiot made a rule that requires them to wear gloves. That's causing your head injuries.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I think Manny got soft.. What a joke this fight is going to be.

<span><object width="560" height="315">
<param name="movie" value=">
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>
<embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>
</object></span>
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I would laugh so fucking hard.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That article actually makes me consider putting money on Manny.

Tyson, as dominate as he was, wouldn't fight old man Foreman. Why? Foreman's style was a perfect counter to Tyson. He had a height and weight advantage, could take a beating, and dropped hammers harder than Tyson. Tyson always ducked Foreman and boxing being a shitty, corrupt sport allowed it.

I wonder if Mayweather has been doing the same to Manny?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:That article actually makes me consider putting money on Manny.

Tyson, as dominate as he was, wouldn't fight old man Foreman. Why? Foreman's style was a perfect counter to Tyson. He had a height and weight advantage, could take a beating, and dropped hammers harder than Tyson. Tyson always ducked Foreman and boxing being a shitty, corrupt sport allowed it.

I wonder if Mayweather has been doing the same to Manny?
Wish Ali was about two decades younger so he could've fought Mike.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

If you wanted a dream fight of fighters that were unstoppable in their prime, you'd have to go Tyson vs. Marciano.

Also, I just read that Mayweather plans to retire at 47-0. Tied with Marciano, but he will not fight to beat the record. If he holds to that, I will gain a boatload of respect for him.

(He still beats women though, so...)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sugar Ray Robinson. I still call him the best ev4r.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

My best ever heavyweight is still Marciano.

Best ever Middleweight is Hagler, and yes, that fight was rigged. Fuck Leonard. He got his ass kicked.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:My best ever heavyweight is still Marciano.

Best ever Middleweight is Hagler, and yes, that fight was rigged. Fuck Leonard. He got his ass kicked.
Even that's quite a statement. And no way is Hagler the best in his weight class. Sugar Ray would whup his ass.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leonard lost that fight. Boxing has all but admitted it. Judges now have gone back and scored it by watching tape and all have Hagler winning. There was a Sport magazine at the time, I think called "Sport" that did an expose on the judges involved. Let's just say they all mysteriously came into money.

As for Robinson, maybe. The thing about Haglar is that he's the anti-Mayweather. He was an offensive fighter. He had serious power that most middleweights don't have.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

There is only one Sugar Ray. It ain't Lenny.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

So....? Anybody watch?

Edited By thibodeaux on 1430660672
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

No. Not for a c-note. Heard it was less interesting to watch than the weigh-in. If you could watch it.
And, if these two men do meet again, hopefully the likes of Time Warner Cable, DirecTV, Comcast, Dish, Optimum (and all the rest) will have their shit together. Fans in dozens of cities around the U.S. reported service outages or connection problems, meaning they were unable to watch a fight they had paid between $90-$100 for. Understandably, that made for an interesting night on Twitter, and frustrated subscribers turned sites like Twitch and video-streaming apps like Periscope into impromptu viewing parties.

Edited By Malcolm on 1430668886
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Oscar De LaHoya tweeted an apology to boxing fans once the fight was over.

ESPN ran an article last night essentially calling Mayweather's career a joke.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

"Rematch? Oh sure, for another $100M."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Rematch isn't the issue. The issue is that Manny was injured and they lied about it.

He and his trainer could go to jail. Vegas is concerned about a potential class action lawsuit from gamblers. (I want my $5 back!)