2016 Maple Sap Batches

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
GORDON
Site Admin

2016 Maple Sap Batches

Post by GORDON »

This year I did 2-five gallon batches, because the beer is sofa king good I wanted extra this year.

I only used 1 5-gallon bucket on 1 tree so when we had a warm snap in February I got 5 gallons of sap in about 3 days, and I immediately brewed a batch to free up the bucket and put it back on the tree. It got cold after that so it took about 10 days to fill the bucket again, but immediately brewed that batch up, too.

I let the first batch ferment for about 4 weeks, and the second batch fermented for about 2 months mostly because bottling is a several hour process and sometimes I procrastinate. But I always taste at the end... basically I suck out whatever beer is left in the siphoning hose when I finish with the last bottle... and that second batch tasted even better than the one that fermented shorter. I may let them go longer in the future.

Someday I may get off my diet and start drinking beer again.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

2016 Maple Sap Batches

Post by GORDON »

2017 batches: tree is tapped.
16586925_10154385494917825_8513605310185016595_o.jpg
Tapped it yesterday afternoon, and the tree is running sap like a mother fucker and I am going to have to make the first 5-gallon batch tomorrow. I bought ingredients for an American Light, and a Kölsch. I love a Kölsch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GORDON
Site Admin

2016 Maple Sap Batches

Post by GORDON »

Made the American Light. It's been colder today, typically the sap won't run as fast... maybe Saturday or Sunday for the next batch.
GORDON
Site Admin

2016 Maple Sap Batches

Post by GORDON »

I have 2 5-gallon batches bubbling.