Beer by color

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
Paul

Post by Paul »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I think their color grading is off, those middle beers are not intense red like that.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:I think their color grading is off, those middle beers are not intense red like that.
I think that may have to do with:
1) the condensation on the glass
2) the placement of the light in relation to the liquid

But yeah, it looks a bit too bright. The hues on the outer left edges of the red group is a better illustration. You kind of have to stare to see through the water droplets on the outside.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The last time I saw an actual red beer was in Nebraska, Empyrean brewing, I think. "Burning Skye Scottish Ale. It was red.... in 2002.

Drove through Nebraska again a couple years ago, hit the brewery. It's no longer red... reddish brown. Rumors are they used to use food coloring.

I looked into brewing a red beer when I started brewing... "smoked grains" don't get it done. I saw suggestions to use food coloring. I don't consider that kind of cheating to be true red beer.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

You obviously don't have enough iron in your water.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."